hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: Atlantic Division Uniforms, Stingers New Look Unveiled

Something tells me the Generals are going to have a really out there red, white and blue color design. Make it so outrageously patriotic that Uncle Sam would think it's pushing it. 

I'm thinking the Bighorns completely change their color scheme too. Probably they'll go BFBS. 

13 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Something tells me the Generals are going to have a really out there red, white and blue color design. Make it so outrageously patriotic that Uncle Sam would think it's pushing it. 

I'm thinking the Bighorns completely change their color scheme too. Probably they'll go BFBS. 

Wasn't the 90s all about teal?

20 minutes ago, wentvoltage123 said:

Wasn't the 90s all about teal?

As we move into the later part of the 90s im sure we will see some black unis. BFBS really took of in the late 90s. Mets started wearing black in 97

Generals, Bighorns Unveil New Logos

Two more teams unveiled new logos and uniforms in the summer of 1996. In a decade that has already seen many rebrands for PHL clubs the Washington Generals and Vancouver Bighorns are the latest teams to overhaul their look. The Generals' new logo features the head of an eagle wearing an olive green beret, while the uniforms further enhance the Army theme with a camouflage design on the shoulders and arms. The arms also feature the team's new secondary logo, based on the US Army logo on one side and a chevron logo on the other side. "I think the jerseys are pretty cool, I love the camo pattern" said forward Rob Wentzel. "It's a great look, It'll feel like we're going into battle" said goaltender Jake Borman.

WSHlogos.thumb.png.87dabf1bbf61d0a9bc1244b097069148.png

WSHunis.thumb.png.b57d5d5bdb53f1b58a3ef1c3060289a0.png

In Vancouver, the Bighorns revealed the first primary logo in modern franchise history to actually feature a Bighorn Sheep. The logo is a ram's head with a scowl on its face, ready to charge. The secondary mark features an inuksuk-style hockey player with a stick and helmet. The basic theme of the rebrand is based in Pacific indigenous art. The uniforms feature the teams updated color scheme of brick red, black, and orange with a black gradient effect on both jerseys. "We really wanted a uniform that plays into the culture of Vancouver and British Columbia" said David Smythe, the son of Bighorns owner Donald Smythe. David Smythe oversaw the entire rebrand and will soon take over control of the franchise. The logo change will coincide with the teams' move into a new downtown arena in October, 1996.

VANlogos.thumb.png.e8a1cdb430626b3d5601ce1c29fddad3.png

VANunis.thumb.png.f955b68960217eb2ffe16d766a6afe20.png

In other uniform news, the Boston Bulldogs will officially make their popular red alternate jerseys the primary road jerseys in 1996-97, while the black uniforms will remain as the team's alternate. Meanwhile, the Minnesota Lumberjacks will retire their black alternates, worn since the 1994-95 season. And finally, three teams unveiled new alternates for 1996. Long Island will wear orange jerseys with a new front-view logo, Quebec will introduce a new black uniform with the "fleur-de-goalie" logo on the front, while Pittsburgh's new alternate will feature the team's insect head secondary logo on a gold jersey with a honeycomb pattern.

alts.thumb.png.85fa688bd919ab3e417d562ba447edcc.png

Great rebrand for the Generals, Bighorns. Both primary and alternate logos are good looks. I wasn't sure at first about either logos, but they have really grown on my, especially the Bighorns. I love how the culture of the Pacific Northwest inspired the uniforms. I like the Generals primary logo, and the secondary logo is nice well, I like the incorporation of the old logo. Not sure how I feel about the camo unis though. The stingers alt is GREAT!

With all these updates in the decade, what teams do you have plans NOT to change?

34 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Great rebrand for the Generals, Bighorns. Both primary and alternate logos are good looks. I wasn't sure at first about either logos, but they have really grown on my, especially the Bighorns. I love how the culture of the Pacific Northwest inspired the uniforms. I like the Generals primary logo, and the secondary logo is nice well, I like the incorporation of the old logo. Not sure how I feel about the camo unis though. The stingers alt is GREAT!

Thanks, glad you like them! Honestly the Bighorns logo was probably one of the most difficult to design in this entire project. I actually started work on it over a year ago when they switched to the "V" logo but could not get it to look right until just now. The gradient look is supposed to be a subtle nod to the Canucks.

30 minutes ago, RightGuard said:

With all these updates in the decade, what teams do you have plans NOT to change?

Some of the original teams, Montreal, Chicago, and Philly won't change at all probably right up until now. Detroit has a very slight logo update coming in the early 2000s but for the most part will stay the same. Winnipeg will have updated jerseys likely in time for 1998-99 but the logo will stay completely unchanged. Aside from third jerseys, the crazy, over the top uniforms will probably slow down now. St. Louis and Seattle are up next year and both are pretty tame, the Spirits' new look is really just an update to what they currently have. eventually you will see some teams return to the classic looks too.

23 minutes ago, Cardinal said:

Washington's camo feels a bit over the top to me but it is the 90s so I guess it works.

Yeah I don't see those jerseys lasting very long for Washington, in fact they may even change again before the decade is out, similar to the Islanders' fishsticks unis.

Love the Bighorns. Reminds me a lot of the early 2000s Canucks but in a good way. Generals new logo is great as well. 

Not crazy on the Generals uniforms. I agree that it's a little overboard. The Stingers alternate however is a thing of beauty. 

Well I guess now that there is both camo and gradients in uniforms we're totally in the 90s now. Both logos could probably stay for the rest of the decade and maybe into the 2010s. Does the runic text at the bottom of the Bighorn's uniforms actually mean anything or are they there just for aesthetics? 

I think both logos could stay for a while. Not overboard, full 90s. They could survive for a couple of decades. Id really like to see a alternate logo with a full bodied Bighorn Sheep. Maybe as we move closer to the 2010s??

Sorry, the camo doesn't work for the Generals. Maybe if you sublimated it, it might work but that's not really 90s. I don't know. Bighorns are incredible, I can see that logo lasting them until today, maybe with a return to the classic color scheme and a toning down of the uniforms. IMO, I would call the "fleur-de-goalie" secondary logo the "goal-de-lis", as I simply think it flows better (sort of like the Pelicans' "bird-de-lis" or the old Hornets "fleur-de-bee, it just rolls off the tongue)

Gah...C'mon Mustangs! 

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned before or not, but are there PHL video games? If so, is there a cover athlete every season or is it a pic of the championship contenders from the year before? 

Fantastic series 

5 hours ago, hawkfan89 said:

Generals, Bighorns Unveil New Logos

Two more teams unveiled new logos and uniforms in the summer of 1996. In a decade that has already seen many rebrands for PHL clubs the Washington Generals and Vancouver Bighorns are the latest teams to overhaul their look. The Generals' new logo features the head of an eagle wearing an olive green beret, while the uniforms further enhance the Army theme with a camouflage design on the shoulders and arms. The arms also feature the team's new secondary logo, based on the US Army logo on one side and a chevron logo on the other side. "I think the jerseys are pretty cool, I love the camo pattern" said forward Rob Wentzel. "It's a great look, It'll feel like we're going into battle" said goaltender Jake Borman.

WSHlogos.thumb.png.87dabf1bbf61d0a9bc1244b097069148.png

WSHunis.thumb.png.b57d5d5bdb53f1b58a3ef1c3060289a0.png

In Vancouver, the Bighorns revealed the first primary logo in modern franchise history to actually feature a Bighorn Sheep. The logo is a ram's head with a scowl on its face, ready to charge. The secondary mark features an inuksuk-style hockey player with a stick and helmet. The basic theme of the rebrand is based in Pacific indigenous art. The uniforms feature the teams updated color scheme of brick red, black, and orange with a black gradient effect on both jerseys. "We really wanted a uniform that plays into the culture of Vancouver and British Columbia" said David Smythe, the son of Bighorns owner Donald Smythe. David Smythe oversaw the entire rebrand and will soon take over control of the franchise. The logo change will coincide with the teams' move into a new downtown arena in October, 1996.

VANlogos.thumb.png.e8a1cdb430626b3d5601ce1c29fddad3.png

VANunis.thumb.png.f955b68960217eb2ffe16d766a6afe20.png

In other uniform news, the Boston Bulldogs will officially make their popular red alternate jerseys the primary road jerseys in 1996-97, while the black uniforms will remain as the team's alternate. Meanwhile, the Minnesota Lumberjacks will retire their black alternates, worn since the 1994-95 season. And finally, three teams unveiled new alternates for 1996. Long Island will wear orange jerseys with a new front-view logo, Quebec will introduce a new black uniform with the "fleur-de-goalie" logo on the front, while Pittsburgh's new alternate will feature the team's insect head secondary logo on a gold jersey with a honeycomb pattern.

alts.thumb.png.85fa688bd919ab3e417d562ba447edcc.png

Fantastic series man!  Love the Quebec 3rd jersey.  I feel like the fleur-de-lis has become an overrated mark due to saturation, but your usage of it has pushed it back across the line to underrated land.  I'll now look forward to 96-97 and hopefully, hopefully, a season where the Civics can secure a playoff spot without having to face Montreal.  

17 minutes ago, JD1500 said:

Fantastic series 

Fantastic series man!  Love the Quebec 3rd jersey.  I feel like the fleur-de-lis has become an overrated mark due to saturation, but your usage of it has pushed it back across the line to underrated land.  I'll now look forward to 96-97 and hopefully, hopefully, a season where the Civics can secure a playoff spot without having to face Montreal.  

I 100% agree that the fleur-de-goalie is one of the best alternate logos in the series. 

Seriously, I wish the Nationale's fleur-de-(goa)lis jersey existed in real life...I WOULD BUY ONE!

So after reading some of the feedback, I decided to make some changes to the Generals uniforms, most notably removing the camo pattern. What do you guys think?

WSHunis.thumb.png.af3b7961eaec37deedacb490c55355ce.png

Much better look. I still get the military feel without the busy camo pattern. It also brings more attention to the Eagle, which is a great logo.

17 hours ago, Mercy_King said:

Well I guess now that there is both camo and gradients in uniforms we're totally in the 90s now. Both logos could probably stay for the rest of the decade and maybe into the 2010s. Does the runic text at the bottom of the Bighorn's uniforms actually mean anything or are they there just for aesthetics? 

It's just for aesthetics. I wanted to do a pattern on the bottom and collar similar to the original Vancouver Grizzlies uniforms and it seemed like using some form of text would be the best way to make it work, particularly on the collar. The same "V" logo that appears on the Inuksuk logo appears at the center of the pattern if you look closely.