hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 2004 World Hockey Challenge

The expansion is going to be interesting, I’d be on board for Atlanta if they can hold a steady fan base and arena. And Portland has always been on my radar, but with Seattle and Vancouver’s it may be harder to draw attention, especially in the beginning. Though it’ll be hilarious if Dallas relocates (hopefully to NS) and Houston becomes the main Texas team. 

Also i noticed Pittsburgh selected a German in the draft, how long has it been since a German has been selected?

42 minutes ago, CodeG said:

The expansion is going to be interesting, I’d be on board for Atlanta if they can hold a steady fan base and arena. And Portland has always been on my radar, but with Seattle and Vancouver’s it may be harder to draw attention, especially in the beginning. Though it’ll be hilarious if Dallas relocates (hopefully to NS) and Houston becomes the main Texas team. 

Also i noticed Pittsburgh selected a German in the draft, how long has it been since a German has been selected?

Last Year actually, New York picked Krause with the last overall pic.

My money's going on Houston and Atlanta getting expansions, though I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa ended up getting a slot. Speaking of the Nuggets, how major will their rebrand be once they move to Oakland?

6 minutes ago, RightGuard said:

My money's going on Houston and Atlanta getting expansions, though I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa ended up getting a slot. Speaking of the Nuggets, how major will their rebrand be once they move to Oakland?

I'm guessing not so big...remember, their look is fairly recent (And quite a hit with the fans, both virtually and IRL on this board)

Rumor has it that *tries to think of my expansion council person's name, fails miserably* the Orlando-based expansion council member is, to put it shortly, not pleased with the league's decision to go with Tampa over Orlando as a second Floridian bid...

But what can he do? He's just along for the ride :P 

My bets on Houston, Atlanta. Would love to see portland though. Thatd make for a great seattle-portland-vancouver three way rivalry

I’m just curious Hawkfan, what are the PHL’s awards aside from the Lewis Cup named after? I know the Whyte Trophy is awarded to the top goaltender, but what about the awards for top defenseman, Playoff MVP, etc? Have you given any thought regarding the specific names of those awards?

Well it's that time again with more expansion comes more rumors. Here's what we're hearing so far: 

Rumor 1: With the last minute inclusion of Tampa it's lead to many speculating that they are the front runner in the East in the eyes of Commissioner Byrd. It is however unknown if he will take executive action in granting the franchise to Tampa like his predecessor did with Concordes organization. 

Rumor 2: The Western front runners appear at this time to be Portland and Phoenix. For Phoenix it is most likely due to the recent trend of expansion and relocation to the Southern United States i.e. Dallas (version 2: Electric Boogaloo), New Orleans, Carolina, Miami, etc. As for Portland, there status as front runner comes from more of the fans and owners of select teams as well as a few players and not from indications by the league itself. We are hearing that the reason for Portland's popularity among many is that it's considered with Baltimore to be the only traditional hockey market and makes more logical sense that expanding to non-traditional markets (NTMs for short) such as Phoenix.

Rumor 3: Apparently an attorney from Montana is questioning the "legality" of the Baltimore bid due to the city being within the 50 mile exclusive market zone. However, many point out the Concordes as an exception to this. This has led to the debate between those who believe if there's an exception for one then there should be an exception for all and those who say no more exceptions from here on out. So mermers from the failed Newark bid is that they may try to challenge this but it very unlikely for they still lack a suitable arena for a team.

Rumor 4: There have been some scattered reports from shall I say less than reputable sources and one mostly trust worthy source that Mexico City attempted to place a bid. However the main reasons they fell short were a lack of funds for any possible expansion fee, and no arena whatsoever within the city. Of the rumors presented it is in the opinion of this writer that most of this "attempted" bid is just a hoax with possible mistranslations of Spanish sprinkled in. Our mostly reliable source has said there was a brief discussion amongst city officials and that's about it.

REMEBER PEOPLE THESE ARE RUMORS AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS 100% FACT.

3 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

Well it's that time again with more expansion comes more rumors. Here's what we're hearing so far: 

Rumor 1: With the last minute inclusion of Tampa it's lead to many speculating that they are the front runner in the East in the eyes of Commissioner Byrd. It is however unknown if he will take executive action in granting the franchise to Tampa like his predecessor did with Concordes organization. 

Rumor 2: The Western front runners appear at this time to be Portland and Phoenix. For Phoenix it is most likely due to the recent trend of expansion and relocation to the Southern United States i.e. Dallas (version 2: Electric Boogaloo), New Orleans, Carolina, Miami, etc. As for Portland, there status as front runner comes from more of the fans and owners of select teams as well as a few players and not from indications by the league itself. We are hearing that the reason for Portland's popularity among many is that it's considered with Baltimore to be the only traditional hockey market and makes more logical sense that expanding to non-traditional markets (NTMs for short) such as Phoenix.

Rumor 3: Apparently an attorney from Montana is questioning the "legality" of the Baltimore bid due to the city being within the 50 mile exclusive market zone. However, many point out the Concordes as an exception to this. This has led to the debate between those who believe if there's an exception for one then there should be an exception for all and those who say no more exceptions from here on out. So mermers from the failed Newark bid is that they may try to challenge this but it very unlikely for they still lack a suitable arena for a team.

Rumor 4: There have been some scattered reports from shall I say less than reputable sources and one mostly trust worthy source that Mexico City attempted to place a bid. However the main reasons they fell short were a lack of funds for any possible expansion fee, and no arena whatsoever within the city. Of the rumors presented it is in the opinion of this writer that most of this "attempted" bid is just a hoax with possible mistranslations of Spanish sprinkled in. Our mostly reliable source has said there was a brief discussion amongst city officials and that's about it.

REMEBER PEOPLE THESE ARE RUMORS AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS 100% FACT.

Rumor 5: The Concordes never would have exsisted had it not been for... ah... a certain member on these boards... I wonder who it could be...

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Rumor 5: The Concordes never would have exsisted had it not been for... ah... a certain member on these boards... I wonder who it could be...

New Jersey Concordes does have a good ring to it...

On 10/13/2017 at 5:51 PM, Darknes said:

I just hope we don't overachieve and let the rebuild progress properly, I don't want a half-assed retooling

Boston may suffer a bit for a few years. Nokavich could prove to be their new franchise player and Scott Rose and Mikael Larsson are solid young players as well. What they need to do now is rebuild their defense. Steve Mathis is currently their top defenseman but after him it's pretty thin. It will take a few years but Boston will be back.

On 10/13/2017 at 7:02 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

The Oakland Nuggets?!?! 

I dont like that very much. Hope they dont rebrand.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:39 PM, generalshepherd141 said:

"California Nuggets" always sounded off to me, thus I was happy to hear about the name change.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:48 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

Finally, Oakland gets some major league recognition! As if my username isn't a dead giveaway, I'm completely on board with this.

Sad to hear about Sorel though, but at least he's seen the Jacks lay the groundwork for a possible dynasty.

Also, I really hope "last minute bid that was too impressive to turn down" isn't code for "under the table bribery".

On 10/14/2017 at 1:22 AM, RightGuard said:

Oakland will undergo a rebrand, but I'm not sure yet if it will happen right away. I'm not entirely satisfied with the new logo, but the uniforms and new colour scheme look good. 

On 10/14/2017 at 4:14 PM, Raymie said:

Phoenix, huh? Seems like a bit of a dark horse to the league, though...

Not sure how good their chances are but I felt they should get a shot since they are a four-sport town in real life. Could give some cool naming options too.

6 hours ago, BengalSteve said:

I’m just curious Hawkfan, what are the PHL’s awards aside from the Lewis Cup named after? I know the Whyte Trophy is awarded to the top goaltender, but what about the awards for top defenseman, Playoff MVP, etc? Have you given any thought regarding the specific names of those awards?

I actually did start a list of awards a while back but never really finished it. Here's what I had and I will add to it and maybe include award winners each season.

League MVP: Ridley Memorial Trophy, named after Ben Ridley, a former star defenseman who was killed while serving in WW2.

Top Goaltender: Whyte Trophy, named after James Whyte, the former Buffalo goaltender who many believe could've become the greatest of all-time. 

Scoring Champion: Cleveland Cup. The trophy went unnamed until 1975 when it was named after the late Skippy Cleveland, the all-time leading PHL scorer at the time.

Top Defenseman:  Cooper Award, named after Tommy Cooper, one of the greatest defenseman in league history who was also the first black player in PHL history.

I haven't come up with a name for the playoff MVP yet or any other awards. I'll see what I can do and I am also open to suggestions for names.

Thirding the NJ Concordes thing. Though... I'm from Jersey, so I'm just as biased as NYG is with Long Island.

Any chance of San Diego getting a team?

Looking forward to seeing what ends up happening with the expansion. I'm wondering if somewhere like Sacramento or Salt Lake have shots at getting a team at some point...

21 hours ago, MBurmy said:

New Jersey Concordes does have a good ring to it...

Oh God no... also the name doesn't fit because it's a reference to the incredible aviation history. If they were to move (I hope not) to Jersey names could be the Monsters (more or less reference to the Jersey Devil), Newark Freight/ NJ Sailors (reference to the port of Newark) Names work for expansion team as well

Ignore

Edited by New York's Greatest
Glitched out sent this twice please ignore