hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1995 Off-Season

2,380 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2017 at 1:12 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

I think I have a new favorite player in Crowley...I can't root against a Minnesota kid restoring some pride in his home state.

It's official, I am now solidly on the Jason Crowley bandwagon after a month to think it over. Go Cardiac 'Jacks!

 

I still can't believe they beat the Chops and Appleby's Seeds though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, three-peats are next to impossible anyway...but my Chops are getting the Cup back next year.

 

'Til then...go Concordes!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hawkfan, are you going to upgrade any logos in the near future? Because some of the teams (California, LA, Denver, Minnesota, St. Louis, Toronto) really need a sprucing up.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RightGuard said:

hawkfan, are you going to upgrade any logos in the near future? Because some of the teams (California, LA, Denver, Minnesota, St. Louis, Toronto) really need a sprucing up.

Denver's is classic and I feel like there's doesn't need an upgrade...granted I feel like they are gonna go full 1990's to Mid-2000's  Buffalo Sabres later in the decade.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RightGuard said:

hawkfan, are you going to upgrade any logos in the near future? Because some of the teams (California, LA, Denver, Minnesota, St. Louis, Toronto) really need a sprucing up.

 

Yes, in fact about two thirds of the league will have new or updated logos & unis by 2000, including all the teams you mentioned. Minnesota will update their logo next season and get new jerseys, Denver will be the first team of the decade to undergo a full rebrand around 92-93. Everything but the name will be changed drastically, including the colour scheme. California will undergo a similar rebrand shortly after that and by the mid 90s, sometimes up to four teams a year will be making changes. The 90s will be a fun decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hawkfan89 said:

 

Yes, in fact about two thirds of the league will have new or updated logos & unis by 2000, including all the teams you mentioned. Minnesota will update their logo next season and get new jerseys, Denver will be the first team of the decade to undergo a full rebrand around 92-93. Everything but the name will be changed drastically, including the colour scheme. California will undergo a similar rebrand shortly after that and by the mid 90s, sometimes up to four teams a year will be making changes. The 90s will be a fun decade.

However, I'm getting a feeling that this will be scrapped for at least a couple years if they win the Cup, similar to the North Stars' black jerseys that died during the Cup run...

 

Also, you know, I completely forgot that the Racers existed. So there's that.

PRE-POST EDIT: Before I pressed the [Submit Reply] button, I realized while looking at Hawkfan's sig that there are many more teams I forgot about: Ottawa, Quebec, Detroit, Winnipeg, Calgary, and Washington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

However, I'm getting a feeling that this will be scrapped for at least a couple years if they win the Cup, similar to the North Stars' black jerseys that died during the Cup run...

 

Also, you know, I completely forgot that the Racers existed. So there's that.

PRE-POST EDIT: Before I pressed the [Submit Reply] button, I realized while looking at Hawkfan's sig that there are many more teams I forgot about: Ottawa, Quebec, Detroit, Winnipeg, Calgary, and Washington.

 

Minnesota will probably go ahead with the change either way, as nothing really drastic will be changing. The logo will simply be an updated version of the current logo, the colour shades will be tweaked just slightly, and the striping on the jersey will change. Also, the team will wear a 25th anniversary logo on the jersey (as will Winnipeg) for the 1990-91 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is about the same time frame that the Penguins introduced the Robo-Penguin after winning two Stanley Cups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well should be an interesting Finals. The top team vs the ultimate underdogs. Sounds like a cheesy movie. Except unlike in a movie the underdog is gonna lose.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see First Czech Player of the league..so we can expect Vana to remain in the league until today xD 

Otherwise, I'm throwing my hat in with the Jacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing as Nova Scotia choked in the first round to the Bullcraps, I'm guessing their chances at a cup are dwindling and their chances at a relocation are rising?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1990 Lewis Cup Finals

http://phlnetwork.blogspot.ca/

 

 

 

LCF2.png.a03b68170c33fd38d1f4714231b35465.pngThe 1990 Lewis Cup Finals featured the first overall Long Island Concordes, and the Cinderella Minnesota Lumberjacks. Long Island was making their third appearance in the championship round after proving unsuccessful in their previous two visits. For the young Lumberjacks, this was the first trip to the finals. Only one player, defenseman Clint Allen, had experienced Minnesota’s last Lewis Cup victory in 1979.

Game one on Long Island turned out to be closer than expected. After Long Island took a 3-0 lead early on thanks to goals from Stuart Burns, Craig Davidson, and Don Taylor. Minnesota scored twice before surrendering another goal, this time from Alan Chadwick. It appeared that Long Island had control already. Suddenly, halfway through the third period, the “Cardiac ‘Jacks” struck once again, scoring two quick goals from Jason Crowley and Jacob Lundholm to tie the game at 4-4. The game would go into overtime, where Doug Macintyre would be the hero for Long Island as the Concordes won 5-4.

 

Game two would also go into overtime, where goaltenders Pascal Renaud and Jeff Brackley both turned in a stellar performance as one extra period turned into two, then three. About halfway through the third overtime, Theo Sprouse’s point shot beat Brackley to give Long Island a 2-0 series lead. Game three in Minnesota was unofficially a must-win game for the Lumberjacks as another loss would put them in a 3-0 hole. “We know what we need to do and we’re confident we can get it done at home” said Jeff Winslow. Minnesota opened the scoring on a goal from Matt Cunningham, and the ‘Jacks held on through to the end of the second period, when two quick goals from Burns and Davidson gave the Concordes the lead. Minnesota made a desperate push in the third period to tie the game, pulling Brackley for the extra attacker. Brian Reese slid the puck into the empty net and the Concordes hung on for a 3-1 victory and a commanding 3-0 series lead.

 

Now playing for pride, the Lumberjacks were determined to get at least one win in game four. The game was tied after two periods, before Pavel Vana broke the tie with a breakway goal. Jason Crowley would score late in the game to extend the lead to 4-2 as the Minnesota crowd gave their team a standing ovation. Heading back to the Island for game five, the Concordes had an opportunity to win their first Lewis Cup on home ice, and they would not disappoint the 18150 fans in attendance. Stuart Burns, who would ultimately be named playoff MVP, would score two goals while Sprouse and Macintyre each added goals as well in a 4-1 win as the Concordes won their first Lewis Cup in franchise history. In his final act as PHL Commissioner, Alan Garcia handed the Lewis Cup, which now had a new section added to hold more names, to Stuart Burns. It was a fitting end to Garcia’s tenure, as the Commissioner had pushed for a second New York franchise since taking over in 1966. Darryl Byrd would now officially take over as head of the PHL as the league embarked on a new era.

 

 

          LCF.thumb.png.5761487ef7173dc1bd9d8442c9f0fce9.png

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hawkfan89 said:

1990 Lewis Cup Finals

http://phlnetwork.blogspot.ca/

 

 

 

LCF2.png.a03b68170c33fd38d1f4714231b35465.pngThe 1990 Lewis Cup Finals featured the first overall Long Island Concordes, and the Cinderella Minnesota Lumberjacks. Long Island was making their third appearance in the championship round after proving unsuccessful in their previous two visits. For the young Lumberjacks, this was the first trip to the finals. Only one player, defenseman Clint Allen, had experienced Minnesota’s last Lewis Cup victory in 1979.

Game one on Long Island turned out to be closer than expected. After Long Island took a 3-0 lead early on thanks to goals from Stuart Burns, Craig Davidson, and Don Taylor. Minnesota scored twice before surrendering another goal, this time from Alan Chadwick. It appeared that Long Island had control already. Suddenly, halfway through the third period, the “Cardiac ‘Jacks” struck once again, scoring two quick goals from Jason Crowley and Jacob Lundholm to tie the game at 4-4. The game would go into overtime, where Doug Macintyre would be the hero for Long Island as the Concordes won 5-4.

 

Game two would also go into overtime, where goaltenders Pascal Renaud and Jeff Brackley both turned in a stellar performance as one extra period turned into two, then three. About halfway through the third overtime, Theo Sprouse’s point shot beat Brackley to give Long Island a 2-0 series lead. Game three in Minnesota was unofficially a must-win game for the Lumberjacks as another loss would put them in a 3-0 hole. “We know what we need to do and we’re confident we can get it done at home” said Jeff Winslow. Minnesota opened the scoring on a goal from Matt Cunningham, and the ‘Jacks held on through to the end of the second period, when two quick goals from Burns and Davidson gave the Concordes the lead. Minnesota made a desperate push in the third period to tie the game, pulling Brackley for the extra attacker. Brian Reese slid the puck into the empty net and the Concordes hung on for a 3-1 victory and a commanding 3-0 series lead.

 

Now playing for pride, the Lumberjacks were determined to get at least one win in game four. The game was tied after two periods, before Pavel Vana broke the tie with a breakway goal. Jason Crowley would score late in the game to extend the lead to 4-2 as the Minnesota crowd gave their team a standing ovation. Heading back to the Island for game five, the Concordes had an opportunity to win their first Lewis Cup on home ice, and they would not disappoint the 18150 fans in attendance. Stuart Burns, who would ultimately be named playoff MVP, would score two goals while Sprouse and Macintyre each added goals as well in a 4-1 win as the Concordes won their first Lewis Cup in franchise history. In his final act as PHL Commissioner, Alan Garcia handed the Lewis Cup, which now had a new section added to hold more names, to Stuart Burns. It was a fitting end to Garcia’s tenure, as the Commissioner had pushed for a second New York franchise since taking over in 1966. Darryl Byrd would now officially take over as head of the PHL as the league embarked on a new era.

 

 

          LCF.thumb.png.5761487ef7173dc1bd9d8442c9f0fce9.png

After years of heartache, struggles, and near misses...FINALLY Strong Island soars above the rest. Also Thank you Commissioner Garcia for your years of great service in running the league! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fitting end to a wonderful story! Fly high long island!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LET'S FREAKIN' GOOOOOOOO

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two Teams Unveil 25th Anniversary Logos, Minnesota Unveils New Uniforms

http://phlnetwork.blogspot.ca/

 

 

Two PHL franchises will celebrate a quarter-century in the PHL in 1990-91. The Minnesota Lumberjacks and the Winnipeg Pioneers were the PHL's first successful attempt at expansion to Western North America in 1966 and will both commemorate 25 years in the league with special logos that will be worn on the jerseys throughout the 1990-91 season.
 

                           25.png.64367c4f89160a280348f543f145206e.png


The Minnesota Lumberjacks also unveiled their new logo and uniforms just weeks after their thrilling run to the Lewis Cup Finals ended. A cleaned up, modernized version of the classic saw logo remains the focal point, with the color scheme adjusted. Steel Blue replaces the Royal Blue, while the Green remains unchanged. The jersey striping has also been overhauled with a new angled design meant to invoke treetops. This is the first alteration the Lumberjacks have made to their uniforms since 1978 and the first to the logo in the team's history.
 

        Minnesota.thumb.png.3e2d29df5315770a165b07a3fffcc8f6.png
8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it. We are heading headfirst into the nineties. I have to say I never liked the original Lumberjacks logo but the updated version looks a lot better. I'm also loving that jagged stripping. Gives a toughness to the set. 

 

Kinda wish they had a green alternate though. Maybe we'll see that later? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pioneers should never change their logo- I just love it because it's just so simple and looks like something that could carry on for a long while eg Boston Bruins logo etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ~Bear said:

I love it. We are heading headfirst into the nineties. I have to say I never liked the original Lumberjacks logo but the updated version looks a lot better. I'm also loving that jagged stripping. Gives a toughness to the set. 

 

Kinda wish they had a green alternate though. Maybe we'll see that later? 

One more vote for a green alternate here!

I still love what you did with the Jacks; the pine tree inspired design is so Minnesota. I'd buy a Crowley jersey so quick if I could.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! Third jerseys are likely coming around 1994. I actually have a black jersey in the works for the 'Jacks which looks pretty cool but it will probably only last a year or two. That will be their "black for black's sake" phase. After that they will almost certainly come out with a green alt at some point.

 

2 hours ago, Spanna65 said:

The Pioneers should never change their logo- I just love it because it's just so simple and looks like something that could carry on for a long while eg Boston Bruins logo etc.

 

Funny you should mention the Pioneers, I just decided the same thing yesterday. I was working on a possible new logo for them and ultimately decided against it. There will be updated jerseys for them around the mid-90s but the logo will probably stay almost completely untouched until present day.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now