hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1995 Uniform Updates

2,368 posts in this topic

This is my first time really posting anything on here but I've been reading and following these forums and this site for several years now. For the past year I've been closely following the AFA project (History of a Fictional Football League, http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/98092-history-of-a-fictional-football-league-new-orleans-krewe-field/) and it inspired me to create a fictional league of my own for Hockey. Using the site https://www.random.org/lists/ I've been simulating through the seasons and creating logos & uniforms for each team. I've started the league at the 1939-40 season, with nine teams. I have results completed through the 1945-46 season as well as uniform changes so I will post one season every few days until I'm caught up, at which point I will begin posting the seasons as they happen. Because I've already completed a few seasons, the designs for the first few seasons will be pretty much set in stone but I will be accepting feedback as we get into re-branding & expansion in the '50s and '60s.

Current Year: 1995

logos94.thumb.png.2454e0d6d5da0992f7202c107d7d01d3.png

List of champions:

1940 - Toronto

1941 - Windsor

1942 - Chicago

1943 - Boston

1944 - Boston

1945 - Boston

1946 - Boston

1947 - Hamilton

1948 - Chicago

1949 - Buffalo

1950 - Buffalo

1951 - Chicago

1952 - Boston

1953 - Hamilton

1954 - Hamilton

1955 - Chicago

1956 - New York

1957 - New York

1958 - Toronto

1959 - Boston

1960 - Quebec

1961 - Quebec

1962 - Quebec

1963 - Detroit

1964 - Toronto

1965 - Quebec

1966 - Montreal

1967 - Nova Scotia

1968 - Montreal

1969 - Detroit

1970 - Detroit

1971 - Boston

1972 - Minnesota

1973 - Detroit

1974 - Detroit

1975 - New York

1976 - LA

1977 - LA

1978 - LA

1979 - Minnesota

1980 - California

1981 - Calgary

1982 - St. Louis

1983 - Chicago

1984 - St. Louis

1985 - Pittsburgh

1986 - St. Louis

1987 - St. Louis

1988 - Milwaukee

1989 - Milwaukee

1990 - Long Island

1991 - St. Louis

1992 - Montreal

1993 - Boston

1994 - Chicago

1995 - Montreal

5967e25e5f20d_LewisCup.thumb.png.d8bd062867447abcc082245a5087f673.png

Here are the uniforms for the 1939-40 season. The template is a modified version of one I found online and will be updated as the series moves along. I wanted to keep the early logos very simple so I mostly used letters & clipart, although I created some (Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia) from scratch. logos will become more original in the future.

Uniforms.thumb.png.877d4e106a0dc2f7e2758338039cdf72.png

Standings:

1. Hamilton
2. Detroit
3. Toronto
4. Chicago
5. Montreal
6. Boston
7. Philadelphia
8. Windsor
9. New York

For two decades, pro hockey was played in three major leagues; the Southern Ontario Hockey League, the American Professional Hockey Association, and the Quebec Hockey League. After years of fighting between the two leagues it was decided to create a new league made up of the top teams from each league and the Professional Hockey League (PHL) was formed with former Toronto Racers owner Henry Lewis elected as league president. The Hamilton Kings dominated the regular season on a 30-goal effort from 10-year veteran Johnny Williams. The New York Civics finished last place despite a big rookie season from 16-year-old Sam "Skippy" Cleveland. The Toronto Racers caught fire in the playoffs, defeating Chicago before pulling off a huge upset over the rival Kings in the semifinals to face the Montreal Royale in the finals. In the best-of-5 final, Montreal took a 2-0 series lead before the Racers stormed back to win the championship with winger Wally Girard scoring the winner in game 5.

I find Hamilton and Philly a touch too close color wise, and kinda uniform wise.

1 person likes this

I noticed that too, Hamilton will be one of the first teams to alter their look in a couple of seasons partly for that reason. Thanks for the feedback!

If I find a software I like, you might see me doing one of these~

We do need someone to start a Baseball or Basketball one now ;)

I've been developing a basketball one, but I'm not sure about it...

Here's 1940-41;

1941.thumb.png.9fd9777282723efca54f992f52ed73df.png

Uniform & Logo Changes:

• The Erie Penguins are added as the PHL's tenth franchise. They wear black and white sweaters with "Erie" running down the front.

Standings:

1. Montreal

2. Phialdelphia

3. Windsor

4. Boston

5. Hamilton

6. Toronto

7. Chicago

8. Detroit

-------------

9. New York

10. Erie

Season Summary:

The PHL kicked off it’s second season by introducing it's first expansion team, the Erie Penguins. With the addition of the Penguins, the league now stood at ten teams, with eight now making the playoffs. Erie purchased the roster of the struggling Moncton Lions of the Canadian Minor Hockey League and recruited some young players of their own as well, the result was a last-place finish. Montreal dominated the regular season with a 33-4-3 record to take first place overall, while the Philadelphia Redshirts dramatically improved to second-place on the stellar play of second-year goaltender Bill Lawrence. In the playoffs, Windsor managed to take out the defending champion Toronto Racers, before upsetting the Montreal Royale to advance to the league final. In the finals, the Wings swept the Hamilton Kings in 3 straight games to take the championship. Tragedy would strike shortly after, however, when league president Henry Lewis was found dead in a Windsor Motel the morning after game 3. Doctors said he died of a heart-attack.

1 person likes this

In the late 40's you should start to expand west in Canada and maybe a little bit out to the Mississippi river. This is really cool, though

This is great! Totally looks like a 1940's league, and I love how you play the results.

1941-42:

1942.thumb.png.ceaa48933f576fa1ae8fbe6a1e3459e9.png

Logo & Uniform Changes:

• Realizing that their uniforms are very similar to the Philadelphia Redshirts, the Hamilton Kings change to a primarily blue uniform.
  • The Erie Penguins make a slight adjustment to their white sweater.
  • Montreal updates to maroon pants.

Standings:

1. Windsor

2. Philadelphia

3. Montreal

4. Chicago

5. Hamilton

6. Toronto

7. Boston

8. Erie

-------------

9. Detroit

10. New York

Season Summary:

The 1941 offseason was a difficult one for the PHL. The death of Henry Lewis weighed heavily on everybody. Ed Norman was named league president in Lewis' place and his first move was to donate a new championship trophy in his name, the Lewis Cup. The Windsor Wings picked up where they left off, winning their first 21 games of the season and eventually finishing first overall with star winger George Allen leading the way with 36 goals. Erie reached the playoffs for the first time in franchise history but lost to Windsor in 2 straight. The Chicago Shamrocks capped off a mediocre regular season with a big run in the playoffs, led by the "Kid" line of Willy Redman, Johnny Garfield, and Bob Stevens. Toronto bounced back after a somewhat dissapointing 1940-41 season to reach their second final against the Shamrocks. The Racers won game one of the final and appeared to have the upper hand in the series, until goaltender Marcel Roy was suspended for the remainder of the series for am attack on referee Bernie Smith. Chicago took advantage of inexperienced netminder Bip Gelinas, winning the Lewis Cup in 4 games.

595a51bcdac4d_1942Playoffs.thumb.png.2dea40ca1db11528a73f962063489134.png

1 person likes this

Nicely done so far.

Are all these teams going to survive the second World War?

1 person likes this

Well I don't want to give too much away but let's just say the war will begin to take a toll on the league very soon.

Here's 1942-43:

1942-43.png

Logo & Uniform Changes:

• Montreal simplifies their look, eliminating the "barber pole" striping, leaving only a few stripes on the arms and waist.

Team Standings:

1. Windsor

2. Chicago

3. Montreal

4. Detroit

5. Boston

6. Hamilton

7. Philadelphia

8. New York

------------------

9. Toronto

Season Summary:

World War II began to take it's toll on the PHL at the start of the 1942-43 season. The Erie Penguins were forced into bankruptcy early in the summer while a large part of their roster signed up for military duty. In September, 1942, The Penguins were forced to suspend operations, leaving the league at nine teams. Despite facing serious financial difficulties of their own, the Windsor Wings continued to dominate during the regular season, once again finishing first overall. George Allen led the team in scoring. The New York Civics finally reached the playoffs with Skippy Cleveland leading the league in scoring and goaltender Dick Wallace leading the league in shutouts. Toronto struggled all season after losing several stars to the military, plummeting to last place. In the playoffs, Windsor dominated New York and Montreal to reach the finals, where they would face the Boston Bulldogs. The Bulldogs never let the Wings into the series, defeating them in 3 straight.

I like the uniform changes that montreal undertook, nicely updated.

Nice series. I'm excited to see what kind of twists you have planned

1943-44:

1943-44.png

Team Standings:

1. Boston

2. Chicago

3. Windsor

4. Hamilton

5. Toronto

6. Montreal

7. Detroit

8. Philadelphia

------------------

9. New York

Season Summary:

The 1943-44 Season began with several teams weakened by the war effort. Windsor in particular saw 5 of it's players leave for military duty including superstars Gil Matthews and George Allen. In the wake of dissapointing season, Toronto and Hamilton both fired their coaches after the 1942-43 season. The Racers hired longtime winger Chuck Patrick as their new head coach and improved to 5th place. New York once again found themselves outside of the playoff picture. However, there would be a twist at the end of the season. The once powerful Windsor Wings, depleted from the war and losing money every day, would be forced to suspend operations at seasons end, reducing the league to 8 teams and allowing New York into the playoffs. This would be the only time in history that every team in the league would participate in the playoffs. In the playoffs Boston proved to be dominant once again, soundly defeating New York, Detroit, and Chicago to become the first team to win back-to-back Lewis Cups.

You're off to a good start so far! Although, shouldn't Montreal be called the Royales? Or is Royale intentional? However, that's the only nitpick I have, as the uniforms fit perfectly in the 1940s. Keep up the good work!