hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 2003-04 Regular Season

5 hours ago, hawkfan89 said:

Hey guys, I apologize for the delay with Atlanta and Portland. I've been having a really tough time getting Atlanta's secondary logo right as well as Portland's jerseys. I did promise content this week so if nothing else is ready by tomorrow, I'll just unveil the primary logos as they are both already done and the rest should follow very soon. Thanks for your patience!

If it's okay with you, I'd rather wait until everything's ready before you start posting.

15 hours ago, RightGuard said:

If it's okay with you, I'd rather wait until everything's ready before you start posting.

I agree. None of us are in any hurry! Take your time, no rush. 

15 hours ago, RightGuard said:

I think we can all agree with this

Cascades, Copperheads Unveil Logos and Uniforms

In June, 2001, the expansion Portland Cascades and Atlanta Copperheads each took another big step towards opening their inaugural seasons. Both teams unveiled their logos and uniforms. On June 25, Portland unveiled a logo featuring a Mountain resembling a growling bear in the team colors of "Midnight Blue, Glacial Silver, and Blizzard White." The home jerseys are white while the roads are navy with both uniforms featuring a mountain design.

8QyJjwQ.png
iPp29ct.png

The Atlanta Copperheads unveiled their uniforms the following day. The logo features a snake ready to attack, while the uniform features one of the most unique striping designs ever seen in the league, including a pair of snakes running over the top of the shoulders. The team colors are Maroon, Black, and Copper. The reaction from fans was mixed, with some younger fans enjoying the unusual look while other fans felt it was a bit much. "The jerseys are a little out there but we really wanted to do something different, something to draw the younger fans in" said team owner Joseph Cartwright.

vTl2dFC.png
eBjxgfh.png

In addition to the expansion teams' logos, the league also unveiled new logos for the Eastern and Western Conference, as well as new all-star uniforms for the 2002 all-star game. This will be the first time since 1997 that the all-star teams will have special uniforms, since then, players wore their regular club team uniforms for the game.

vSmunJR.png

uSl6SyX.png

Those Cascade uniforms are great. Like, to the point that I'm considering switching my allegiance from Edmonton.

OH HELLO ATLANTA-

Both at work great! Especially Portland's unis.

*sees Portland* TAKE MY STINKING MONEY 

*sees Atlanta* *spits out drink* WHAT IN TARNATION? THERES A SNAKE IN MAH BOOT

In all honesty, Portland logo's are some of the best you've made so far, Atlanta's aren't bad, I'm not one for snake logos in particular.

For the jerseys, Portlands are very good (I might even switch allegiances from partial Edmonton/Minnesota to Portland, at least until Nova Scotia comes back, or they'll be my Western Team) 

Atlanta's jerseys are wayyyy out there, I think theres too much maroon on the white jerseys, a lot much. But the design is good, just like so 90s it hurts.

Are the expansion rosters out yet or did you not post them yet?

I really don’t like Atlanta’s uniform, and I don’t mean that as a way of being critical of the design. It’s perfect, you shouldn’t change it.

But even though I would have been about 14 at the time, I’m with the older fans. That’s not a good look.

Portland's identity is spot on - and the uniforms are on trend for the 2000s!

For Atlanta, the identity is over the top - and the colours are similar to the Vancouver Bighorns and copper is hardly emphasised. The snakes on the shoulders are very cool and bring in a distinct identity for the Copperheads. For the 2000s it is very trendy with the piping - that is overall an excellent storyline job Hawkfan!

Overall these are marvellous identities for both franchises and good luck to them for the 2001-02 season!

I may be in the minority here, but I believe that Atlanta is delightfully tacky. The "shoulder stripe snakes" are wonderful.

Portland, on the other hand, should be a modern classic in this universe. Splendid colors, and awesome logos.

Atlanta’s uniforms remind me of what the Arizona Diamondbacks wear now for some reason (Probably because of the colors), but while they do look kind of tacky, they should be okay for the time period. 

Portland, on the other hand, I agree with everyone else that their uniforms are awesome! I was expecting a waterfall to be in one of their logos considering their name, but the Grizzly head as the primary proved unique! Heck, maybe the Cascades could be my favorite Western Conference team!

Thanks for the feedback everybody! Glad to see the Cascade's logo is well received, and Atlanta's look got just the reaction I was hoping for as well. The Copperheads are supposed to be one of those teams that will be constantly experimenting and starting the trends. If you guys think the home and roads are wacky, just wait till they get their first alternates!

21 hours ago, CodeG said:

*sees Portland* TAKE MY STINKING MONEY 

*sees Atlanta* *spits out drink* WHAT IN TARNATION? THERES A SNAKE IN MAH BOOT

In all honesty, Portland logo's are some of the best you've made so far, Atlanta's aren't bad, I'm not one for snake logos in particular.

For the jerseys, Portlands are very good (I might even switch allegiances from partial Edmonton/Minnesota to Portland, at least until Nova Scotia comes back, or they'll be my Western Team) 

Atlanta's jerseys are wayyyy out there, I think theres too much maroon on the white jerseys, a lot much. But the design is good, just like so 90s it hurts.

Are the expansion rosters out yet or did you not post them yet?

I hope tomorrow, I've started setting up the roster for the expansion draft so hopefully sometime tomorrow the draft results will be up.

20 hours ago, Veras said:

I really don’t like Atlanta’s uniform, and I don’t mean that as a way of being critical of the design. It’s perfect, you shouldn’t change it.

But even though I would have been about 14 at the time, I’m with the older fans. That’s not a good look.

It's funny because I'm probably the opposite of most hockey fans. I was around the same age then and I also preferred the more traditional look back then (and really still do), while now I actually kind of like when teams experiment with uniforms.

9 hours ago, Cardinal said:

Gatta ask was the bear in the portland logo a subtle tribute to the portland grizzlies?

Yes it is. I decided against the Grizzlies name because the old GHL team was such a disaster that I figured this team would probably want to distance themselves from it. But I still wanted to reference it in a subtle way. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Thanks again guys! Expansion draft is next followed by the off-season.

I really like the Portland primary logo when I’m looking at it alone, but on the jersey the straight line across the bottom of the logo seems off. Maybe the logo is a little Big on the jersey? Or maybe it could use a jagged line to go along with the mountain idea. Either way it looks very good, it is just a small thing from a personal perspective.

I held off on posting my opinion on this so I could have some time to really think about it. I’ll be honest, I didn’t like both teams at first. Strange thing is, I still don’t care for Portland, but I love Atlanta. 

Portland I feel like is way to bland in the color scheme. Plus, I was really looking forward to a potential (long shot idea) ENL alternate logo that had a polar bear. From the second I layed eyes on the redesigned Edmonton logo, I though a polar bear  crossed with northern lights brand would work well. I think the Cascade primary logo would look great for Edmonton if you added some green and blue streaks in the sky (near the bear’s mouth). I like the Mountain logo, it reminds me of the Avs alternate. I don’t hate the brand, but I don’t love it. I get why many around here do like it, and thats great. 

Atlanta has such a strong brand. Going into a non-traditional hockey market such as Atlanta, they need that. Miami, Dallas (Metros), Los Angeles and California/Oakland have all had successful runs in non traditional markets with awesome logos. They needed to have an eye catching logo. I think ATL has an interesting look, but I really like it. The “shoulder snake” looks great and the logo is clever, although the snake’s eyes creep me out. 

Just my opinion. Nice work! 

2001 Expansion Draft Results

The 2001 Expansion draft took place on June 27, 2001. Teams were allowed to protect one goalie, three defensemen, and five forwards. Once a team lost a player, it could not lose another. Because there were 28 teams to pick from, not every team would lose players. Dallas and Minnesota both got through the draft with their rosters fully intact. As for the Expansion teams, Portland went with a lot of proven veterans, stocking their roster with familiar names like Jason Lind, Kyle Boone, and Scott Whitmore. Atlanta focused more on youth, selecting talented young Redshirts goaltender Ben Kerrigan in what was regarded as the biggest steal of the draft, as well as other solid young players like Eric Thorn and Jordan O'Reilly.

POR.png

G – Bradley Pope, OAK
G – Jason Lind, KC
D – Karl Magnusson, NYC
D – Jason McGinnis, BOS
D – Gordon Quincey, MTL
D – Toivu Niskala, TOR
F – Kyle Boone, CHI
F – Brett Wilson, CLE
F – Troy Dowdy, QUE
F – Todd Becker, STL
F – Jason Whitaker, WPG