hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 2004 World Hockey Challenge

28 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I don't think you guys will be swept. I wouldn't be surprised at all if KC was back in the WCF. The short season and a slow start hurt them. If they play well they will be right there.

Did say that we got hammered by injuries and Gaganov seems to be immortal.

Also, feels weird referring to a fictional team that has existed for only 7 months and has only had the name for 6 as "us" and "we". Just goes to show how well this series is written.

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

Also, feels weird referring to a fictional team that has existed for only 7 months and has only had the name for 6 as "us" and "we". Just goes to show how well this series is written.

Yep, really funny and cool how this fictional league on here has become something so big.

It will be a tough series, but I think KC will at least take it to 6 or 7, and wouldn't be surprised if they won.

On 9/23/2017 at 11:06 PM, Goran The Man said:

Whoa! Philly just inch through into the playoffs! It's going to be a thrilling playoff series!

P.S. I have chosen to support the LA Wizards in the PHL mainly due to their 1969-1995 logo - 4th is not bad even though losing the division on tiebreakers is hard to take.

And P.S. there is a division error next to the Quebec Nationale logo.

Thanks for the heads up on the standings graphic. And you'll be happy to know that the old Wizards logo (a more modern version) will return at some point, as will the original colours.

On 9/23/2017 at 11:13 PM, BengalSteve said:

Yay, the season was salvaged! And my Civics are on top of the Eastern Conference once again as well! Here's hoping for the repeat!

Also, not that I'm trying to increase your workload, but have you ever given Conference logos any thought? The 1998 Lewis Cup Playoffs are going to be another fun one either way.

I probably will do conference logos at some point. It should be easier to do that kind of stuff from now on because the rebrands every year will start slowing down now. I currently have just two teams slated for rebrands next season and so far just one fairly minor change for 1999. The league will undergo a major facelift sometime in the mid 2000s, at which point the entire league will switch to a new unifrom provider (similar to RBK Edge in 2007) which means I will be introducing a whole new template. There will probably be a new league logo at that time too so that might be a good time to introduce conference logos.

On 9/24/2017 at 12:34 AM, Darknes said:

Yeesh, What a fall for Boston

Yeah, they had it coming though with such an aging roster in recent years. Time for some fresh legs, which they will get with a high pick this year.

On 9/24/2017 at 1:05 AM, Jimmy Lethal said:

What impact will the lockout have on the league's popularity in the long run? Has hockey struggled to be as relevant as the other three major sports in this universe?

There will definitely be more on the effect of the lockout in the coming years, but basically the arc here is that what Garcia started with expansion, Byrd may have taken just a little too far. I won't say anything now but there is a twist coming with Byrd. As far as how the PHL is perceived in this universe, it's very similar to real life. The PHL is very popular here in Canada, Toronto and Montreal have never had problems selling out their buildings even during rebuilding years. In the States, I think it may even be more popular than in real life in some places. Boston and Chicago are two of the most successful teams in the league's history and both teams compete very well with the other sports for attention. New Orleans had a "honeymoon phase" at first but attendance dropped dramatically in '97-98, partly due to the lockout and partly due to a poor on-ice product. Also Dallas may be starting to turn into the Atlanta of this universe. They will need to find way into the playoffs soon as interest in the Desperadoes is already dwindling.

On 9/24/2017 at 9:06 AM, ChicagoOakland said:

Well, that was unexpected. I had completely written off the 1998 season thanks to Byrd's hardheadedness...but to be fair that looks like an alright deal.

Also, I'm convinced New Orleans will never get out of the cellar. The Curse of Nova Scotia is upon you, boys, and no voodoo doll is going to help you this time.

New Orleans does have some promising young players, most notably Mike Bidden, they're just taking a while to really break out. I can see the Sound being similar to the Pittsburgh Stingers of the '70s, several last place finishes followed by a sudden division title. We'll see what happens.

On 9/24/2017 at 11:38 AM, Cardsblues02 said:

Carolina slides to 7th? I guess I should expect some oddities since it is a shorter season. We will take care of business against the Racers...Go Raiders!

Honestly that wasn't a big surprise as the East is just so competitive. Luckily for them they're playing a team known for choking, so their chances for an upset are good.

17 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Twisters really slid this year. Probably would've missed the playoffs if the season was 2 games longer. Welp, looking forward to seeing how this all plays out, but I'd be happy with a series that doesn't end in a sweep of the Twisters.

15 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I don't think you guys will be swept. I wouldn't be surprised at all if KC was back in the WCF. The short season and a slow start hurt them. If they play well they will be right there.

14 hours ago, Red Comet said:

KC likely won't be swept, in fact they stand a very good chance of pulling off an upset. The Twisters do have everyone back for the playoffs so despite the 8th place finish, they'll be seen as legitimate Cup contenders. Also, it's especially weird creating a tenth anniversary logo for a team that was created 7 months ago haha.

Wow, my Northern Lights got BAD.

1998 Playoffs

Just three days after clinching a playoff spot in dramatic fashion, the Philadelphia Redshirts faced the New York Civics in the first round. Riding on the momentum of the regular season, the Redshirts managed to bring the Civics to a 2-2 tie after dropping the first two games on the road. In a pivotal game five, Jared Baxter’s late-third period goal eventually proved to be the winner in a 4-2 victory and Philadelphia had a chance to upset the defending champions in six games. In game six, Aaron Duplacy scored twice as the Civics forced game seven with a 5-2 win. In game seven, back at Broadway House, the game went into overtime, where Nathan Bowman and Jason Wyley both played spectacularly in net. Nearing the end of the first overtime, Jeremy Kitchen scored to give the Civics the win and send them to the second round.

Elsewhere in the Eastern Conference, The Toronto Racers defeated the Carolina Raiders in six games, Washington eliminated Pittsburgh for the third straight year, while the Montreal Royale never really allowed the Cleveland Cosmos into the series, wining in five games.

Out west, The Los Angeles Wizards faced a scrappy Seattle Grey Wolves team on the rise. Seattle won the first game, with Drake Klausen scoring the winner in OT. LA tied it before Seattle moved ahead with a win at home. Suddenly feeling desperate, the Wizards eked out a win in game four. The series was now tied 2-2. In Los Angeles for game five, the Grey Wolves played a strong road game, with 37-year-old Craig Bush proving to be the hero, scoring the winner early in the third period. Facing elimination in game six, the Wizards were in desperation mode. Gustav Mattsen scored twice in a 4-3 win to force game seven back home at Inglewood Coliseum. Game seven would be a classic. Both Jim Cochran for LA and Sean Harrington for Seattle stood on their heads in a 0-0 tie that went into overtime with no score. After nearly five periods with no scoring, Drake Klausen ended the game and the upset for Seattle.

In other Western Conference action, Minnesota swept their expansion cousins, the Winnipeg Pioneers, while California spoiled the St. Louis Spirits’ return to the post-season in five games. The Chicago Shamrocks, led by the new-look Russian Connection Line with Sergei Krayev taking the place of Alexander Orlov, jumped to a 2-0 series lead over Kansas City, only to lose the next four as the Twisters redeemed themselves after a tough regular season and advanced to the second round.

RD1.thumb.png.72db68a3c11f7bfbea0335d039b90da0.png

Two of the top teams in the league would clash in the second round as the New York Civics met the Montreal Royale.  The series was evenly matched, as the teams skated to a 2-2 series tie after the first four games. In game five, the Royale completely fell apart late in the third period of a 0-0 game. Lamar Jackson, Tobias Krause, and Darian Higgins all scored within seven minutes in what would be a 3-0 win for the Civics. Jonathan Bouret would bounce back in game six with the Royale facing elimination, stopping 39 shots in a 4-2 Montreal win to force game seven. In game seven, Vincent Ducharme turned in one of his famous clutch performances, scoring two goals and two assists as Montreal won the game 5-3 to advance to the Eastern Conference Finals.

In the west, California would face Kansas City for the third straight year in the playoffs. The Twisters had been the monkey on the Nuggets backs since 1996, knocking them out of the playoffs in the first round the previous two years. The Nuggets got off to a bad start, going down 2-1 in the series, then 3-2. Once again, the Twisters were on the brink of ending the Nuggets’ season. Game six was in Kansas City, where the Twisters came out strong, opening the scoring, then peppering Bradley Pope with shots, but the 29-year-old was up to the challenge. Pope stopped 42 shots while Kevin Hoyle and Teppo Saari each scored in a 2-1 win to force a seventh game. In game seven, the teams were tied 2-2 entering the third period, when Ryan Lockhart scored to break the tie and give California the lead. Pope would turn in another strong performance as the Nuggets held on to win and finally eliminate the Twisters and advance to the Western Conference Finals. “It’s a relief to finally reach this point” said Hoyle. “We still have a few steps to go.” In other second-round action, Jason Crowley scored six goals in five games as Minnesota ended Seattle’s run in five games, while Washington continued to roll, beating the Toronto Racers in six games.

RD2.thumb.png.687d31fa68a462fc58c6d6756a919122.png

In the Western Conference Finals, the red-hot California Nuggets clashed with Jason Crowley and the Minnesota Lumberjacks. Minnesota appeared to be the better team, winning the first two games on the road. The Nuggets responded, winning two games in Minnesota to tie the series. After four games, the road team had won every game. Game five would finally break that trend when the Nuggets earned a 6-1 win to take a 3-2 series lead with an opportunity to advance to the Lewis Cup Finals for the first time since winning the title in 1980. In Minnesota for game six, California played hard, leading the game twice, but Pavel Vana and Greg Willis each scored to tie the game, before Vana scored again midway through the third period to put the ‘Jacks ahead. Ultimately, Minnesota hung on for a 4-2 win to force game seven. In the deciding game, Jason Crowley and Pavel Vana each scored to make it 2-0 while goaltender Christian Grayson closed the door on the Nuggets right through to the final minutes, when Ulf Linden scored to bring the game to within a goal. Grayson then had to stand tall as the Nuggets pressed hard for the tying goal. The Nuggets failed to score and Minnesota returned to the Lewis Cup Finals for the second time in three years.

Meanwhile, the Montreal Royale found themselves down 2-0 against Washington. At home for games three and four, Vincent Ducharme continued his strong play again in game three, scoring twice in a 3-1 win. In game four, veteran Sylvain Landry scored the winner as the Royale tied the series. Washington, having given up the series lead, was determined not to let the opportunity slip away this time. “We need to step up our play in game five” said Rob Wentzel. The Generals would indeed step up their game. Maxime Trepanier beat Bouret just two minutes into overtime to give Washington a 3-2 win and a 3-2 series lead. Game six in Montreal was all Washington. Checked tightly by Dwayne Ingram and Justin Hill, Ducharme and the Montreal offence was completely shut down. Jake Borman earned a shutout as the Generals advanced to the Lewis Cup Finals for the first time since 1981.

RD3.thumb.png.7d7a0676f39693f1030d5cf8cc49cda1.png

Didn't get swept by Chicago and yet we choked against California. Heartbreaking.

Glad Washington is getting a shot at the Cup. Hope they don't choke like the real Capitals.

LETS GO MINNESOTA (since NS is no more) #GETJACKED

Absolutely pulling for Washington here since they've never won one, so congrats on your win, Lumberjacks.

So much for the Civics repeating as I hoped. Oh well, I'll just hop on the Washington bandwagon then for the Lewis Cup Finals. They're due anyway.

1998 Lewis Cup Finals

59ceed995afd5_LewisCup.thumb.png.bcc445d6859dc0ebf2cbbdb0a3b5d67c.pngDeep into June, 1998, the Lewis Cup Finals were set to begin later than ever before. The Minnesota Lumberjacks were making their

third appearance of the decade, while the Generals appeared in their first final since making it to two consecutive finals in 1980 and ’81. Game one took place on June 16 at JFK Arena. Tomas Axelsson opened the scoring for Washington before Minnesota scored three in the second period and held on for a 3-1 win to steal home ice advantage. In game two, it was Washington who exploded offensively with four goals from Axelsson, Igor Zharkov, Rob Wentzel, and Geoff Collier. The series was now tied heading to Minnesota.

Game three was very close. The teams skated to a 3-3 tie and the game went into overtime. About two minutes into overtime, Geoff Collier took a penalty and Minnesota went on the powerplay. With the top unit of Crowley, Vana, and Greg Willis peppering the Generals with shots, Jake Borman had to play at the top of his game, meeting every challenge. After killing the penalty, the Generals began to make a push themselves. They would finally be rewarded when Rob Wentzel beat Christian Grayson to give Washington a 4-3 win and a 2-1 series lead.

Game four would be the first-ever PHL game played in the summer and the Lumberjacks badly needed a win. “We know what we need to do, it’s just a matter of executing” said Jason Crowley. Crowley himself would step up in game four, scoring a goal and assisting on Pavel Vana’s winning goal as the Lumberjacks tied the series. Washington had an opportunity at home in game five to regain the series lead. It seemed like the momentum shifted when tough defenseman Dwayne Ingram caught star Lumberjacks forward Stanislav Zykov with his head down and laid him out with a devastating hit. Zykov laid on the ice for several minutes before being helped off. Washington then scored two goals just minutes later. Halfway through the game, Greg Willis challenged Ingram and fought him, shifting the momentum in Minnesota’s favour. Shortly after the fight, Pavel Vana scored two goals at the end of the second period. Two minutes into the third period, Vana scored again to complete the hat-trick. With the ‘Jacks leading 3-2, Washington pulled Borman. After Grayson made several big saves in the dying seconds, Brendan Marlo scored on the empty net to seal a 4-2 Lumberjacks win and give them an opportunity to win the Lewis Cup at home in game six.

Prior to game six in Minnesota, the twin cities were buzzing with anticipation. The Lumberjacks were just one win away from winning another championship, but Washington had plans of their own. Game six would go on to be a classic. The Generals jumped to a 2-0 lead on goals from Maxime Trepanier and Brendan O’Connor. At the end of the first period, Vana scored to bring Minnesota to within one. Just three minutes into the second period, Crowley scored to tie the game, but the Generals were quick to respond, re-taking the lead on a goal from Igor Zharkov. It appeared that the series was destined to go to a seventh game, until Stanislav Zykov, who returned despite still feeling the effects of a concussion, scored to tie the game. Washington nearly took the lead again late in the third period, but Trepanier’s shot hit the post. The game went into overtime, where Christian Grayson and Jake Borman both played very well, until finally, early in the second OT, Pavel Vana beat Borman to end the game. Vana threw his gloves off as the Minnesota players spilled off the bench. The Lumberjacks were Lewis Cup Champions for the second time in three years. Vana, who had scored the first overtime Lewis Cup winner since 1984, was named playoff MVP. One of the most bizarre seasons in PHL history was over as the league entered a new era.  

LCF.thumb.png.1bfcae3838f4916d4444313d943bd054.png

Jacks Dynasty, baby! I love it.

Not quite the result I was hoping for as far as the Lewis Cup is concerned, but oh well. I’m curious about the realignment this offseason, as well as if we will hear anything more about the expansion candidates.

6 hours ago, BengalSteve said:

Not quite the result I was hoping for as far as the Lewis Cup is concerned, but oh well. I’m curious about the realignment this offseason, as well as if we will hear anything more about the expansion candidates.

I think realignment will come right after the Grey Wolves and Twisters unveil their new uniforms, just before the off-season post. This way I can use Seattle's new logo in the graphic. There will be more on expansion in the off-season news including an updated list of cities.

On 30/09/2017 at 12:03 AM, ChicagoOakland said:

Jacks Dynasty, baby! I love it.

Minnesota has a very good chance to really become the next great dynasty. Their core will be in their prime for at least another five to seven years (Crowley is still only 30, Vana is only 28), and, unlike some other top-tier teams, like Chicago and New York, the Jacks' payroll is relatively low so they won't have to make too many adjustments to get under the cap. 

Even in a fictional hockey universe a team from Washington just can't win a cup.