hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1999-00 Regular Season

First time expansion committee member Julian De Luca, a lawyer in Newark, has given his two votes. Born on 24 July 1940, De Luca is an avid Civics fan and owns one of the most respected law firms in the world, 'De Luca Lawyers', which have bases not just in Canada and the United States, but also all around Australia, New Zealand, Latin America, most of east Asia and most of Europe with plans to hit the African market soon. He wants to be involved with the future of the league.

1. Houston - Houston has potential to be a very strong hockey market and will actually help further grow the game in Texas - an immediate rivalry with the Desperados will be beneficial not only to the Houston team, but also to the Dallas Desperados and Texan hockey. It's too big of a market to ignore. The fans in Houston desperately want their own team!

2. Atlanta - Atlanta certainly have been waiting for their own team and hockey fans in the state of Georgia will increase heavily if an Atlanta team is added - the eastern Deep South needs a hockey team. The stadium is of a good quality and Cartwright wants to commit to the franchise - he will be dedicated to help Atlanta succeed!

3. Portland - Portland is a very committed hockey market but the problem is its size. Despite creating potential rivalries with the Grey Wolves and Nuggets (and the Bighorns to a lesser extent), the league wouldn't grow as much with a Portland team compared to a Houston and Atlanta team.

4. Tampa - Floridians have warmed to the Stingrays and the stadium is very strong, but the city is not exactly ready yet - especially if a basketball team is formed - adding two teams at once is dangerous.

5. Phoenix - A lot of people in Arizona can get into the game. Whilst the owner wants to commit to the proposed team, the people in Phoenix are unfamiliar with the game and it would more be a relocation market. Potentially there will be more away fans in matches against the more popular teams in the desert.

6. Memphis - Whilst it helps grow the game in Tennessee, the problem is the lack of arena. It's too big of a risk if there is not a 100% chance a modern arena will be built.

Joseph "Jumping" Jack, 46. A lifelong native of PA, and Redshirts fan. Jack is arguably one of the greatest basketball players all time in the (PHL equivalent to the NBA). He played most of his 19 year career with the Philadelphia Bulldogs, except for a season in Chicago. As a lifelong hockey fan, and known sports idol he got onto the PHL expansion committee nearly by name along, along with being the highest paid basketball player all time, and business mogul as he owns a chunk of shares in multiple growing technology companies.

1 Atlanta: the strongest big, really not much wrong here.

2 Portland: while the league may not make to much money off this move the fan support would be enormous, uniting all of Oregon under one team, instead of 2 (or three if you count those weird Bighorns fans)

3 Tampa (Bay): while the fan support isn't all there with the Stingrays and other sports, they have the most suitable arena out of the expansion teams and if played right could be one of the most popular teams in the league (similar to the Lightning)

4 Houston: With struggling Dallas (already lost a team, almost 2 now) and New Orleans (might not even make 10 years, let alone 5) there 'fans' don't seem to be all there. I see Houston as more of a relocation city for either NO or Dallas

5 Phoenix: unknown fan support, and hockey in the desert isn't always a great idea (cough Coyotes) and without a billionaire owner who can take the fall for years (cough Dallas) I don't think the desert is ready, yet.

6 Memphis: how can you play hockey without an arena?

Charles Venable of Salt Lake City, Utah is the head of Zion Automotive Company and is back for the next expansion council. The 1990's have been brought great new opportunities with the end of the Cold War and challenges due to shifting demand in the US. The company is also on shaky ground due to Venable diverting vast amounts of the company's assets into the genesis of a new branch of the company building rockets for private space travel/NASA adoption.

1. Houston- Knew this market had a lot of potential in 1989. Dallas may just be a graveyard for franchises and that should not reflect on Houston. At the very least, this could actually help the Desperadoes with attendance if there is an in-state rival.

2. Portland- Can you actually judge a market based on it's performance 30 years ago in some upstart Mickey Mouse league? No. Portland may be a crowded market, but there is a reason for that crowded market and it's that hockey sells in the Pacific Northwest. Portland will be no exception.

Michael William Von 33 Years old Owner Of Hartford Chips Proud to be The Fast Snack Chips Of PHL

Vote

For

Atlanta And Houston 

Raphael Vega, 25 tech entrepreneur, creator of the Vega Prism, Vega Tech's first foray into the video console market. Tony is keeping a close eye on all the best players as face as he hope to have the rights to video game licences.

Atlanta and Memphis.

Simon Vance, 52. A Radio shock from Salem, Oregon who has spent the last 30 years rueing the loss of Portland's previous franchise. Determined to make the universe right again.

Portland

Houston

William DeMarco, an emerging TV mogul from Charlotte with a plan to buy immediate rights for these two expansion teams. 

1. Houston. Despite any potential concerns for poor fanbase support, DeMarco feels this large of a market cannot be ignored.

2. Atlanta. Once again, it's such a large market it wouldn't make sense to not try.

3. Memphis. DeMarco wants more teams here in the south, where his TV stations reign supreme.

4. Phoenix. DeMarco feels this market can be proven with some education and a strong start.

5. Portland. A third team in the Northwest just doesn't make sense right now.

6. Tampa. Although it's in the south, the fear over a basketball team getting more fanfare is too worrisome for DeMarco.

Ashley Jones, currently a trainer for the Winnipeg Pioneers, but at one time, was a phenomenal coach in a short lived girls league. And her father is one of the owners of a PHL minor league team and a senator for the state of Tennessee. Born and raised in Lexington K.Y. She is disappointed Cincinnati was not an expansion option, but is not too surprised. Her father has given her the opportunity to vote for him. Her lists goes as:

Atlanta: Such a big, untapped market, looks to be a goldmine.

Portland: Makes more sense than Houston, especially with the unsuccessful attempts in Dallas.

Houston: If not Portland, Houston is the next best option.

Memphis: If not Atlanta, Memphis is the next best option. Plans can be arranged for a stadium, and she feels it will bring more to Nashville than Tampa.

Phoenix: Doesnt make too much sense, but its worth a try.

Tampa: Miami has had mediocre success and has been forgotten since they were added. With better options such as Memphis and Atlanta, Tampa seems unlikely.

Ron Parker, 35, a multi-millionaire who lives in Malibu, California and is a proud supporter of the Wizards. His votes go to Portland and Houston. 

Don King, the owner of an enormously sucessful hotel chain on the east coast, and has been a lifelong PHL fan and a heavy trade partner. His votes are as follows:

Portland, the 3 way rivalry between vancouver seattle and portland would be legendary.

Tampa, as the owner of many hotels in tampa Mr.King has seen the hunger for hockey in Florida and is a firm beleiver.

Dorothy Coachman, 55, is a lifelong hockey fan who began playing herself at Yale in the late 60s and helped to organize the unofficial World Championship Hockey Tournament for Women in the late 80s. She is currently president of public university in western Washington state and serves on the board of directors at a national securities firm. Her votes are for:

1. Portland. A little biased based on region and while it would gain the league little in initial prestige, Coachman feels the long-term benefits of the instant regional rivalries are substantial enough to award a team to Portland. Add in a brand new arena, and it's hard to pass up.

2. Memphis. Coachman votes for Memphis hoping the high risk will pay off a higher personal reward and reach a demographic not typically associated with professional hockey. 

After some quick analysis, it looks like the top three cities are starting to pull away....but it's really close between those three. I'm excited to see which direction Byrd goes on this one.

Results so far in the spoiler:

Spoiler

ATL: I I I I I I I I I I I I I (13)

POR: I I I I I I I I I I I (11)

HOU: I I I I I I I I I I (10)

TB: I I I I (4)

MEM: I I I I (4)

PHX: I I (2)

Ken Van Middlesworth is a Canadian business man who owns a chain of sporting goods stores in Ontario/Quebec/Eastern Canada which is headquartered in Toronto.

He's very big in giving back to the sporting communities and supports grassroots sporting programs. He has season seats in Montreal, Quebec and, Toronto corporately but also has a pair of season seats in Toronto for personal use

1. Portland. Arena plans are in place, a local owner with deep pockets, a fan base that wants the team. Seems like a home run.
  2. Atlanta. Big TV market, strong fan support, new arena. Seems like, at least on paper, it would make sense from a business perspective. 

Richard Jameson is a Texan oil magnate and has interest in hockey expanding to his area. He votes for Houston because he feels like it will have a better fanbase than Dallas and can support a team. He also votes for Portland because he is interested about a team there, with its arena, good fans, and a possible rivalry with Seattle

Ty Mueller is young, 25, brash and cocky and very wealthy. He founded the leading search engine and email provider, Cerca (think current Google). He's not afraid of risks, but also know that you have to cater to your customers (or fans in this case). Ty makes a big deal out of this, making a video featuring his choices, being presented by the Cerca ferrett mascot, Nexus. His choices:

1) Memphis - a fan base that wants hockey, close enough to form a rivalry with St. Louis. The risk of not having an arena already is outweighed by the chance to be THE biggest ticket in town.

2) Portland - Fans in place, rivalries available with Seattle, Vancouver and the Nuggets in the Bay Area.

I heard a rumor that the owners of the Grey Wolves, Bighorns, and Nuggets are putting pressure on Byrd to avoid Portland. No evidence, just speculation.

50 minutes ago, Cardinal said:

I heard a rumor that the owners of the Grey Wolves, Bighorns, and Nuggets are putting pressure on Byrd to avoid Portland. No evidence, just speculation.

Im sure Cratt would also support that idea...

On 11/7/2017 at 3:10 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

Phoenix - This has disaster written all over it. An owner that doesn't seem truly committed to the city (he tried to get a team to Oakland last round), an unknown fanbase, and 2 years in a tiny arena outside of the future home market. The desert doesn't seem like a great place for hockey, either.

Tempe is not outside of the future home market at all — it's the home of ASU, only about 9 miles to the east-southeast. (That seems to be irrelevant given the fact that nobody likes this bid at all, though I can see Byrd being a maverick on this one.)

2 hours ago, Raymie said:

Tempe is not outside of the future home market at all — it's the home of ASU, only about 9 miles to the east-southeast. (That seems to be irrelevant given the fact that nobody likes this bid at all, though I can see Byrd being a maverick on this one.)

Oh. Shows how much I know about Arizona, I guess.