hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: New Uniform Template Unveiled

Have the Edmonton Northern Lights looked like they have gone 'EVL'? Nazarenko wouldn't be proud at all! @hawkfan89, love the work and you showed the tackiness of the 2000s in a hilarious way that it's actually very interesting for the story!

The jerseys for Oakland and Milwaukee are really good - the Milwaukee one, the more I look at it, the better it is!

These Quebec uniforms are beautiful - love the work for the Nationale!

11 hours ago, hawkfan89 said:

ptYvHsM.png

Was Reddit born a bit prematurely? For some reason this logo reminds me of Reddit.

The Oakland fans cringe a little at the first sight of the gold, feeling that it might be a little too bold, even for being known as a progressive team when it comes to third jerseys. But they grow to embrace the “look at us, we have something to show” vibe that comes with it. The fans also love the diagonal lettering that ties the peak of 2000s Jersey fashion all together. Or I at least think all this as a fan.... maybe I’m wrong

I like the Nashville vibe coming off the Nuggets

I love both Alts, the new Northern Lights alt logo looks nice too!

To all participants in this thread:

Recently, the moderating team has received notifications of posts being reported in this thread. These reports have been from guests to the forums -- folks who have not signed up for an account, or perhaps are not signed into their accounts at the time -- asking questions about when the OP will be done simulating a season or will post new uniforms.

Let me reiterate: THIS IS NOT WHAT THE REPORT FEATURE IS FOR. The report feature is only meant to be used to bring inappropriate posts to the moderators' attention. Frivolous use is annoying to the moderators, and the comments included with the reports do not reach the OP, so using the feature to ask questions is pointless.

If you're dying to ask the OP questions about this league, sign up for an account -- or, if you already have an account, please ensure you are signed in -- and ask by replying in this thread. 

Some people just need to be patient. Or just get an account. 

20 minutes ago, Jbadger9 said:

Some people just need to be patient. Or just get an account. 

Or a life. 

It's Daniel819, isn't it?

Just wait. We all can be patient.

Let's not cast aspersions as to who it is. Like using the report feature to ask questions about these threads, it's an exercise in futility. All the messages we as moderators get say is "Guest." So there's not much point dwelling on it. Let's move on and patiently await whatever hawksfan89 comes up with next.

19 hours ago, RightGuard said:

It's Daniel919, isn't it?

1.  Fixed that person's name.

2.  It probably was.  A person named "GrayAntibiotics" made two posts on this thread and are now gone.  I looked on that account it said "Banned."  I went to investigate and found this message on the Forum Policies and Anouncements area.  Apparently GrayAntibiotics was a dupe of @Daniel919, and by the looks of his posts, he isn't very knowledgable and can't grammar.  I've only been on here since February, so is there something that he did that nobody liked or something along those lines?  I'm just wondering (PM me the answer.  This thread needs to get back on topic.)

Hopefully Miami can win the next cup.  I'm really rooting for them (not my favorite team however, GO REDSHIRTS!)

Hey guys, I apologize for my absence this week. I've begun simulating the 2002-03 season so that should be ready hopefully late this weekend or early next week. In the meantime, as requested I've done a write-up on how the simulation process works on the blog. I've even shared screenshots of parts of the spreadsheet I use. It may or may not make much sense but hopefully it explains the basics.

https://phlnetwork.blogspot.ca/p/how-it-works.html

What do you use to simulate them?

What happens when we catch up to the modern era? 

I was wondering how do you pick player names? I've worked on multiple fictional leagues for myself, but I just used randomizer.org to simulate and was thinking about doing something similar to how you simulate but I'm not sure how to pick player names. 

Also can you please elaborate what you mean by the Random Occurrence when you simulate? thats the only part about it which I'm confused

On 3/16/2018 at 9:25 PM, waj287 said:

What do you use to simulate them?

The seasons? I use Excel and a dice roller function on this site: https://www.random.org/dice/. I use the same site for other things too, such as the draft lottery.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:42 AM, Scout586 said:

What happens when we catch up to the modern era? 

Most likely I'll simulate seasons in real time, each game at a time. However I've also heard rumors that EA Sports may incorporate some kind of logo upload to the NHL series in the future. It would be pretty cool to actually be able to play PHL games and show screenshots. We'll see what happens.

18 hours ago, CodeG said:

I was wondering how do you pick player names? I've worked on multiple fictional leagues for myself, but I just used randomizer.org to simulate and was thinking about doing something similar to how you simulate but I'm not sure how to pick player names. 

Also can you please elaborate what you mean by the Random Occurrence when you simulate? thats the only part about it which I'm confused

I use a few different random name generators mainly for last names. Typically I pick first names myself based on what names were common during a specific era (like Dave and Bobby for the 60s and 70s, or Chris and Brad for the 90s), though I get ideas from the generators for those as well.

Random occurrences are events during a season that are not expected or "supposed" to happen that can affect how a team fares, such as injuries or perhaps a breakout year for an unlikely player. There is a list with a number next to each event and if I roll that number, there are instructions to either add or subtract wins based on the corresponding event. For example, an injury to a star player means I roll the dice again and subtract the resulting number from the team's wins. A breakout year for a depth player means the opposite. This is what happened for Miami with Eric Moon last year. I rolled a "depth player breakout" that ended up giving the Stingrays 11 extra wins. Who I pick to be that "depth player" for the story is completely my choice and is not random, but I try to make it a realistic pick.

If that thing about EA is true, you should upload the PHL games to a YouTube Channel. I'd subscribe.