hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 2007 Lewis Cup Finals

4 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

It also appears that you've got a mismatch, as your write up says Li was to Minnesota, but the draft say Milwaukee as the 19th pick.

Oh my goodness I just can't get get this one right! It's supposed to be Milwaukee, sorry guys long night at work last night:P

2 minutes ago, Darknes said:

What should we look forward to from the new duo in Boston and how does the team look?

Neither Shantz nor Canton have any PHL experience, but both have been very successful at the college and junior levels. The Bulldogs had hoped to be a Lewis Cup contender by this point but are barely even a playoff team so change was definitely necessary. 

1 minute ago, Darknes said:

Any particular Players besides Bush to look forward to?

Jason Luna had a solid rookie season, I think he'll be a great player for Boston. The Bulldogs' strength right now is in their defense. Dale Knight, Doug Graham, and Aaron Goodwin are all top-level D-men and played a big role in the upset over Long Island last year. All three are still only about halfway through their careers right now and should anchor the Boston blue line well into the '90s.

Was gonna ask about LI's goaltending situation...then I caught myself up to speed.

Strong Island with the big moves this offseason, finally starting to look like the true powerhouse we...well me and @Cardinal know they can be! Also, is it just me or does it seem like half the team is Swedish?...not that I mind, (wouldn't mind seeing a Bobby Nystrom style Super Swede in LI)

11 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

Was gonna ask about LI's goaltending situation...then I caught myself up to speed.

Strong Island with the big moves this offseason, finally starting to look like the true powerhouse we...well me and @Cardinal know they can be! Also, is it just me or does it seem like half the team is Swedish?...not that I mind, (wouldn't mind seeing a Bobby Nystrom style Super Swede in LI)

Stop. Just stop.

Also, glad that expansion will finally happen again! I just missed the last one when I found this thread. Also, would it be okay if my character had some bias to Orlando, considering that they are not being considered? (I wouldn't vote for Miami anyways - being affiliated with Orlando would actually be against Miami, not for it)

Welcome everyone to the 1987 PHL Expansion Committee. The purpose of this committee is to select two new cities to join the PHL as expansion teams to begin play in October, 1989. Before we start, here are some basic guidelines.

·       First off I’m going to ask everyone to refrain from making up any current or former players, coaches, general managers, or owners from either the PHL or the GHL. If you would like your character to be any of these roles, I’d ask that you message me and I will suggest someone who either has not been mentioned yet or has very little written about them. The idea here is to maintain consistency and avoid conflicts in the narrative.

·       Although this project was heavily influenced by the AFA project, the PHL and AFA do not exist in the same universe. Please avoid overlap between the two leagues.

·       I will allow rumours because rumours are a part of sports. However, please do not post anything as fact that directly affects the PHL story. Please try to use some sort of disclaimer such as ‘‘there has been a rumour…‘‘.

·       Your character may or may not appear again in the narrative.

·       Your character should not be closely associated with any current or potential PHL franchise. The PHL would like this committee to be as un-biased as possible. There will be exceptions for characters such as players or local media members, however.

·       I would suggest making your character a relatively important person, i.e. a lawyer, politician, media member, etc.

·       Just to clarify something, real-life professional teams from hockey or other sports do not exist in this universe, nor do real-life venues. Real-life non-sports figures do exist for the most part as do real-life non-sports related events, such as World War II or 9-11.

·       This hasn’t really been a major issue yet but please try to make your character as era-appropriate as possible. This committee is meeting in 1987.

·       While I will welcome name suggestions, I do already have ideas for names and logos for most of these cities. However, there has been at least one instance where I scrapped my own idea for one that was suggested on the boards. That was the Nova Scotia Claymores. In that case, Claymores was 10 times better than what I had in mind so I ended up using it, so I do appreciate suggestions for names, even if I don’t always use them

·       Finally, when offering opinions on expansion, please stick to the cities listed. By 2016, the PHL will likely be at least 30-32 teams so a lot of cities that are not in the running right now will get a chance in the future.

Those are the basic guidelines. I’ll post more if any issues come up. For now, here are the main cities in the running for expansion with the pros and cons for each one. The two winning bids will be chosen by the commissioner from the top three voted cities.

1.      Kansas City

Population (1987): 440,000*

Fan Support: Strong

Owner: Milliken Group; a locally based investment group led by multi-millionaire Ken Milliken.

Arena: Team would play in 19,000-seat KC Sportsplex, built in 1984.

Pros: Kansas City has been primed for PHL hockey for years now. With the enormous success of the cross-state St. Louis Spirits, locals have been clamoring for a team of their own. The potential ownership group is very wealthy and certainly have the funds to bring a franchise to the city and support it. Best of all, a modern, state-of-the-art Arena is already fully functioning and waiting for a PHL franchise.

Cons: There really is no disadvantage to Kansas City at this time but if there is one, it could be that Ken Milliken, while wealthy, does have a very limited knowledge of the game. He would need to surround himself with knowledgeable hockey people for the team to have much success on the ice.

2.      Miami

Population (1987): 350,000*

Fan Support: Unknown

Owner: Hector Cruz, a real-estate Multi-Millionaire from the Dominican Republic and owner of Miami’s Professional Baseball League franchise.

Arena: Team would play in Miami Forum until new 18,500-seat Castillo Center is completed in 1990.

Pros: What began as a relatively weak bid has now become one of the strongest. Hector Cruz has built a baseball dynasty in south Florida and has now fallen in love with hockey after spending time in Canada while expanding his brand into the country. Cruz is extremely wealthy and has proven he has the cash to make just about anything happen. The Castillo Center, named after Castillo Developments, Cruz’s company, will be just about ready by the time the team hits the ice. Expansion to Miami would also help expand the league’s footprint, potentially bringing a whole region of new fans to the game.

Cons: There are still legitimate concerns about whether or not Florida is ready for hockey. In terms of selling the game and establishing a fanbase, Cruz and his team will be starting from scratch.

3.      Cleveland

Population (1987): 530,000*

Owner: Farber Group, led by David Farber, a multi-millionaire who spearheaded Cleveland’s previous two bids.

Arena: Farber has secured funding and land for a new 18,000-seat arena in the outskirts of Cleveland, he just needs approval from the city to build on the property.

Pros: Cleveland has been in the running for a PHL franchise since the 1960s and this might be the best time for the league to finally make it happen. David Farber’s wealth has grown tremendously since his last attempt in 1976, and with the success of the nearby Pittsburgh Stingers, local interest in the game has also picked up significantly during the 1980s.

Cons: There is likely a new arena coming, but it’s taken over a decade for Farber to make it happen. The Cleveland Coliseum is simply not big enough anymore, nor is close enough to PHL standards to host a team for very long so the Farber Group would need to finalize the project very quickly if awarded a franchise. If the deal were to fall through, it would be nothing short of a disaster for the franchise.

4.      Cincinnati

Population (1987): 375,000*

Fan Support: Fair

Owner: Art Brogen, a wealthy entrepreneur worth about $100 Million.

Arena: Team would play in William H Taft Arena, an 11,000- seat arena built in 1945, until new downtown arena is completed, sometime in either 1990 or ’91.

Pros: Cincinnati was a late bid but its strength convinced the league to consider it. Unlike Cleveland, Cincinnati already has an approved arena on the way. Art Brogen has the money to acquire and support the team until they get on their feet and Ohio is quickly becoming a solid hockey market. Also, the lack of other sports of Cincinnati (there is currently only a football team) could give it an advantage over Cleveland in terms of fan interest.

Cons: The population is not huge and there is concern about how organized this bid really is. Brogen has secured the arena but required public funding to build it. There are some details that still need to be worked out with the city that could be significant enough to keep the franchise from happening. Cincinnati may be a better fit in the future.

5.      Houston

Population (1987): 1,600,000*

Fan Support: Weak

Owner: Bernie Cratt, an Oil Baron worth nearly $5 Billion. One of the wealthiest men in America.

Arena: TexCo Center, an 18,000 seat arena built in 1985. The home of Houston’s Professional Basketball League franchise, also owned by Cratt.

Pros: Bernie Cratt’s wealth alone could support the team, even if the fans don’t take to it right away. The team would also be playing in one of the country’s best venues.

Cons: The PHL is still quite shell-shocked about the way the Dallas situation played out and may not be quite ready to return to Texas. There are also concerns about Cratt’s commitment to owning a hockey team. He has many interests and a hand in almost everything across the United States and could easily become bored with the team if it does not win right away.

6.      Atlanta

Population (1987): 400,000*

Fan Support: Unknown

Owner: Clark & Waters Investments, an investment firm worth $300 Million that also owns Atlanta’s Basketball team.

Arena: Team would play in 50-year-old St. James Hall, a basketball arena seating only 11,000 for hockey. Owners are trying to convince the city to fund a new arena for both basketball and hockey.

Pros: Clark & Waters is significantly wealthier than the group that previously attempted to land a franchise during the 70s. The firm has owned the local basketball franchise since 1978 and has already turned them into a championship calibre team. Atlanta is one of the largest media markets in the United States and could be a valuable addition to the league.

Cons: There is a huge concern that Clark & Waters may be using the PHL to help secure a new building for the basketball franchise. Besides that, Atlanta is not a traditional hockey town by any means and, like Miami, would be building a fanbase from scratch.

7.      Portland

Population (1987): 400,000*

Owner: Bruce Goble, a local millionaire worth about $50 Million.

Arena: This bid is completely dependent on the proposed downtown arena becoming a reality. There is no other suitable building at this time.

Pros: The Pacific Northwest is a strong hockey region. The Vancouver Bighorns and Seattle Grey Wolves are both extremely popular in their respective cities and there’s definitely room for another franchise. Portland has a decent-sized population and Bruce Goble is fairly young compared to the other prospective owners and his wealth is growing.

Cons: There is currently no suitable arena for Professional Hockey. Goble does not yet have the funds on his own to acquire the franchise and build the arena, he will need public funding to make it happen. Portland may be a better option in the future.

8.      Oakland

Population (1987): 370,000*

Fan Support: Fair

Owner: Bob Winkler, an Oakland-based entrepreneur worth about $60 Million who was born and raised in Vancouver and is a huge hockey fan.

Arena: Oakland Arena seats about 17,000 and was built in 1976.

Pros: After seeing the success of the Long Island Concordes in suburban New York, Bob Winkler feels a similar situation could work in the Bay area. Winkler is passionate about the game and there is already perfectly suitable arena for the team to play in right away.

Cons: The California Nuggets have already said they will not allow another team in their territory without some form of financial restitution. This could significantly affect revenues for the franchise. The club could also have a very hard time building a fanbase as the Nuggets, named for the entire state rather than just their city, have done an excellent job marketing to the entire region.

*Population figures are estimates based on numbers from 1990 and include only the core cities, not the entire metro areas.

Name: Charles Venable

Current Residence: Salt Lake City, UT

Position: Founder and CEO of Zion Motors

Charles Venable always had one burning passion in his life: cars. Growing up as the son of a high-ranking elder in the Church of Latter Day Saints, he was expected to follow in his father's footsteps when he suddenly died in 1970. Left with a sizable inheritance at the age of 28, he finally felt he could follow his true passion and founded Zion Motors. Charles saw that with new environmental regulations, smaller cars with lower emissions would be favored over the gas-guzzling muscle cars that were currently popular. At first, interest was minimal as the American market had no use for small vehicles. The future looked bleak for Venable and his company.

Then, the Oil Crisis of 1973 hit and suddenly Zion's small cars were seen as attractive to buyers wanting to save money at the pump. This surge initially was on the West Coast until Zion introduced the Comet and a nationwide advertising blitz to accompany it. Boasting acceleration three times as fast as other cars of it's class as well as the fuel economy Zion became known for, the Zion Comet became America's best-selling small car in the 1970's. Times have not been as good for Zion Motors since oil prices collapsed in the 1980's and tastes shifted to larger vehicles again, but Zion is preparing its comeback. Charles sees the international racing circuit as a way to market Zion Motors to Europe and Japan where the demand for smaller cars is larger than in America. Charles believes in aggressively finding market inefficiencies as that risk-taking has built his fortune when the other American auto manufacturers went conservative and faltered. As a result of that mindset, his interest in auto racing has opened his eyes to hockey as having the biggest growth potential in the United States and has taken interest in trying to help broaden the game by joining the Expansion Council.

Charles has decided his top 3 bids for PHL expansion:

1. Kansas City:

They have everything you could ever want in a bid. A committed market and owner, a very new building and an instant rivalry with the St. Louis Spirits. No brainer.

2. Houston:

It's a big market with a rich owner and a very new building. Yes, there are definitely concerns about the owner's potential dedication and the market, but you have to take risks to make money and Houston as a successful market would definitely broaden the PHL brand nationwide.

3. Cleveland 

If this bid was 5 years later, it would be number 2. But, they don't have an arena yet and even though the land has been bought, the threat of local politics derailing construction is too large of a threat to ignore along with the current arena being unfit to play in. But, if they can get the arena built, Cleveland would be a shoo-in for expansion and I believe that there will be a team in Cleveland in the near future if they don't make it this round.

Bert Metzger is a restaurateur from Racine, Wisconsin, and the son of recently-deceased Expansion Committee member Fred Metzger.  The elder Metzger's history with the Metzgers Haus of Gutessen restaurants has been published in the prior two posts...but as he was on his deathbed, he gave his son his blessing to take the family business national and make it a franchise of family restaurants so that the world can enjoy the same good German eats that those in southeast Wisconsin and northeast Illinois had for so long.  As such, the Metzger's chain recently opened their first restaurants in Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana and Michigan. still proving to be the best atmosphere for fans who can't make it to the arena on game night, only now not only for Rocks and Chops fans, but also for Jacks and Stangs fans as well.  Bert anticipates the chain will be in all 50 states by the time these two new expansion teams begin play.

In his first go on the Expansion Council, Bert is honored to vote for these cities:

1. Kansas City, Missouri (As close to a perfect bid as it gets...strong fan support, good population base, new arena already built, gateway for further teams in the Heartland.  As for the one weakness, business is all about delegation and advisors...I trust Ken will surround himself with some good ones to make KC's team a success.)

2. Cincinnati, Ohio (Cincy gets Bert's vote for a few simple reasons...the arena has already been approved and is ready to be built, plus the lack of other sports teams in Cincy is an advantage.  But what cinched Bert's vote is the simple fact that, on the banks of the Ohio River with Kentucky right below it, it serves as an ideal lynchpin should the league decide to expand further in the Southeast.)
3. Portland, Oregon (Portland has strong support for the hockey game, with it being highly likely that the proposal will be approved-not to mention a team would complete the trifecta with the Bighorns and the Grey Wolves...the only reason it isn't higher is because there's no suitable temporary venue in the meantime.  Them gettng a team is not a matter of "if," but "when.")

On 2/16/2016 at 4:04 PM, RedfieldNick said:

Donald Bell is a former St. Louis goaltender who had a very difficult time making it into professional hockey, as where he was from really made PHL teams pass on him. Being born on August 4, 1945, in Wichita, Kansas, he gained his love for the game watching the local junior team, the Wichita Wingmen, play. He would eventually become the amazing starter for the Wingmen in the Great Plains Hockey League, setting many league records. He went unsigned by PHL teams, then going to St. Louis in the GHL draft's last round. He was a consistent goaltender, and was a great friend of the team's best players. He was very underrated when compared to others on his team, but was always helping young goaltenders at the local ice center. His game was characterized by a strange new style he called the "butterfly" style, dropping to his knees to block shots. He also wore the highest number worn at the time, 84, to represent his birthday (8/4), and had the team logo painted on his mask for the last year of the GHL, which after the year, satisfied with his career, retired. He moved to Kansas City after he finished his career, and opened a successful sports memorabilia shop, which some of the top players in the league have donated precious finds to the shop, including Tommy Cooper and Gilbert Giroux signed game used stick, and his old mask, painted and all. He has a lot of spending money from salary in hockey, and he keeps making profits in his shop, giving him enough to maybe  obtain ownership for a team, and the expansion committee is the first step in that process in his opinion.

While he can't vote for Kansas City, as he resides in the area, Bell still has votes

1. Miami-All in!! If Miami works out, then the PHL has a gateway open for other southern teams to succeed.

2. Cleveland-If they can't get the arena done in time, they could play in Cincy till it's done, it would be good to test the Cincy market until Cleveland gets their rink. But now is Cleveland's time.

Bob Norris is a nationwide real estate developer, based in Chicago, Illinois, and season ticket holder of the Chicago Shamrocks. He greatly enjoys hockey, and looks to not only help determine the location of the expansion clubs, but he looks to also put some cash in his pocket by securing the real estate for the teams joining league to build arenas, regardless of where those teams are located.

Bob votes as follows:

1. Kansas City - The time is right, and a fan base that is already clamoring for a team, everything is in place for them now.

2. Cincinnati - Bob voted for Cleveland in the past, but sees Cincinnati's location further away from other teams than Cleveland (Pittsburgh and Detroit) allows better ability to get to more fans, and also provides more in-roads to the south with it's location on the border of Ohio and Kentucky.

3. Portland - Although a lack of current arena in the city, one would assume that the strong fan support afforded by the city would allow the votes to go through to allow public funding of the arena. With two major colleges in the state, Eugene, on the campus of the University of Oregon, could host the team for a time. This also connects the coastline with Vancouver/Seattle and San Francisco/Los Angeles.

Don Mathew owns a chain of hotels on the east coast and grew up watching the game of hockey thus his strong love for it. He is very involved in youth hockey paying to build many new rinks on the local level. Don's votes are as follows:

1-Kansas City. They seem to have their ducks in a row and are PHL ready.

2-cleveland. Ohio is getting to be a hockey hotbed and it would be great to see cleveland have a team of it's own. It just seems like its the right time for them.

3-cincinnati. A cleveland-cincinnati rivaly would be amazing plus the arena already on its way and the relativley untaped market makes cincy a great choice.

My Name is Christian Benson The Owner Of Benson Truck Driving School My Father Milton Calvin Benson Founded THE Truck driving school in 1970
He And My Mother Love Hockey When They Both died on May 26,1983 I Took Over And Own the truck driving School I Love Hockey And the PHL.

MY 3 Bids For PHL Expansion Are

1.Miami
2.Cleveland
3.Atlanta

Cleveland Skippys would be an ironic name hahaha

Otto Allan (44) currently lives in San Diego, California. Growing up in Alberta, hockey has always been in Allan's life. He moved to California after a degree in marketing and fell in love with the state. The bright colors and beach atmosphere of San Diego inspired him to start his own fashion brand, Surf Otto, in 1976. The company grew on and has since been a hit with the nation, now worth over millions of dollars. He has not given up his love for hockey though, and has been delighted to join this expansion council.

His three choices are:

1) Miami - Allan believes that this untapped Southern market can bring in a new wave of hockey fans. Not to mention, they have a stable arena plan, something that seems to be lacking in these expansion bids.

2) Kansas City - Allan does not see how Kansas City cannot get a team. The only reason Miami is above is that the area is free from other hockey teams, unlike Kansas City which has St. Louis, Minnesota, and Winnipeg decently close. 

3) Atlanta - a bit of a left-field choice, but Allan is a strong believer in expanding south. He's not confident in this vote, but would like to encourage other members of the expansion council to start thinking of expanding the game.

{name suggestions}

I'd love to see the name Florida Flamingos for whatever team comes out of Miami. I just feel that this name would unique and flow really well into the 90s. Maybe teal and pink?

Kansas City could always go with a hog theme, albeit a little cheesy. But, we are getting close to the 90s.

*sees Atlanta, has NHL flashbacks*

Ricardo Silver, 48. Silver originally from Nova Scotia became well-known as the best left handed pitcher in the Professional Baseball League. Along with his accolades he became the first 'million dollar man' of the PBL. Not to mention his gleaming smile and good looks left him with adds and movie deals. He retired from his Hall of Fame career with 384 wins, 2.76 ERA, and most notably 4,128 Ks. Even in retirement his heart still longs for hockey, a high school player. He hopes that hockey can become the biggest sport in the world and wishes to grow the game beyond the standard hockey borders. (If you're wondering about his net worth it would be around 30-60 mil) 

1 Kansas City, a quite perfect bid for a team. Almost nothing to complain about

2 Portland, the city would complete the Pacofic North West threesome and even without a suitable arena the fan base is strong enough to have one close to ready by 1989

3 Miami, Out of all the southern cities Miami has the best owner, arena, and possible fan base 

Runner Ups

Cleveland, the lack of arena and lack of new arena has more concerns than Portland

Houston, lack of possible fan base and compared to Miami, who have a similar situation, they are worse in almost every category besides money

Cincinnati, has the best chance of landing a future team and almost got Silvers vote. The new arena plans, and key geographical positioning. The city size doesn't mean as much since other PHL teams have done great jobs in small markets (Quebec, NS, St Louis, Milwaukee) 

random name ideas

Kansas City Nighthawks, sounds like a name that could give the Spirits a run for their money

Portland Cascades, there's nothing quite as Pacific North Western as Cascades

Florida Tropics, strange name for a hockey team but that's what makes it great. 

Bradley Callahan votes for 

1. Kansas City: Easily by far the strongest bid of the bunch and with an area already in place, the timing feels right.

2. Miami: While Bradley is distrustful of such a new region when it comes to Hockey, he feels the bid is strong hands and could lead to interest within the Southeast and Beyond.

3. Cleveland: Bradley sees this bid as a good way to help build instant rivalries with Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh or even DC

Edited by Darknes
forgot to add third vote