hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 2004 World Hockey Challenge

Pioneers would’ve been perfect for Portland. Shame Winnipeg already has it.

We would still be in an era where uniforms and nicknames were both experimental. Portland has a vibe as a weird city so here’s a proposal that I’ve probably seen somewhere but I’ll repeat: The mascots of Oregon and Oregon State are the duck and beaver. Combine the two and you get the Portland Platypuses. Also, it’s a venomous animal so it’s not just a weird mascot, it’s one that can attack if need be.

As for Atlanta, the only thing that is coming to mind in regards to Atlanta that might be original is that the state animal of Georgia is the white-tailed deer. Atlanta Stags? Something different than the tired military and fire-related names rolling around in my head.

Will list a Top 3 choices for each city (in no specific order):

For Portland:

• Portland Platypi (reasons @Red Comet listed, also it's the grammatically correct plural of "patypus" and sounds much cooler)
  • Portland Naturals or Portland Greens (tribute to the scenery, plus they could be the PHL's most ecologically friendly team in regards to lights, paper, plastic, etc.-of course, that depends on how "green" PacifiCo is)
  • Portland Rapids (tie-in to the Willamette and Columbia Rivers, plus the PHL doesn't have a water-themed team yet.  Also, this being the 90s, a cool logo and jersey pattern would ensue)

For Atlanta:

• Atlanta Raptors or Atlanta Talons (the required "bird of prey" name submission for Atlanta submitted here)
  • Atlanta Express (it first became a big deal thanks to the building of the Western and Atlantic Railroad-could also tie in to the arena sponsor of Coastal Airlines)
  • Atlanta Phoenix (I know you may want to avoid what could be seen as a "cliche" name, but it's the most fitting to me-despite going through numerous catastrophes, ATL keeps on rebounding and rebounding...besides, I KNOW an amazing jersey/visual identity will result)

I was going to suggest Platypuses* for the same reason as @Red Comet (I think I've seen @neo_prankster make the same suggestion elsewhere).  Realistically, though, I think it's hard not to revive the old team name.  It was Grizzlies, right?

*Platypuses is the correct pluralization.  The root of the word is Greek, not Latin, and the -us to -i ending change is a Latin thing.

For the Portland team, Roses, Woods (representing the forests of Oregon), Salmons should be suggested as nicknames.

The Atlanta team should try Winds (based on Gone with the Wind), Sunrisers, Peaches.

Using Grizzlies doesn't hurt - whilst the GHL team didn't last long - it was really more because the GHL was a new product and many people in Portland would've seen it as a Mickey Mouse competition. Grizzlies can be another suggestion, just like what @Veras@FDW and @CodeG said. Will they go with blue and white like the original Grizzlies though?

Portland Platypuses is a great name. It woukd be a really unique identity to seperate themselves from the other Pacific Northwest teams. 

For Atlanta, as long as it's not something fire related. I know there is the Flames in real life, but when I think hockey, I don't necessarily think "fire." I'm sure you have a name in mind though. 

With how busy Atlanta's airport was getting around this time (not to mention MARTA), my vote goes to the Express.

All three of those Portland names are great, I honestly can't choose.

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Oh the childish name game fans could play around with for Platypuses 

Oh I would be one of the people to make those jokes. Sorry. Salty Houston fan.

10 hours ago, Veras said:

I was going to suggest Platypuses* for the same reason as @Red Comet (I think I've seen @neo_prankster make the same suggestion elsewhere).  Realistically, though, I think it's hard not to revive the old team name.  It was Grizzlies, right?

*Platypuses is the correct pluralization.  The root of the word is Greek, not Latin, and the -us to -i ending change is a Latin thing.

1. Sorry about the pluralization issue..."Platypuses" may have too many syllables to work as a full team name.

2. The reason many had avoided "Grizzlies" was because it's the name of Seattle's AFA team (not in the same universe, but still)...am I right in presuming that post counts as you granting permission to to use it should that be what @hawkfan89 decides to go with?

Platypuses ? Really ? I thought this was a professional hockey league . thats a name you would have your u-10 team use.

All the good names have been taken Storm , Thunder, Timber

Portland has a big train history they could be the Rails or Steam

33 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

1. Sorry about the pluralization issue..."Platypuses" may have too many syllables to work as a full team name.

2. The reason many had avoided "Grizzlies" was because it's the name of Seattle's AFA team (not in the same universe, but still)...am I right in presuming that post counts as you granting permission to to use it should that be what @hawkfan89 decides to go with?

Nothing to apologize for - it really does seem like it should be platypi, doesn't it?

I'm definitely fine with the Grizzlies name.  I have no particular claim to it, and my Grizzlies aren't even in Portland - they're in Seattle.

30 minutes ago, MSO94 said:

Platypuses ? Really ? I thought this was a professional hockey league . thats a name you would have your u-10 team use.

All the good names have been taken Storm , Thunder, Timber

Portland has a big train history they could be the Rails or Steam

*cough*

latest?cb=20140811001446

Name suggestions:

Portland Axemen/Axe: PDX loves lumberjacks but that's already a thing in the league. Axe works because 90's

Portland Wild/Wilderness: Both 90s name styles, matches the love of nature and the lumberjack culture. 

Cascadia Wilderness: same reason as above but knowing Portland they'd want to stress their regional loyalty much to the chagrin of Seattle.

Cascadia Whalers/Whale/Spearmen: Whilst this works for Seattle more in general thought but as a whole the region is known for it.

Cascadia Bears: more nature slight GHL reference.

Cascadia/PDX/Portland Revolution: This is is a reference to the social revolution and counter-culture that Portland is known and continues to be known for. However it is reference to the "revolution" (as in change and formation of new ideals/change of status quo; more specifically the social and political revolution that is stressed by independence supporters) that will lead to an Independent Cascadia. For location Cascadia for reasons stated just before, for PDX using the initials is feels very trendy for the 1990s and we all know how trendy Portland is.

Cascadia/PDX Blue Greens: Reference to the Cascadia flag colors. Show of Cascadian nationalism/regionalism.

Atlanta:

Atlanta/Georgia Heat/Suns: Georgia as a whole is hot but in sports it Red hot with recent success (pun intended). Furthermore it is a slight reference to Sherman's march to the sea and the burning of Atlanta.

Atlanta/Georgia Rebels: Obvious obligatory Civil War reference is obvious not my favorite option though.

Atlanta/Georgia Thunderbirds: Whilst the Thrasher is the state bird this is a name that everyone can get on board with. Plus the Thrasher can be the mascot!

Georgia/Atlanta Battalion/Armor/ Tanks/Grenadiers: Another Sherman reference but this time the tank it satisfies both Atlanta's obsession with General Sherman and moves away from technical direct civil war reference. Furthermore the name can help spark a rivalry with the Washington Generals. Lastly Georgia is Rich with military history.

*Bolded and italicized names and locations are my favorites.

I like battalion and thunderbirds for Atlanta. Maybe emeralds or rapids for Portland 

A lot of great name suggestions here. To be honest I've had a bit of a struggle coming up with a Portland name so I appreciate the suggestions for them in particular. My favorite name for Atlanta so far is probably the Stags. Another idea I had for them is the Atlanta Copperheads, as the Copperhead Snake seems to be fairly common in the southeast.

On another note, I have finished simulating the 1999-00 season, just need to do the write up and artwork for it but it should be up by the end of the week.

Portland Sasquatches. Leprechauns (there's a legend about them associated with the Mill Ends Park). Cascades (after the Cascadia region)

Atlanta Generals. Cavalry. If the NFL is in your universe, they jump on a loose connection to the Falcons with the "Dirty Birds".

Leaning towards express for Atlanta, very 90’s

Copperheads would be a great name for Atlanta! As for Portland, I'm really digging the Rapids idea, though I think Grizzlies is the best choice.

Copperheads would be a really good name for Atlanta, though I like the suggestion of Georgia Battalion by someone on here. 

There are so many options for Portland rn, I'm thinking more along the idea of Cascadia, maybe even using that as there name. Cascadia Grizzlies, Redwoods, Platypuses, Spirits (a nod to the spirit bear, an albino grizzly) or just Portland Cascades with a bear logo