hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: Concordes Unveil New Look

I thought I'd make a mildly sarcastic and harsh review of every team in the PHL so far, I don't have the best memory of the teams past, but I'm really bored and felt like doing something. This is not to be taken seriously, the PHL is amazing and while I do hold some criticisms in this post, it does not suggest my complete true feelings for the teams (except Vancouver, they suck). If people are too offended I might make one of these reviews for the AFA.

Bawstin Bulldogs: the 'Bawstin' team, like every sport they had a curse for awhile yet still have a ton of championships. And just like the real-life Bawstin teams, I prefer their old jerseys. Overall rating -1/10 cause Bawstin. 

Calgary Wranglers Jeans: Skippy Cleveland's lovechild that should've died in the WHL but continued because Cleveland is a PBJ version of Howe. Overall rating 2/10 the name is a great call to the Stampede.

California WHALES Nuggets: I almost went to cheer for them during the early days of the WHL, then the team sucked, and the gaudy 90s jerseys make me just want to throw up more than Taylor Swifts new song. Overall rating is-there-a-number-less-than-0?-10

Canada Something Carolina Raiders: I honestly forgot the Beavers existed before the relocation. If I wasn't a former Claymores fan I would probably cheer for them now. Overall 6/10, the rebrand is amazing.

Boston Celtics of Chicago : they have a ton of champions won by multiple dynasties of players and an owner less honorable than if Al Davis, Jerry Jones, and Vivik Ranadivé had a strange illegitimate lovechild. Overall 5/10 they did bring diversity with that Russian guy, and the owner was one of the reasons why the 60s is my favorite decade for the PHL.

Cleveland Coments: what's better than a city with a rock n roll HOF? A team from said city who's logo is a giant rock??? Love the scheme, but it's still 90s. Overall rating 5/10 purple is the OG.

Dallas Desperates: ugh, I really don't want to hate on this team, I did initially suggest the name (though at the same time as several others) but they resemble another team from the Midwest, and the Metros are a classic. Overall 3/10, I'm not a fan of second try teams.

Denver Dallas Desperates: ugh, despite me initially liking them when I first jumped on the PHL bandwagon in the late 40s (back in Buffalo for all you noobs out there) and I still followed them as a backup when the Claymores weren't a contender, which was rare for the Bison to do, anything really. 1/10 it's bad when your design looks identical to another team in the league, and yet I can't tell which team sucks more. 

Detroit Mustanges: one of my personal favorite nicknames for a Detroit team has always been the Mustangs, but considering a mustang wasn't a thing till the 50s, and it was named after a plane used in WWII, and this team being older than WWII, meh. Plus they were so good for a time I remember seeing 'new PHL season' and instantly thinking "welp, Detroit won again". Overall rating 7/10 one of the few dynasties I like outside my own teams (6 straight division champs whoop whoop)

Edmonton Southern Lights: ahhh, I remember when this team was brand spanking new, along with LI. I remember thinking when I first saw them "dam, I don't reckon I ever saw something so terrible, yet so beautiful I cry". Personally since the 'Mores left I'm thinking of them as my new favorite, then they had a rebrand... the current logo reminds me of the Seattle Grizzlies and I'm still not sold on the new design even in the 90s. Overall rating... 5/10 still haven't done much historically, pretty much just Calgary's northern just as dumb brother, but better looking

Kansas City Twisters: out of all the expansion teams of the last decade or so, they have got to be one of my favorites, the uniforms have become quite a classic to me despite the 90s feel. Plus if I remember they started the black trend? Overall 5/10, they still suck. 

Los Angeles Rowlings: thank Veras there's not a second LA team yet, I still hate the Ducks, Clippers and Angels, and to a lesser extant Chargers and Rams. Their dynasty did remind of the early Mustangs and made me want to puke purple tears for 2 decades. Overall rating 3/10 due to personal spite.

New York Concordians: honestly still not sure what a concord is, but the original jersey and scheme was just so 'beautifully horrific' it makes me hate the new scheme, but like the 'Brooklyn' (lol NY) Islanders the 90s are just rough. Overall 3/10 they had some good runs and have some of the best fan support for an expansion team.

Miami Burn-Your-Eyes-Rays: first off, RIP Irwin. Second, they brought in the 90s!!! You can just see the excitement in my face :mellow:. That sums it up. Overall 6/10 I do like the pink.

Milwaukee Metros: the Avalanche of the PHL, following the move from Dallas had tremendous success and way way to much fan support... I personally don't care for them because of how much support they had during and after the move but before no one even knew who they were. Overall rating 4/10, Metros give me nostalgia.

Minnesota Lumberjacks: I'm just waiting for their 90s rebrand to just change their name to Lumberjax. Had one of my favorite dynasties ever for awhile, and have been on my top 3 list for a long time. Overall rating 8/10, I was gonna make a reference to the infamous fighting they had that one year, but I couldn't remember what exactly happened. 

Royal de Montreal: oh how I dislike french, just so many unnecessary letters, just why? So of course the 'Quebecois' team I don't care much for. Plus it took me a few decades to realize them, Ottawa, and Quebec were different teams. 4/10 Ducharme is one of my favorite current players, but again, annoying dynasty. 

NO: I don't even want to write anything for my previous favorite team. From the Maritimes to the end of times, to the Cajuns you go, from my mind you row, far away you go, my heart you break, oh, Nova, oh NO, what have you become... Overall Rating negative  infinity/10, #GiveUsThe'Mores

New York Civics: aka Skippy's b******. I can't remember if they had a dynasty or if it was just Skippy was the only good player back then? Overall 4/10, at one point I thought LI was the only NY team. 

Philadelphia Red :censored:s: much like the Phillies, they sucked for a very long time, thus they will continue to suck for a really long time. Overall rating 6/10, they had some of the best story lines during the 50s.

Pitt Stingers: I found it ironic how both the Stingers and Wasps were both good around the same time, then they both crash and burn and completely suck, and both got redesigns not long ago. Overall Rating 5/10, many forget they were once part of the WHL.

National de Quebec: pretty much just read what I said for Montreal. Overall 4/10, their dynasty was much more annoying than Montreal's and only recently did I start appreciating their logo. 

Seattle Gray Dogos: fun fact: I forgot they were a team for a good decade or two and at one point was gonna ask "when will we see a Seattle or Portland team" then they got 2nd seed that season and answered my question. Overall 7/10, I like their audacity to wear grey AND white, not something I see often. 

St David's Spirit: honestly if it wasn't for Appleby I don't think this team would still exist. Their alternate is pretty sick, dispite how 90s it is. Overall 5/10 Appleby is pretty much Gretzky and their dynasty wasn't as annoying as LA's. 

Toronto Bracers: for awhile Quebec and Toronto seemed to merge into one identity in my mind, despite their playoff duels. I still see few differences. Overall rating 5/10, since the 'Mores departure they are my favorite east Canada team.

Vancouver Big-aspirations: I remember the original Bighorns caused so much troubles during the 50s/60s, those were the times. Ov fall ratings 2/10, I don't like Vancouver teams, and their jerseys have been and are one of my least favorite in the league since the 50s.

Washington Generals: I don't even remember what team they used to be... that's all I have... Overall rating 1/10, I think their late 2000s redesign should focus more on a revolutionary side of general since Washington was a general during the Revolutionary War. 

Winnipeg... wait Winnipeg still has a team???????: what kind of baloney is this? I was certain they would've relocated to Arizona and become utterly useless... then move to Portland like I hope the Coyotes do. Overall rating 7/10, at one point I was gonna cheer for them, still prefer them over a lot of teams, but they have a worse history than the Browns. 

2 hours ago, wentvoltage123 said:

As a North Carolinian and with the Philadelphia Redshirts out of the playoffs this year I guess  I have no option but to say GO RAIDERS!

We need all the fans we can get. Welcome on board (temporarily I guess) Go Raiders!!!

17 hours ago, hawkfan89 said:

1996-97 Regular Season

1997unis2.thumb.png.f7c8232d252f4c31e3af89f2ecc6eb40.png

Murdock.png.dc886544919ef7f5ed880fc4990c9977.pngThe 1996 rookie class was projected to be among the deepest in league history and the rookies around the league did not disappoint. 1st-overall draft pick Sergei Gulinov scored 102 points for Cleveland, finally leading the Cosmos to their first-ever playoff berth, In Philadelphia, Jared Baxter scored 43 goals, while second and third picks Kris Whittle and Andrei Alexeev each scored 41. Nobody, however, could’ve predicted the year that Racers’ pick Joe Murdock would have. Selected 27th in the draft, Murdock was a relative unknown, not even expected to crack the loaded Toronto lineup. Murdock stole the show at training camp, scoring eight goals in Toronto’s five exhibition games, a performance that included a hat-trick. Once the season started, the 18-year-old from Kelowna, BC did not slow down. Murdock became the second rookie in PHL history to win the scoring race with 131 points, including 62 goals as the Racers took second place in the Eastern Conference. Murdock’s incredible performance even prompted the Racers to trade aging star Magnus Swedberg in order to give him more ice time. “I can’t believe what this kid has accomplished this year” said head coach Bob Lacey. “He’s definitely a special player.” Murdock wasn’t the only Racer making headlines in 1996-97, veteran winger Stuart Burns’ first year in Toronto was a success, as the 36-year-old became one of the oldest players to score 100 points.

The New York Civics enjoyed their best season in years, finishing first overall in the league for the first time since Skippy Cleveland led them there in 1957. Aaron Duplacy enjoyed his best year since 1994, scoring 46 goals to lead the team, Lamar Jackson was a runner up for defenseman-of-the-year, while 19-year veteran Clark Pratt announced 1996-97 would be his final season. The Civics headed into the post-season full of optimism. Montreal endured a tough year, losing Vincent Ducharme to a torn ACL in November, but still managed to finish fourth. Veteran Sylvain Landry picked up the slack for Ducharme with 92 points to lead the team. One of the most pleasant surprises of the year was in the PHL’s newest city, as the Carolina Raiders finished fifth in the East to secure the franchise’s first playoff berth since 1985 when the team played in Ottawa. Rookie center Shane Dutton played a big role with 78 points, while Gus Avery led the team in points with 84. “Obviously all the distractions from the last couple of years are gone” said captain Kevin Drake. “We’ve just been able to focus on hockey this year, and it’s been a fun year.”

Meanwhile, 1996-97 was a disappointing year for the defending Eastern Conference champion Quebec Nationale, who struggled to keep pace with the Cosmos and Bulldogs for the 8th and final playoff spot, the Nats had an opportunity to catch Boston for the final playoff spot in their final game of the year against Montreal. Quebec led the game after the first period, but ultimately lost 3-1, eliminating them from playoff contention.

Out West, it was the league’s oldest rookie that was getting all the attention in Dallas. Eight years after being drafted by the Milwaukee Choppers, Syong Li finally made his PHL debut after signing a contract with the injury-riddled Desperadoes. Li, whose parents had fled North Korea in the 1950s, played very well on a line with AJ Vernon and Jeff Jones, finishing second on the team in scoring. Unfortunately, it would only be enough to barely pull Dallas out of last place. “We’ve made some strides this year” said GM Ross Becker. “We’re moving in the right direction.” Chicago was finally unseated as the Western Conference champions in 1997, as the defending Lewis Cup champion Minnesota Lumberjacks took the crown. Jason Crowley continued his strong play from the previous season and from the World Hockey Challenge, while Christian Grayson claimed the Whyte Trophy as the league’s top goaltender. Kansas City also made a push for top spot in the conference, with help coming at the trade deadline in the form of Toronto star Magnus Swedberg. Swedberg played very well with Brett Delaney and Darian Ashmore as the Twisters earned a fourth place finish and home-ice advantage.

The Calgary Wranglers had a season to forget in 1996-97. First, captain Shannon Michaels was lost for the season after sustaining a serious concussion in an October fight with St. Louis tough guy Ryan McCarthy. Only a week later, Sergei Krayev suffered a potentially tragic eye injury. After losing 90 percent of his vision in his right eye, Krayev was finished for the year and his career was in doubt. The incident immediately sparked a debate about the use of visors, with the league desiring to make them mandatory. Krayev vowed to don a visor if he ever returned to the ice, while a few other players around the league also put them on, including LA’s Shawn Kelly, the player whose stick had injured Krayev. The Wranglers’ season was summed up perfectly on March 1 against Seattle when both Zambonis broke down on the same night, delaying the game by an hour. Ultimately, Calgary dropped to 9th place, out of the playoff picture.

Calgary’s loss was Vancouver’s gain, as the Bighorns returned to the playoffs. Off-season acquisition Tory Partridge flourished with his new team, taking advantage of the increase in ice time to score 73 points. Enforcer Cedric Thibault also enjoyed success of his own, setting a new league record for penalty minutes in a single season with 411. Between Thibault, Partridge, tough defensemen AJ Devries and Trevor Kerwick, and veteran Bruce Blackwell, the Bighorns were one of the league’s toughest teams, setting a PHL record for fighting majors by one team. The Bighorns weren’t the only team in the west to return to the post-season. The Winnipeg Pioneers finally reached the playoffs for the first time since 1990. Luke Morrison was spectacular in the net, while Dan Crow led the team in scoring with 82 points. “It’s been a long wait, especially for these fans” said head coach Craig Nelson. “We’ll be ready for LA, we proved this year that we’re better than people think, I think we can surprise some people.”

Standings.thumb.png.90d345e0198297212770f9f3c3a69f14.png

Prior to joining I have lurked reading this league and I have read the evolutions of all the teams, both in this thread and Blogspot (it's a pain how some images in the earlier posts are no longer visible, but the story makes up for them big time that we know what's going on).

Very interesting regular season! Congrats to the Cleveland Cosmos for reaching their first playoff appearance and to the Carolina Raiders for making the playoffs in their first season in North Carolina (I love the emphasis how @Cardsblues02 says "Win over the fans of Carolina!")! Of course, being the 1990s gives us gimmicky logos, but I really love your effort you put into this amazing league and this is no different! In spite of this, it's a shame how some teams had to move from their traditional markets, such as the Nova Scotia Claymores (it's cool and interesting to see a Nova Scotia team in a major league as it's out of the box and the characteristics for the Claymores were a massive tick, and it's been replicated with the New Orleans Sound) and the Ottawa Beavers (who still look to some of their colour roots in Carolina now), but at the same time bringing ice hockey to these areas in this timeline (in our timeline no one would put New Orleans and ice hockey/hockey in the same sentence) is an exciting challenge. Bring on the playoffs!

One of my favourite logos is the 1969 to 1995 LA Wizards logo (that purple, orange and white combination is awesome and the wizard is legendary and I would love to see the Wizards reintroduce it), though the current one is not attractive (well it's the 90s and chose the gimmicks) but it represents the era perfectly - the Los Angeles Wizards identity reminds me of Dumbledore! Another is the Quebec Nationale logo - the Q is perfectly emphasised and to be honest I think it's already legendary that it's synonymous with the team. 

Keep up the spectacular work @hawkfan89! Can't wait for some more spectacular stuff!

Ugh. We only managed to beat out the fricken Sounds. Well at least we should have a good draft pick. Time to draft the next Burns. Oh and go Racers. Win Burnsie another one.

On 8/29/2017 at 4:22 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

Bam! Lets Go! Good to see the Raiders having success right off the bat. Dont know how we will fare against Montreal, but this is definitely a good way to start. Win over the fans of Carolina. Win or lose in this series, still a very successful season. Good to see Dutton is preforming 

Go Raiders!

#SailOn

On 8/29/2017 at 5:01 PM, RightGuard said:

Surprised to see the Raiders were able to make it to the playoffs, though obviously I'll be rooting for KC to win the Lewis Cup. I'm also wondering as to what other teams will designate their alts as their primary uniforms. I kinda miss the Lumberjacks black alt.

I was also a little surprised at how well the Raiders did. I figured they were another year or two away from a playoff spot. The only team that comes to mind as far as potentially promoting their third jersey to full-time status is California. The Nuggets will wear their teal thirds again to start the playoffs this year and could possibly promote them at some point. This is something that will eventually happen more frequently with other teams. I should note that there is probably another full rebrand coming for the Nuggets sometime in the early 2000s.

18 hours ago, CodeG said:

Surprised no ones said anything, but on the graphic it says the Wizards have 2nd seed with only 94 points but Chicago has 3rd with 106. Not sure if that's because they're the division winner or not. Also, i get Denver and Dallas mixed up way to often, it's the biggest jersey contradiction I see, any news on any rebrands or alts that become primaries? Though if I remember right Denver just rebranded and Dallas is the new boys in PHL (minus Carolina) so I guess that's doubtful. Carolina has some of the best uniforms thus far, i would cheer for them but my former Claymores instincts say no, so go Lumberjacks or Northern Lights... maybe the Sounds if they ever do something productive... probably not... (The PHLs Coyotes)

The Wizards got second place because they won the Pacific. Division winners automatically get the top four seeds. As for rebrands, no plans for Dallas or Denver in the near future though I know Denver will eventually return to the classic colour scheme of red and green and probably some variation of the buffalo head. I have already started working on a few new looks for the 2000s. There will be a league-wide change similar to when the NHL switched to RBK Edge sometime in the middle of the decade which will feature a full new template and everything.

9 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

Prior to joining I have lurked reading this league and I have read the evolutions of all the teams, both in this thread and Blogspot (it's a pain how some images in the earlier posts are no longer visible, but the story makes up for them big time that we know what's going on).

Very interesting regular season! Congrats to the Cleveland Cosmos for reaching their first playoff appearance and to the Carolina Raiders for making the playoffs in their first season in North Carolina (I love the emphasis how @Cardsblues02 says "Win over the fans of Carolina!")! Of course, being the 1990s gives us gimmicky logos, but I really love your effort you put into this amazing league and this is no different! In spite of this, it's a shame how some teams had to move from their traditional markets, such as the Nova Scotia Claymores (it's cool and interesting to see a Nova Scotia team in a major league as it's out of the box and the characteristics for the Claymores were a massive tick, and it's been replicated with the New Orleans Sound) and the Ottawa Beavers (who still look to some of their colour roots in Carolina now), but at the same time bringing ice hockey to these areas in this timeline (in our timeline no one would put New Orleans and ice hockey/hockey in the same sentence) is an exciting challenge. Bring on the playoffs!

One of my favourite logos is the 1969 to 1995 LA Wizards logo (that purple, orange and white combination is awesome and the wizard is legendary and I would love to see the Wizards reintroduce it), though the current one is not attractive (well it's the 90s and chose the gimmicks) but it represents the era perfectly - the Los Angeles Wizards identity reminds me of Dumbledore! Another is the Quebec Nationale logo - the Q is perfectly emphasised and to be honest I think it's already legendary that it's synonymous with the team. 

Keep up the spectacular work @hawkfan89! Can't wait for some more spectacular stuff!

Thanks man! I'm glad you've been enjoying the series (and I apologize for the missing graphics, I'm slowly trying to replace them). You'll be happy to hear that the Wizards will eventually return to a modernized version of the classic look, probably sometime in the late 2000s-early 2010s. Also, it's not over yet for Nova Scotia and Ottawa. One or both of those cities will very likely get their team back by the time we reach 2017.

I'm simulating the playoffs now, I hope to have it up tomorrow. I'll be out of town for a wedding all weekend so I really hope I can at least finish the playoffs before I leave but we'll see. Thanks guys!

Wow, congrats to the Raiders! I'd predict an Avalanche-esque Cup win in their first year after relocating, but that... probably isn't happening.

Also, how's Long Island looking? How far are they from returning to the playoffs?

I'm just going to sit back and watch the 'Jacks cruise to their second straight Lewis Cup...

40 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I'm just going to sit back and watch the 'Jacks cruise to their second straight Lewis Cup...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jacks made it back to the Cup. Expect those Raiders to be waiting for them though...

*sighs* Yup, my Chops are in for some pretty hard times going forth...

So for the playoffs, it's LET'S GO COSMOS!

Playoff Predictions:

MIN beats VAN in 5

LA beats WIN in 6

CHI beats EDM in 7

KC beats CAL in 7

NY beats BOS in 4

TOR beats CLE in 5

PIT beats WSH in 6

CAR beats MON in 6

KC beats MIN in 7

CHI beats LA in 6

PIT beats NY in 7

TOR beats CAR in 7

KC beats CHI in 7

TOR beats PIT in 5

KC beats TOR in 7

EDIT: Going full homer, but I feel that this is our year.

14 hours ago, Darknes said:

Is there a Boston Fire sale of players to acquire more picks coming soon?

I think so, especially if they don't make the playoffs next year. In a way, making the playoffs kind of hurt them this year because they wound up hanging on to Craig Bush and Jarri Pukki. Pukki will almost definitely retire after the playoffs and Bush is a UFA, so now they may lose both for nothing. However, there are still a few pieces they can move. Boston will be an interesting team to watch this off-season.

14 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Wow, congrats to the Raiders! I'd predict an Avalanche-esque Cup win in their first year after relocating, but that... probably isn't happening.

Also, how's Long Island looking? How far are they from returning to the playoffs?

The Concordes are looking better, in fact their rating was slighlty higher than a couple of teams that made the playoffs. Ryan Shelton seems like the logical new face of the franchise, once he breaks out the team should be all set.

9 hours ago, MBurmy said:

*sighs* Yup, my Chops are in for some pretty hard times going forth...

So for the playoffs, it's LET'S GO COSMOS!

Yes, unfortunately it looks like we'll be in a new century before Milwaukee makes it again. There is hope though. Brent Zahorsky, Thomas Suchy, and goaltender Matt Darwin all have superstar potential someday, and they'll have a top-five pick this summer too, possibly number one.

Random question: have there ever been any #1 overall picks that have been complete busts? Obviously you have the Applebys and the Ducharmes of the world who transcended the game, but I wonder if anyone just outright failed to live up to their potential.

9 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Random question: have there ever been any #1 overall picks that have been complete busts? Obviously you have the Applebys and the Ducharmes of the world who transcended the game, but I wonder if anyone just outright failed to live up to their potential.

The ones that immediately come to mind are Drew Atwood, selected 1st in the awful 1987 draft, and Kyle Bennett, selected by LA in 1990. Atwood only played parts of four seasons before being released by the Wranglers. Bennett played for the Wizards until 1994, but never had any impact for LA and was released. He signed with Pittsburgh in '94 but played only one season there before being sent to the minors for the 1995-96 season. He is currently in the Stingers' minor league system and unlikely to return to the PHL.

Some more questions...

Have there ever been any infamous own goals in the PHL? For example, one that won the series for a team, similar to Steve Smith and Chris Phillips?

What was the biggest brawl so far in PHL history?

It'll be interesting to see how these playoffs unfold. Hopefully the Raiders give Carolina fans a great experience in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, NoE38 said:

Some more questions...

Have there ever been any infamous own goals in the PHL? For example, one that won the series for a team, similar to Steve Smith and Chris Phillips?

What was the biggest brawl so far in PHL history?

It'll be interesting to see how these playoffs unfold. Hopefully the Raiders give Carolina fans a great experience in the playoffs.

I'd have to go through the narrative to answer the own goal question, I'm sure there was, I just can't remember anything specific. As for the biggest brawl, there were several in the earlier years, especially in the 1970s. There was one in 1973 between Boston and Philly that spilled into the stands and resulted in the cancellation of the game. Another one that comes to mind was in 1970 when Minnesota and Chicago got into a brawl that eventually continued when the teams met in a local bar after the game.

3 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Is there anyway you could give us an updated list of team's minor league cities and their team names? 

Yes, I do have the list and I forgot to post it before. I don't want to post it during the playoffs but I'll put it right in my 1997-98 folder so I'll remember to post it when the playoffs are over. Thanks for the reminder!