hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1999-00 Regular Season

Victor Laurenitas  (64) is a Canadian politician and Athletic Director at the University of New Brusnwick.  After a long but not particularly noteworthy career as a Liberal MP, he served as Minister of State (Sport) from 1993-1996.  He was always a hockey fan, but his involvement with the national team during that time moved hockey from an interest to an obsession.  He left the cabinet in 1996 to become the athletic director at UNB, and has overseen several successful years for the Varsity Reds, as they lost the national championship game in 1997, and won it all in 1998.

He casts his votes for Portland and Atlanta.  Though Portland is smaller than its competitors, he is highly skeptical of expanding professional hockey into the South too quickly.  Though the threat of oversaturating the market is real, he has more confidence in the ability of the Pacific Northwest to handle an additional team than the ability of Florida or Texas/the Gulf Coast to do so.  Phoenix has too many question marks, and Memphis's bid is laughable.  Of the Southern franchises, he believes that Atlanta is most likely to thrive.

EDIT: lol, Berniecrat

Dave Wade

Age 52

A businessman from Orlando, FL, frequent Disney World guest and a Miami Stingrays season ticket holder. Born in Winnipeg, ice hockey is in Wade's blood. Although he never reached the PHL, as an amateur player, Wade still has a love for the sport. By trade, he is a music manager working for one of the hottest boy bands in the world, but in his spare time, he runs a recreational roller hockey league with teams across Orange and Osceola counties.

Once Wade was invited to the PHL's expansion committee to add two teams for the 1999-2000 season, he selected Portland and Tampa Bay. When asked to defend his choice of Tampa over consensus favorite Atlanta, Wade reasoned that it was a hassle to commute from Orlando to Miami whenever he had time off to see the Rays, and often, he'd have to allow an entire day and a half just to attend a Friday night contest. Portland on the other hand was an easy pick, as Wade was well aware of the potential geographic rivalries with the Wizards, Nuggets and Wolves.

Maxime St-Beaudoin, 33 and the head coach of the Moncton Narwhals of the Atlantic Hockey League is one of the more respected figures in Hockey as leads one of the more steady franchises in the league. He brings a hockey focus to the council being in the game since birth, due to a malignant nerve issue he never played professionally but has coached his entire life around New Brunswick. Maxime casts his votes for 

Portland: Maxime knows all about the rivalries of the areas that he plies his trade so having a team plop itself into the region can certainly stir up some pots.

Memphis: The power of being the only ticket in town is a thing that can not be underappreciated 

Graham Helm (47) is the highly regarded top play-by-play man for the PHL on CBC Sports. Helm has been with the CBC for over 3 decades, having covered the olympics, every Lewis Cup since 1979, including the most recent in Montreal, where Helm interviewed head coach Don Shelburne when he announced his retirement. After another busy season, Helm has set his eyes on his first expansion committee. With an inclination towards smaller and more northern markets, Graham has decided to vote for:

1.) Memphis: A rather small market, but real potential for a unique and passionate fanbase. 

2.) Portland: Although the Pacific Northwest is crowded, Helm sees no reason why not to give Portland a team besides that.

Edited by La Sainte-Flanelle Du Nord
Capitalize "Lewis Cup"

I regret ever thinking Phoenix was a good place to put a hockey franchise . . .

Damon Jude (51) is a American businessman and lover of walruses.  Growing up in Murfreesboro, TN, Jude was taught the value of hard work. He took the experience he learned on his father's dairy and rutabaga farm and applied it to his wildly successful business of selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door. Over time, he grew to be one of the most successful vacuum salesman the world has ever seen, but he had one big secret, he had grown to hate vacuums. So he sold his inventory, and left the vacuum market to be a financial adviser, he accidentally mastered the stock market and became one of the nation's leading investors, Now that he is way richer than intended and vacuum cleaner free, he is ready to help out the sport he loved as a child; field hockey. But seeing as there are no major professional field hockey leagues, this one will have to do.

He casts his votes for Memphis and Portland.  As a Tennesseean, Jude realizes what a major boost a professional sports team would be for the morale (and better yet the economic status) of Memphis and all Tennessee. He believes that even though hockey isn't big in the south, Memphis will latch on to the team as an escape from the darker aspects of the city. (I mean seriously, have you been down the dark alleys over there? They're super scary.)  He chose Portland because he feels as though that giant hockey base needs a team to unite around to stay into the sport as they currently are.

Hey guys, lots of great profiles here! I'll probably close this out tomorrow and announce the winning cities on Monday. I apologize for being absent throughout the process, I've literally been just working and sleeping for the last few days. I was finally able to catch up on all the profiles today. Thanks to everyone for participating!

37 minutes ago, MSO94 said:

I see the real world facts of Atlanta being a crap hockey town is not in the picture.

And the fact that having three teams in the same area isn’t enough to keep a fourth team out. Oh well.

Hey NOLA, Houston wants your team. Its only a matter of time...right? ;)

Grant's back, and he ain't happy...

Name: Grant Walker

Current Residence: Stellarton, NS, CAN

Position: CEO of Walker's Friendly Neighborhood Grocery

Grant Walker never paid much attention to sports. Growing up in Northern Nova Scotia under the watchful eye of his father Wilson, he was expected to study hard in school and get ready to take over the family business. As Wilson Walker grew his chain of grocery stores across Atlantic Canada, the demands grew greater. Grant was solely focused on acquiring the business acumen his father had to learn from hard trial and error. By the age of 30 he was ready to take over. When Wilson Walker passed away in a tragic fishing accident seven years later, Grant began to take the company national, expanding across the country.

As the expansion went through its ebbs and flows, Grant was determined to make his family name known across the land. There was something missing in his life however. As the behest of his wife Maggie, the pair took an extended spring vacation to Halifax to get Grant's mind off business for a change. The spring of 1987 was a wonderful time for sports in Nova Scotia, and the Walkers were soon caught in the vortex of excitement that was Claymores hockey. Experiencing it live for the first time, Grant slowly became hooked. He promised Maggie they would return to Stellarton as soon as the playoff run was done, but Nova Scotia kept winning, and winning. By the time the finals rolled around, Grant was as much a diehard fan as the rest of the province.

He wanted to get involved in the PHL as soon as he could, seeing a tremendous growth opportunity in Canada's game. Despite the fact that no Canadian cities were up for bids in the next round of expansion, Grant wanted to make sure he had a say to ensure the continued stability of a league he had grown to love.

At least, until Darryl Byrd got involved...

By ripping away his beloved Claymores and sending them down south, Walker became appalled at what the league was becoming. Canadian roots were being ignored for garish Sun Belt frivolity and fizzle. As Walker's Grocery expanded across Western Canada, Grant nearly turned down an offer to sit on the latest expansion council, but he couldn't resist having at least some say in where the future of the PHL was heading, and potentially picking a new Dallas to be moved away at a later date...

In the expansion council, Grant casts his lots for:

1. Houston - The biggest market with no hockey team, it's a win-win. Either the team flourishes with a deep-pockets owner and becomes ingrained in Texas culture, or it's another Metros situation and the team moves to another location, possible when the dollar improves up north. Houston was also Grant's third choice the first time around.

2. Memphis - Grant likes the plucky bid from Tennessee and the chance to be the only show in town. Having seen how crazy Halifax was for its Claymores, the Memphis team has a chance to capture the market in the same way and become a Mecca for hockey in the South. Or fold and move within 10 years when an arena isn't built. Either or.

3. Atlanta

4. Tampa Bay

5. Phoenix

6. Portland

Portland, Atlanta Welcomed as PHL Franchises

Beginning in October, 2001, the cities of Portland, Oregon, and Atlanta, Georgia will be home to PHL franchises. The PHL expansion committee voted Portland, Atlanta, and Houston as the top three candidates with Portland receiving the most votes. The three cities then went to a league vote among the 28 owners where Atlanta was unanimous and Portland barely edged out Houston. "We're very excited to welcome these two great communities to our league" said commissioner Darryl Byrd. "I believe these markets have a lot to offer to the league and the game itself." Even Portland's biggest opponent, Seattle owner Kevin Emms, welcomed the new franchise to the league. "We want to give a big welcome to the city of Portland" said Emms. "We couldn't defend our territory in the boardroom so I guess now we'll just have to do it on the ice. I can't wait to see how this rivalry develops." For Atlanta, the announcement marks the end of a long road that began during the 70s, when the city seemingly did not stand a chance against the likes of Edmonton, Long Island, or Washington to get a franchise. With the PHL boldly moving more into the south during the 1990s, the dream was suddenly in reach for the city.

The Eastern Conference will not be realigned, Atlanta will be inserted right into the now-four-team South Division. In the West, Denver will move back to the Central in time for 2000-01 while Portland will play in the Pacific. No team names have been settled on yet.

I wanna offer my condolences to @Cardsblues02 since his bid for Houston ended up falling through. I'm thinking one of two possible outcomes could happen: either a team relocates there or they win a bid in the next expansion committee. Personally, I'd like to see the league expand to 36, but that's just me.

25 minutes ago, RightGuard said:

I wanna offer my condolences to @Cardsblues02 since his bid for Houston ended up falling through. I'm thinking one of two possible outcomes could happen: either a team relocates there or they win a bid in the next expansion committee. Personally, I'd like to see the league expand to 36, but that's just me.

Ah thank you RightGuard. It is a very sad evening for the city of Houston.

Cratt will get his team. He is rich enough to buy the Sound (I think) so Houston should have a team soon. Speaking of the Sound, any updates on the situation in Louisiana? 

18 minutes ago, Cardinal said:

This confirms NOLA to Houston in the near future in my mind

I hope! Hopefully before 2003 or so. 

5 hours ago, hawkfan89 said:

Portland, Atlanta Welcomed as PHL Franchises

Beginning in October, 2001, the cities of Portland, Oregon, and Atlanta, Georgia will be home to PHL franchises. The PHL expansion committee voted Portland, Atlanta, and Houston as the top three candidates with Portland receiving the most votes. The three cities then went to a league vote among the 28 owners where Atlanta was unanimous and Portland barely edged out Houston. "We're very excited to welcome these two great communities to our league" said commissioner Darryl Byrd. "I believe these markets have a lot to offer to the league and the game itself." Even Portland's biggest opponent, Seattle owner Kevin Emms, welcomed the new franchise to the league. "We want to give a big welcome to the city of Portland" said Emms. "We couldn't defend our territory in the boardroom so I guess now we'll just have to do it on the ice. I can't wait to see how this rivalry develops." For Atlanta, the announcement marks the end of a long road that began during the 70s, when the city seemingly did not stand a chance against the likes of Edmonton, Long Island, or Washington to get a franchise. With the PHL boldly moving more into the south during the 1990s, the dream was suddenly in reach for the city.

The Eastern Conference will not be realigned, Atlanta will be inserted right into the now-four-team South Division. In the West, Denver will move back to the Central in time for 2000-01 while Portland will play in the Pacific. No team names have been settled on yet.

F-A-N-TASTIC!  Both will be VERY well-ran and supported.  I trust you will have some FANTASTIC identities planned for them! (Would post my suggestions, but wanted to wait until at least somebody else had first)

Its nice to see my votes were correct, though I see NO or another team relocating to Houston soon, or even the next council if you expand past 30, 36 is a nice round number for teams. Portland and Atlanta have always been two of the harder teams for myself to name in my own fictional leagues.

For Portland I suggest, Redwoods (state fossil of Oregon and a known symbol), any sort bear such as Grizzlies, Spirits, or even Cascades with a bear logo (it could bring a neat rivalry with Seattle because bears are bigger and somewhat fiercer than wolves), Cascades with a mountain logo as well, Beavers (bringing Ottawa to the PNW), Chinooks (state fish, but the new fictional drive ball league uses that name), Explorers/Pioneers, Herons (city bird). 

For Atlanta, first thing I thought of was Firebirds or Phoenix, but Veras uses the name Firebirds and they might be to similar to the Flames, Turtoise and shark teeth are also state symbols but don't think any names could work with Atlanta, maybe a native name like what the Braves did (even though they were called that for decades before Atlanta) such as Tribe, Cherokee, or Eagles. Thats really all I can think of for Atlanta. 

Cant wait to see your designs and takes on these cities. 

10 hours ago, MBurmy said:

F-A-N-TASTIC!  Both will be VERY well-ran and supported.  I trust you will have some FANTASTIC identities planned for them! (Would post my suggestions, but wanted to wait until at least somebody else had first)

I won't make you wait long. Atlanta Blaze/ Blazers, Americans, Warriors. Portland Rosebuds, Ice, snowhawks, thunder birds.

45 minutes ago, CodeG said:

Its nice to see my votes were correct, though I see NO or another team relocating to Houston soon, or even the next council if you expand past 30, 36 is a nice round number for teams. Portland and Atlanta have always been two of the harder teams for myself to name in my own fictional leagues.

For Portland I suggest, Redwoods (state fossil of Oregon and a known symbol), any sort bear such as Grizzlies, Spirits, or even Cascades with a bear logo (it could bring a neat rivalry with Seattle because bears are bigger and somewhat fiercer than wolves), Cascades with a mountain logo as well, Beavers (bringing Ottawa to the PNW), Chinooks (state fish, but the new fictional drive ball league uses that name), Explorers/Pioneers, Herons (city bird). 

For Atlanta, first thing I thought of was Firebirds or Phoenix, but Veras uses the name Firebirds and they might be to similar to the Flames, Turtoise and shark teeth are also state symbols but don't think any names could work with Atlanta, maybe a native name like what the Braves did (even though they were called that for decades before Atlanta) such as Tribe, Cherokee, or Eagles. Thats really all I can think of for Atlanta. 

Cant wait to see your designs and takes on these cities. 

Anything other than Grizzlies is unacceptable for Portland IMO. This is about making up for lost time.

10 hours ago, FDW said:

Anything other than Grizzlies is unacceptable for Portland IMO. This is about making up for lost time.

Veras has a franchise called the Grizzlies in his project so i don't think that'l happen. Would be a cool way to give a nod to the GHL team though.