hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: New Uniform Template Unveiled

with New Orleans future in jeopardy, is there any chance that they will relocate back to Nova Scotia? Or an expansion, similar to Winnipeg in the NHL

1 hour ago, CodeG said:

with New Orleans future in jeopardy, is there any chance that they will relocate back to Nova Scotia? Or an expansion, similar to Winnipeg in the NHL

Sorry but I don't think they'll go back to Halifax. The market there is too small to support a team. Plus everyone here thinks they'll move to Houston.

1 hour ago, CodeG said:

I could see a situation where the PHL expands into Halifax and another unconventional market (let's say Pheonix). I do love that Claymores identity and it would be a shame if it was let to rot in the dustbin of history.

2 hours ago, CodeG said:

The Claymores are damned to be the Hartford Whalers of this universe im affraid.

54 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I could see a situation where the PHL expands into Halifax and another unconventional market (let's say Pheonix). I do love that Claymores identity and it would be a shame if it was let to rot in the dustbin of history.

What is really a shame is how far the team is from ther original state. The Claymores were not only a good team with a cool identity, they were one of the original teams with a winning tradition. To see them move to New Orleans, I forget they were even the same franchise at times. It really is sad. They should have stayed. Obviously there were arena/financial issues, but it was ridiculous. I can’t think of a state less suitable for hockey than Louisiana.

I hope when Houston gets the team (seems very likely, considering the position the Sound are in) that the team rebrands. Maybe even go back to the classic green and red. I don’t think Nova Scotia will ever get the team back, so no harm done. And evey other team seems pretty stable, so once the Sound move, relocation options will be out. But building a strong brand away from the Sound would be the best option. 

45 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I can’t think of a state less suitable for hockey than Louisiana.

You sure about that?

wayne-gretzky.jpg&w=1100&q=85

Wow, that 2003 offseason was a wild one! I'm happy that the Cosmos got a good defenseman in the draft, but good gravy, did the Sound bungle things up in the front office! Sam Bendt's antics reminded me of those of Robert Culpepper in the AFA somehow, in fact (Although the two leagues exist in different universes, but you get the picture).

Anyway, assuming I didn't misread the offseason post, something tells me that Daryl Byrd's days as PHL Commissioner are numbered for some reason. When Hurricane Katrina comes, my guess is that he'll try and keep the team in New Orleans anyway, and the owners decide to remove him from office. Also, who are some of the hated owners in the PHL, and some of the owners who players and fans actually have respect for? I remember Shamrocks founder Charles Garfield being abrasive, for example, but I was curious as to if there are any modern owners who are controversial and others who are classier.

Sorry if that was a weird question, I was just wondering about that for some time now. Here's hoping the Civics or Cosmos can do something in 2003-04!

I almost feel like what's going on with the Sound in this universe is somewhat like what happened to the Whalers in our universe.  Both the Claymores and Whalers had a rich history and loving fanbase, but they lost their teams because of arena issues.  Then, where they are now they're gaining little support and are on the brink of relocating.

17 hours ago, Red Comet said:

You sure about that?

Hide contents

wayne-gretzky.jpg&w=1100&q=85

you're sure about that? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_Scorpions 

I’m positive. Louisiana is bad... I would think a team in Phoenix or Albuquerque would do much better. 

On 5/5/2018 at 10:01 PM, RightGuard said:

If New Orleans does move to Houston, will they remain in the East? It'd be weird to have two Texas teams play in different conferences.

In all likelihood, yes, they will remain in the east. Houston is not that far from New Orleans and both are in the same time zone. However, Houston would be the first team to move west if necessary. 

On 5/5/2018 at 10:11 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

The Houston Sound would be a interesting 

On 5/6/2018 at 10:43 AM, Cardsblues02 said:

Good news for Houston. Its a matter of when, not if. 

So what are the chances that the team gets rebranded after leaving NOLA. I think the Sound name, and all of its shame, should stay in Louisiana.

I actually have names in mind for either Houston or Ottawa. The Sound name would indeed stay in New Orleans. After all, I wouldn't want a PHL version of the Utah Jazz.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:34 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

He hired the TRAINER AS HEAD COACH?!?!

Goof lord, what drugs was he on? He must have been licking toads to make decisions like that.

Bendt, aside from being extremely unstable right now (more on that in the 03-04 post), is one of those owners who knows almost nothing about the sport yet wants to have a hand in every decision. He made a few irrational moves since acquiring the franchise (such as offering Brad McNair way too much money, the deal that really led to this mess). The summer of 03 was eye-opening for the league.

On 5/7/2018 at 12:40 AM, Scout586 said:

Hey Hawkfan, I was wondering if you could do team info sheets for inactive franchises? Teams like the Windsor Wings, Hamilton Kings, Erie Penguins, original Vancouver Bighorns and Erie Penguins?

I can certainly start that, though it may take some time. It's something I've always wanted to do actually.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:38 PM, Raptorman415 said:

When this reaches present day, will you set up a team uniform history for each team on the blog?

I do have that started already, I just need to finish and update it. I may look at releasing that once the new uniforms are out.

On 5/8/2018 at 2:19 PM, CodeG said:

There's not much chance of a move back to Halifax for the Sound. There is still no new arena in the area. Barrington Arena has undergone some renovations to make it a suitable home for the Can/Am league's Halifax Schooners, but a new PHL franchise would need a new building. However, there are some interested in bringing the league back to Nova Scotia someday so you never know. It could be a while if it happens though.

21 hours ago, BengalSteve said:

Wow, that 2003 offseason was a wild one! I'm happy that the Cosmos got a good defenseman in the draft, but good gravy, did the Sound bungle things up in the front office! Sam Bendt's antics reminded me of those of Robert Culpepper in the AFA somehow, in fact (Although the two leagues exist in different universes, but you get the picture).

Anyway, assuming I didn't misread the offseason post, something tells me that Daryl Byrd's days as PHL Commissioner are numbered for some reason. When Hurricane Katrina comes, my guess is that he'll try and keep the team in New Orleans anyway, and the owners decide to remove him from office. Also, who are some of the hated owners in the PHL, and some of the owners who players and fans actually have respect for? I remember Shamrocks founder Charles Garfield being abrasive, for example, but I was curious as to if there are any modern owners who are controversial and others who are classier.

Sorry if that was a weird question, I was just wondering about that for some time now. Here's hoping the Civics or Cosmos can do something in 2003-04!

Byrd's exit is something I've been working on for a while, I feel like it has to be dramatic or it wouldn't do him justice. He is definitely starting to lose the confidence of the owners. the 2007 labour negotiations could be the breaking point, especially if there's another lockout.

To answer your other question, Garfield and his son who currently owns the team were certainly abrasive at times and not always liked by the league or the other owners, but the Chicago players have always loved playing for them. The Shamrocks have always been a tight-run ship, for example they are one of those "short hair, no facial hair allowed" teams similar to the Yankees and Leafs, but players love to play in Chicago because ownership stands behind their players and they are committed to winning.

As for other owners, some other bad ones would certainly include Bendt, who's behavior in 2003 has alienated him with pretty much the entire hockey world. The Smythe family, Gerald and now his son Donald, have been a pain in the neck for the league since the 1940s. Gerald owned the original Bighorns shortly after WW2 and was largely responsible for starting the rival GHL in the '60s, while Donald has run the current franchise for most of it's history. The Bighorns have been one of the saddest franchises in league history and much of it has to do with the Smythe family treating the franchise as a "status symbol" without actually putting anything into it. John Byford from Washington is one of the more eccentric characters in the league. He is a veteran of both the Korean and Vietnam wars and even spent time as a POW in Korea. He has been known for trying to run his team like a military unit. Like the Shamrocks, the Generals do not allow any long hair or facial hair and were even known for running training camps in the 1970s like basic training.

Frank Wells of St. Louis would rank as one of the top owners. Wells, who is now 82, has always treated his players very well, has poured a lot of himself into the Spirits, and has produced a dynasty. Gil McCarthy in Minnesota is up there too, as the Lumberjacks have been one of the league's model franchises since they began. Jerry Drum in Milwaukee is considered one of the best owners in sports, and even though the Nationale haven't been extremely successful during her tenure, Olivia Poulette, the league's only female owner, is extremely well liked by the fans and players. She is seen as somewhat of a hero after standing up to Darryl Byrd when he tried to move the team in the late 90s.

Byrd sucks, and I say that after the reply about Olivia Poulette. He tried to move Quebec, and successfully moved Ottawa along with Nova Scotia. It is too bad the Beavers and Claymores have been lost in time. I’m sure that really messed up Canadian hockey. Two classic PHL franchises uprooted. The Carolina move has been nothing special and the New Orleans relocation has been an absolute disaster (that might be an understatement). Interesting Byrd never went for the Pioneers. The team sucks on a regular basis. I don’t think I have seen any in depth info on them since their cup run. They are kind of just...there. I forget the even exist most of the time.

Southern Cities that should have a team before New Orleans: Houston, San Antonio, Phoenix, Albuquerque, San Diego, Nashville, OKC, Tampa and, ***k it why not Louisville.

1 hour ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Southern Cities that should have a team before New Orleans: San Antonio, Phoenix, Albuquerque, San Diego, OKC, and, ***k it why not Louisville.

Slow down there buster, New Orleans isn't good, but how would Albuquerque be any better?

Me thinks that Daryl Byrd is supposed to represent another bumbling idiot who keeps putting hockey teams in unnatural locations.

Who could it be? <_<

Always found found it interesting how Quebec and Winnipeg both held on in this universe but were the IRL teams to move.

I think the real reason Winnipeg did not relocate was its arena - in the 1990s their arena (the CanaDome) was depicted to be one of the most attractive in the league (unlike the Jets in OTL). The Pioneers have unfortunately typically struggled but at least they have their share of hardcore and passionate fans in the PHL - ironically their highest ever placing was in the era of no salary cap (in a situation smaller markets would have typically struggled at the expense of say the Civics, Shamrocks, Wizards).

Note: OTL is an acronym for 'our timeline'.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:09 PM, Darknes said:

What about Boston's Ownership?

The Bulldogs are still owned by the family that founded them in 1921, the Walton family. They have always had a reputation as good owners, though the current owner, Don Walton, has faced criticism for playing hardball with key free agents, most recently Scott Rose.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:07 PM, Cardinal said:

Always found found it interesting how Quebec and Winnipeg both held on in this universe but were the IRL teams to move.

On 5/11/2018 at 12:25 AM, Goran The Man said:

I think the real reason Winnipeg did not relocate was its arena - in the 1990s their arena (the CanaDome) was depicted to be one of the most attractive in the league (unlike the Jets in OTL). The Pioneers have unfortunately typically struggled but at least they have their share of hardcore and passionate fans in the PHL - ironically their highest ever placing was in the era of no salary cap (in a situation smaller markets would have typically struggled at the expense of say the Civics, Shamrocks, Wizards).

Note: OTL is an acronym for 'our timeline'.

Looking back I'm not entirely sure why I put the CanaDome in Winnipeg. with the '88 winter games approaching at the time, it would've made more sense for Calgary, who still play in the same arena since 1961. However, that is the reason the Pioneers survived. Despite their on-ice woes, they do have a rabid fanbase, much like the real life Jets. With one of the best arenas in the league, the Pioneers continued to do well at the box office, though it was still difficult in a small market to compete pre-cap.

2003-04 Regular Season

wr4xznp.jpg

8pWHOhF.pngWhen the Boston Bulldogs opened their training camp in September, 2003, captain Scott Rose was conspicuously missing. By the time the season opened on October 10, Rose was still without a new deal. Without him, the Bulldogs did manage to go 5-3-0 in their first eight games when on October 27, a blockbuster trade was announced that rocked the hockey world. Rose was dealt to the Minnesota Lumberjacks in exchange for Brendan Marlo. Marlo had proven to be a budding superstar with the ‘Jacks but was growing unhappy with his role on a deep team. Rose, on the other hand, was looking for a new contract in the $10-12 Million range and Boston was unwilling to part with it. With Marlo’s contract gone, the Lumberjacks had the cap room to sign Rose to a six-year deal at $9 Million/year. Rose agreed to a discount when faced with the very real possibility of winning a Lewis Cup in Minnesota.

It would be Boston, however, who would come out as the big winners in the deal. One of the oddest things about the deal was that both players wore number 2. In Boston, Marlo essentially just wore Rose’s jersey as it retained the “C” as well. ‘Dogs coach Max St. Beaudoin had seen Marlo play plenty of times in the Maritime Junior league and was impressed with his leadership. Marlo led the team in scoring as the Bulldogs led the division for most of the year, until a late-season surge by their arch-rivals, the Philadelphia Redshirts, pushed them into fourth place. The Redshirts were enjoying another strong season as Jared Baxter and Alexei Ivanov formed one of the deadliest duos in the league, combining for 192 points.

Quebec returned to the playoffs, while Montreal, plagued by injuries nearly missed for the first time since 1989. For the second consecutive year, a dramatic playoff race formed in the South Division with three teams chasing the division title and final playoff spot. Throughout the year, Atlanta, Carolina, Miami, and New Orleans all took turns holding down the top spot. The Sound, despite a historically embarrassing off-season, came together to make a strong push for the division lead. 29-year old Kevin Jones, with a lot of help from newly acquired veteran Lamar Jackson, proved to be a surprising success behind the bench, despite no professional coaching experience. However, it would all come crashing down in March of 2004, it was revealed that Sam Bendt, who had been in a rehab facility since September, was broke. The league was forced to take over ownership of the Sound and there was no guarantee the franchise would even survive the remainder of the year without folding. The mandate to GM Bill Draper from the league was to shed salary to keep the team afloat. Since coming over from New York in the summer, Lamar Jackson had handled the entire situation with the Sound with tremendous grace. To thank him, Draper ensured that Jackson went to a contender, sending him to Dallas just days before the trade deadline. The final nail went into the coffin of the Sound’s 2003-04 season on deadline day, March 7, when superstar Brad McNair and his $12 Million salary was dealt to Milwaukee in a blockbuster, three-team deal that saw the Choppers send Peter Lundholm to Atlanta while the Sound received a first-round pick directly from Milwaukee and prospect Alex Andreyev from the Copperheads. In all, New Orleans unloaded $17 Million in payroll, and also knocked themselves out of the playoff race.

The disaster in New Orleans opened up the South Division playoff race considerably. Atlanta, now boosted by the addition of Lundholm, Miami, and Carolina were left gunning for the final spot. It would come down to the Copperheads and Raiders in the final days of the season, when it was Atlanta, when disaster struck, this time in Atlanta. With two games to go in the season, Copperheads’ forward Jason Ferland was arrested on assault charges after an incident at a Miami nightclub. The league suspended Ferland, who was not released from custody until the season ended anyway. The Carolina Raiders won their final two games and clinched a playoff spot for the first time in four years. “In the end, the team with the least amount of drama won out” said writer Bill Wentworth.

There was not quite as much drama in the Western Conference, where the Holiday Classic was played out west for the first time ever as Minnesota took on St. Louis Christmas Day. The game went to overtime where the Lumberjacks won 3-2, but it was the Spirits who created a stir, choosing to wear their classic white uniforms from the dynasty years. The league announced after the game that special retro jerseys would be worn at each Holiday Classic from that point on.

Seattle, generally regarded as the PHL’s deepest team, dominated the league. Former Washington Generals captain Rob Wentzel had taken a huge pay cut to come to Seattle in the hopes of winning a ring, but Wentzel was no passenger, finishing second in Wolves’ scoring. Chicago clinched the Central Division, making it 35 consecutive seasons in the post-season, while Edmonton finally broke out and won the North Division as Kris Nazarenko became the first player in PHL history to begin his career with two straight 50-goal seasons.

The Kansas City Twisters and Dallas Desperados both had all but lost the battle for the Central Division to Chicago when the trade deadline arrived on March 7, but both teams were busy as they continued to battle each other for home ice advantage in what appeared to be an inevitable first-round meeting. Dallas rescued Lamar Jackson from the sinking New Orleans Sound, while Kansas City acquired veteran Shannon Michaels from Calgary. Michaels had served as the Wranglers captain since the early 90s and would be an unrestricted free agent in the summer. The Twisters would ultimately edge out the Desperados for fourth place and home-ice advantage in what promised to be a very entertaining series.

In Milwaukee, the Choppers struggled throughout the year, hovering around .500, until pulling off a huge three-way deal in March where for the price of Peter Lunholm and a first-round pick, the Choppers received Brad McNair from New Orleans. With the horrible situation in Louisiana behind him, McNair exploded for 12 points in the final ten games as the Choppers won nine out of ten to pull away from Winnipeg and secure the final playoff spot. It spelled the end of a very promising season for Dan Crow, Jamie Moore, and a Winnipeg team that had finally shown signs of life for the first time since reaching the Lewis Cup Final in 1999. “It’s disappointing, but I think we’re on the right track” said Crow.

There was also some improvement in Denver and St. Louis, as both teams remained in playoff contention fairly late in the season. Sad news hit St. Louis in February, as long time team owner Frank Wells passed away at 82. Wells was beloved by the Spirits’ players and the fans in St. Louis as he built one of hockey’s all-time greatest dynasties. The Spirits wore a special patch with Wells’ initials on it for the remainder of one of the most eventful seasons in PHL history.  

9y8bu1P.png

Edmonton is back in the playoffs!