hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: Atlantic Division Uniforms, Stingers New Look Unveiled

That is such a great logo! Very 90's

Good bye Claymores, it was fun while it lasted. Now I'm down a favorite team. Great job on the logos, the jerseys are so very ugly, which is a compliment 

1995 Uniform Changes

Teams continued to make changes to their identities in 1995, this time it was LA, Edmonton, and Toronto who unveiled new looks. The LA Wizards new identity even came with a slight name change, changing the official name to the Los Angeles Wizards. LA Wizards would still be used as an abbreviated name. The new primary Wizards logo features a full-body wizard holding a hockey stick above his head in celebration. the secondary logo, which will be found on the shoulders, features a hockey stick doubling as a magic wand crossed over map of California, while a tertiary logo, which is basically an updated version of the classic Wizards logo will be used on the front of the pants as well as in some promotional materials. The updated color scheme features a new shade of purple, closer to blue than the old shade, a new, redder shade of orange, and black, which is the base color for the road jersey. The jerseys feature a sublimated design at the bottom. "It's an exciting time for our franchise and I believe the new uniforms and logo reflect that" said owner Ron Nichol. 

LAlogos.thumb.png.b56835ed576ae373b958c53285f1df41.png

LAunis.thumb.png.7ff0a56bc38508c49beb96551cb16fcc.png

Elsewhere, the Edmonton Northern Lights also came out with a new look. The Northern Lights' primary logo features a bear paw with a tundra-like landscape and Northern Lights contained within it in the new team colors of purple, black, blue, and a much brighter shade of  neon green. The home uniform is white, while the road uniform is now purple with a gradient pattern at the waist. "I like them, I think they look cool" said veteran defenseman Dwight Ingram. 

EDMlogos.thumb.png.d2b58a16edbe184a73a8388190a2c7d3.png

EDMunis.thumb.png.8e01a9a3799143d68b5520cb66a13365.png

The final team to make an update to their uniforms was the Toronto Racers. Toronto retains the classic steering wheel logo used since the 1950s, but with some modern tweaks. A new alternate logo has been added as well, featuring the initials "TO" with the O stylized to look like a tire. The uniforms have a more classic feel than the previous uniforms, the vertical striping down the arms gives way to horizontal stripes at the waist, reminiscent of the old Racers uniforms from the 1950s and 60s. The colors have been updated as both shades of blue have been darkened. The jerseys also feature an italicized number font to invoke speed. "I love the uniforms" said veteran winger Scott Whitmore, a Toronto native and lifelong Racers fan before joining the team. "I love that we're going back to a more classic look."

TOlogos.thumb.png.ed9b9dec1cf53f71b6e5f86d47e228ce.png

TOunis.thumb.png.876626f88d5821d2dab72e6a12e60ee6.png

In addition to the changes in Los Angeles, Edmonton, and Toronto, the league also entered the second year of their third jersey program. Calgary, Miami, and Milwaukee. The Stingrays will wear a black alternate with a wave pattern at the waist, Milwaukee will wear orange alternates with a flame design on the bottom, while Calgary will wear brown jerseys styled to look like a cowboy vest.

alts.thumb.png.7bbc3fa1133f29678a7d40093f183fe5.png

>Sees the new Edmonton uniforms

My eyes.....

True story, actually got a minor migraine when I saw those.

You really captured that over-the-top look. I'm thinking Milwaukee's rotated logo might be a test run for the new primary but that's just me.

Wow. Love the new Wizard's and Northern Light's logos, but is the Wizard's really purple? It looks very much like blue to me. Northern Light's jerseys are great, and the Racer's update is much needed and I can see them keeping that for a while. As for the third jerseys, I'm not feeling them. Calgary's is ok, but I don't like the logo used for Milwaukee's third and I like Miami's third, but I was holding out on a pink jersey. Still a great job all around. 

EDIT: Me hoping, but I'd like to see the black jersey for the Stingrays get promoted to primary and then have a pink third. I'm more of a fan of the new black jersey than teal jersey but that's just me.

EDIT 2: Since we only have about 5 years left in this decade, what other teams do you think will get 90s updates before we roll into the 2000s? I always thought the Grey Wolves and Bighorns could have a cartoony-animal identity. 

Edited by ~Bear

Loving the new updates. I can see Edmonton and Toronto in those uniforms lasting until the present day, with some tweaking. Miami's new alt could be promoted to primary, but I don't see those other two alts lasting more than two or three years. 

The 90s can be summed up in one image:

1024px-Solid_black.svg.png

I don't know if I've said it before, but welcome to the 90's. I like LA and Toronto's updates, but I think you went a little over the top with EDM. But hey, it's the 90s, where just about everything is over the top. Also: I see an uncanny resemblance between the Racers logo and one of these lifeguard tubes.

49 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

>Sees the new Edmonton uniforms

My eyes.....

You really captured that over-the-top look. I'm thinking Milwaukee's logo might be a test run for the new primary but that's just me.

Yeah Edmonton's look is pretty crazy, typical of a team that introduced neon to the league I guess haha.

For Milwaukee, I doubt the new logo would become the new primary. I think it works as an alternate but I think their regular logo is still stronger.

46 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

Wow. Love the new Wizard's and Northern Light's logos, but is the Wizard's really purple? It looks very much like blue to me. Northern Light's jerseys are great, and the Racer's update is much needed and I can see them keeping that for a while. As for the third jerseys, I'm not feeling them. Calgary's is ok, but I don't like the logo used for Milwaukee's third and I like Miami's third, but I was holding out on a pink jersey. Still a great job all around. 

The Wizards are purple but its borderline between blue/purple (forum blue?). On some screens it does appear blue. I also think Toronto's look could last even until now. As for the third jerseys, I think some of the more over-the-top ones will probably only last a year or two. The uniforms in general will start becoming slightly more tame as we move into the late 90s.

31 minutes ago, Mercy_King said:

Loving the new updates. I can see Edmonton and Toronto in those uniforms lasting until the present day, with some tweaking. Miami's new alt could be promoted to primary, but I don't see those other two alts lasting more than two or three years. 

Toronto for sure, Edmonton will probably make some changes in about a decade, though the logo could last a while. I agree about the alts, Miami's will probably last the longest of the three.

30 minutes ago, RightGuard said:

The 90s can be summed up in one image:

1024px-Solid_black.svg.png

Haha yeah pretty much. Lots of "black for black's sake" in this decade.

29 minutes ago, PackMan said:

I don't know if I've said it before, but welcome to the 90's. I like LA and Toronto's updates, but I think you went a little over the top with EDM. But hey, it's the 90s, where just about everything is over the top. Also: I see an uncanny resemblance between the Racers logo and one of these lifeguard tubes.

I felt it was appropriate for Edmonton to go over the top, especially with their unusual name and colors, They'll probably tone it down by the 2000s.

All the new changes are amazing, Edmonton looks like a front runner to be my new favorite team since Claymores are gone (or I could be a rebel like all those Expos and Nordique fans who are waiting). The new alternates all looks great, especially Miami. But holy Black for blacks sake. Even purple is used pretty often. Edmonton's new uniforms most atrocious things I've seen for awhile, which gives them a dejó vu kinda feel. Reminds me a lot of the Diamondbacks, everytime they change uniforms they're uglier. 

7 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Love it all, but the shape of California in the wizards logo makes me a little uncomfortable.

Didn't think much of it at first, but you're right. It looks like a sock (at best) or California has Peyronie's Disease (at worst). I can only imagine that said logo is going to be the butt of many jokes on the primordial Internet.

EDIT: Do not Google Peyronie's Disease unless you're alone and/or have a strong stomach. It's a medical condition, but still.

So I've been aware of your league for a bit and decided to start following it in earnest when you got to the years that I got into the NHL and man 90s unis were terrible! You've done a great job capturing the era and this whole thing is a great read. I feel like there's a lot of history I still don't know, have access to from fans of the league that would love to share, and that I don't exactly need to know it in order to enjoy following a team from here. It's hard to explain so I'll stop trying.

Great work!  

*sees LA*

Me:

Seriously, this is some cool stuff!

I love the new logo for Edmonton. The move to purple jerseys is nice. But the actual jerseys are too 90's for my taste. I would've been 12 at this point though, and those jerseys would've been awesome to 12 year old me.

All of these new looks/third jerseys are amazing. I especially love the Milwaukee Third and the Wizards new look. That new wordmark looks sick. Can't wait for the '95-96 Season to kick off.

Not sure I like Edmontons new look. Maybe I was just a big fan of the old one and resist change. Not sure. I prefer their old blue to their new purple. But that's just me.

7 hours ago, PackMan said:

Also: I see an uncanny resemblance between the Racers logo and one of these lifeguard tubes.

I've always thought that.  The R blocks the center part of the logo and makes it look a lot more like a lifesaver tube than a steering wheel.  The Racers have actually always been one of my least favorite teams because of it.

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:
6 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Love it all, but the shape of California in the wizards logo makes me a little uncomfortable.

Didn't think much of it at first, but you're right. It looks like a sock (at best) or California has Peyronie's Disease (at worst). I can only imagine that said logo is going to be the butt of many jokes on the primordial Internet.

Yeah, I was going to say it looks like a condom, but that's only because I previously didn't know what Peyronie's Disease was.  Incidentally... you really should add a warning not to google that.  I mean, I would have done it anyway, but then I would only have had myself to blame.

4 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I love the new logo for Edmonton. The move to purple jerseys is nice. But the actual jerseys are too 90's for my taste. I would've been 12 at this point though, and those jerseys would've been awesome to 12 year old me.

And in being 3/3 on being beaten to what I was going to say - I agree completely.  I would have been 8, that jersey fills me with childhood nostalgia.  I don't know why, but it immediately made me think of that old Nickelodeon show Guts, particularly the Aggro Crag.

1 hour ago, Veras said:

Yeah, I was going to say it looks like a condom, but that's only because I previously didn't know what Peyronie's Disease was.  Incidentally... you really should add a warning not to google that.  I mean, I would have done it anyway, but then I would only have had myself to blame.

Done. Yeah, It's real disturbing and because I've been desensitized to a lot of it, I forget that a lot of people haven't. Sorry about that.