hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1999-00 Regular Season

One of the reasons Miami was chosen was because it really does help advance the story, especially Darryl Byrd's character. Byrd essentially oversaw the entire expansion and ultimately he will be credited/blamed for bringing hockey to Florida. Byrd is quite arrogant and doesn't care about the game's tradition nearly as much as making himself and the owners richer. 

That said, this will be a fun team, at least at the beginning. Uniform-wise this will probably be the team to truly usher in the 90s, much like the real-life Ducks and Sharks, or the NBA Magic around the same time.

The PHL will do right by Cleveland very soon, just like it did with Edmonton after rejecting them.

I have to make a final decision on Kansas City's name so that may come in the 1987-88 season post or just after. The uniforms will hopefully come next off-season, along with some special new unis for a few of the existing teams that will be a surprise;)

Thanks again everyone for your participation and feedback!

Can't wait for KC and Miami, great work so far!

Edited by Jbadger9
Punctuation error

Looks like I'm a little late to vote...oh well, Really hoping for the Metros name to get used again, I'd love to see a KC Metros, I'd love to see the

be called Los Reyes or Las Reinas (The King or the Queens in Spanish due to Miami's enormous Latin population). Granted a Spanish inspired name in general could work wonders for the identity of the team.

With Kansas City, I could see something tied to the wheat industry. And I'd love to see Miami get a "leak" that Kansas City was going to go with Threshers, and Miami then go with a Thresher shark. Have a feud between the two right off.

22 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

With Kansas City, I could see something tied to the wheat industry. And I'd love to see Miami get a "leak" that Kansas City was going to go with Threshers, and Miami then go with a Thresher shark. Have a feud between the two right off.

So more or less of a forced rivalry like the Atlanta Thrashers and Carolina Hurricanes, Arizona Coyotes and what will become the Vegas Golden Knights, VGK and the LA Kings, and NYCFC and Orlando City SC (though this one is slightly becoming more of an actually rivalry) to name a few. I feel like that would happen more plausibly in the Mid-1990's to present (although to a lesser extent today).

I think it'll go like this:

Since Kansas City has been trying to get a team the whole decade, I think their look might be a lot more conservative than a lot of people would think. This is Kansas City, after all. I don't know how eager the locals would take to a radical uniform design at this time. Miami, though, is going to be very experimental. I can see them wearing a uniform that is mostly teal with hot pink and orange as the other colors. Make it scream like something you'd see in Miami.

Miami Vice inspired look maybe?

1 hour ago, Veras said:

Hopefully. Vice was at its prime in 85 and 86,and the show ended in 89,so maybe it can get a Vice look.

If only Glenn Frye can do the intro music...

You belong to the city,you belong to the night....

How about if the Miami squad were named the Florida Flamingos and adopted a pastel color scheme?

2 hours ago, Veras said:

I'll definitely give it a try. I have been playing with a few different colour schemes involving teal, the struggle I've been having is keeping the team from looking too similar to the early San Jose Sharks. The pink as an accent colour might be the perfect solution.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

How about if the Miami squad were named the Florida Flamingos and adopted a pastel color scheme?

Flamingos is good but unfortunately it was already used in another fantasy league I used to be involved in and I just wouldn't feel right taking a name from another project. http://www.icethetics.co/icehl-news/2016/8/15/winning-logos-revealed

The names I'm currently considering include:

Stingrays (my favorite, too close to Tampa Bay Rays?)

Mantas

Orcas

Killer Whales

Surf

Ocean

Breakers

27 minutes ago, hawkfan89 said:

Stingrays (my favorite, too close to Tampa Bay Rays?)

Since the real-life Rays abandoned an awesome identity revolving around a sting ray for a boring, lifeless ray of sunshine, I think Stingrays is fair game haha.

It's actually my personal favorite out of the bunch.

What about Leatherbacks, after the giant turtles?  You can use the Turtle Shells to make a sorta Art Deco-y looking uniform to match Miami too. Teal, Green and Yellow, like the old Seals perhaps?

Edited by Darknes

I would say Breakers is the best choice, it just sounds hockey plus it has the added oceanic feel of Miami. Though personally I like the name Tropics, it has just enough Miami to pass as a hockey name

Why not Miami Manatees? You get the tropic and oceanic feel of Florida while still having a unique animal mascot with potential of using bright Florida colors. Maybe have a teal-ish manatee with orange as a secondary color? Purple pontential? Cartoony animal? Screams 90s to me. 

Of the names given, I think Miami Mantas has a good ring to it. I like Tropics as a suggestion as well. 

Yeah, maybe an aquatic name would work. I like Mantas for the alliteration.

I like Breakers as well. Only negative to the name is that it was used for a USFL team.

I also think Surf is a good name but then again, I don't know how big surfing is in Miami.

Two pirate theme names to consider:

Miami Marauders

Florida Freebooters