hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1995 Off-Season

2,370 posts in this topic

The "New York" on the white jersey is a little hard to read. Overall though, a good look for NYC.

Thanks for the feedback, I thinned out the stroke around the wordmark on the white jersey. I'll post it with the next season, it does look better. I've been out of town for the last few days but I'm hoping to post the 1950-51 season sometime tomorrow. I also want to mention that I'm adding some basic league info to the first post so be sure to check that out as well.

Here's 1950-51:

1950-50.png

Logo & Uniform Changes:

• New York updates their logo and overhauls their uniforms, changing their colour scheme to Navy and Red.
  • Detroit makes slight changes to their uniforms.

Standing:

Canadian Division

1. Buffalo
  2. Hamilton
  3. Montreal
  4. Toronto

American Division

1. Boston
  2. Chicago
  3. Philadelphia
  4. New York
  5. Detroit

Season Summary:

1950-51 played out very similar to the previous season. Buffalo and Boston dominated the regular season with Boston sophomore Tommy Cooper continuing his dominance, leading the league in scoring. Detroit continued their struggles, finishing last overall, Hamilton came on strong at the end of the season on the strength of rookies Ted Forbes and Dan Towers. Montreal started the season strong but lost 9 straight at the end of the season, dropping to third place in the Canadian Division.

In the playoffs, New York pulled off a major upset against the Boston Bulldogs before losing to the Chicago Shamrocks in the American Division final in an emotional 7 game series. Buffalo appeared to be on their way to a third straight Lewis Cup making it all the way to overtime in game 7 of the Lewis Cup final, before Chicago's Don Saleski scored in the second overtime to give the Shamrocks their third Lewis Cup.

Playoff Tree:

51_1.png

Classic Games:

51%20classics.png

I'll add the season highlights tomorrow, I just had to get something posted. Sorry for the delay.

1950-51 season has been updated with the classic games. I'm thinking about getting rid of the season summaries and doing the classic games instead. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

The classic games feature is really cool, but I think the overall story would be too difficult to follow without the season summaries.

1 person likes this

Yeah I think you guys are right. This season took forever to put together but now that I have a template for the games it should be a faster process. I'll keep going with the summaries. Thanks for the feedback!

As the 1950-51 season was coming to a close, the owners of the 9 teams voted to add a tenth team to the league to replace the defunct Vancouver franchise. Jean Poulette, a millionaire from Quebec City had been pushing the league to award him a franchise for years, beginning in 1948 when he had attempted to purchase the Philadelphia Redshirts to move them to Quebec. In May, 1951, Poulette finally got his wish when the league awarded him it's tenth franchise. He named it the Quebec Nationale, the name he had intended to use three years earlier. The team would use a logo featuring a fleur de lis overlaying a stylized "Q" in a colour scheme of black, blue, and white. Fans in Quebec City were ecstatic. After years of traveling to watch the Montreal Royale play, they now had a team of their own.

Here is the logo & uniforms for the Nationale:

que.png

quej.png

The summer of change continued in Quebec during the 1951 off-season, as the Montreal Royale redesigned their logo & uniforms. The Royale updated the crown logo to feature the team name, and added a second shade of red to the uniforms.

mtl.png

mtlj.png

As always, C&C is appreciated.

Any comments on Montreal and Quebec? The '51-52 season has been simulated, I'll probably post it tomorrow.

Quebec and Montreal look really good

I like the stylized Q for Quebec. It looks kind of like it's skating away.

I think I would like the logo more, and it would be a better fit in the 50s, if it was just blue and white. At the same time, with Toronto already being blue and white, and Detroit blue and white and yellow, it would probably be too difficult to give them a distinct identity using such a similar color scheme.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll experiment with just blue and white on the Quebec logo tomorrow before I post the next season, I'll probably leave the black on the uniforms for distinction from the other blue-based teams.

Also, as we move along with the 50s, I'll be moving away from simple clip art and letter based logos and introducing much more interesting and detailed logos that I created from scratch. I already have a lot of them done so it will start to get more interesting now.

Quebec looks pretty solid to me! As for Montreal, I like the rebrand you gave them, but the wordmark seems off center to me inside the crown. You are still doing great however! Can't wait for the 1951-52 season!

1951-52:

Season Summary:

The summer of 1951 was an eventful one in the PHL. The league expanded to ten teams with the addition of the Quebec Nationale, New York released long-time goaltender Dick Wallace, and Philadelphia recruited two phenoms, goaltender David Zimmer, and winger Richie Moore. The additions did not, however, translate to regular season success for Philly, as they finished fourth in the American Division. 34-year-old Dick Wallace, determined to make the Civics look bad for releasing him, signed with the expansion Nationale and turned in one of the best goaltending performances in history, leading Quebec to a miraculous second place finish. Disaster struck in Buffalo, superstar David Poulin suffered a career-ending injury when he was sent feet-first into the boards during a game in early December, leaving him crippled. Rookie goaltender Billy Jeffery led the New York Civics to a second place finish, with Civics forward George Allen making history as the first player in PHL history to score 50 goals in a single season.

In the playoffs, Quebec's Magic ran out early on as they lost to provincial rival Montreal in six games, while Hamilton took down Buffalo in seven games before sweeping Montreal to the final. Boston had a tough road to the finals, taking out Philadelphia and New York in two emotional seven game series. In the Lewis Cup final, the Kings won game one before Boston swept the last four to take their fifth Lewis Cup.

1951-52.png

Logo & Uniform Changes:

• The league adds a tenth franchise, the Quebec Nationale, who make their debut wearing Blue, Black, and White uniforms.
  • Montreal changes their uniforms, introdcing a new logo and a second shade of red.

Standings:

Canadian Division

1. Hamilton
  2. Quebec
  3. Montreal
  4. Buffalo
  5. Toronto

American Division

1. Boston
  2. New York
  3. Chicago
  4. Philadelphia
  5. Detroit

Classic Games:

cla52%20classics.png

Playoff Tree:

52.png

Champs_1.png

Just looked at this on my phone and realized I put the wrong year on the championship banner. I'll fix it when I'm at the computer again.

Another Spike in the Bulldog's Collar *Snickers* Good to see the Nationale doing well in their first season

Yeah Boston is certainly proving to be the league's model franchise so far. Speaking of the Bulldogs, they're probably next up for a rebrand and I need some opinions on something, I initially was going to switch them to red jerseys simply because the new logo looks a little better on red. The issues are that there are already 3 red teams in the league but no other black teams, and the black look now has 5 championships behind it. Any thoughts?

I would say that Boston should keep the Black Look as you said, there are already 3 Red teams in Buffalo, Montreal and Philly, and you also have Hamilton with Red being prevalent. So Maybe Boston keeps the black as Primary color perhaps finding a new accent color to go with it?

I think you're right, and the new logo does work on black as well, and it's hard to change a team's colour scheme around too much when there's now actually a history behind it. I actually originally planned on using black and gold for the Bulldogs but couldn't keep it from looking too much like the Bruins. I think the red works better as an accent.