hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: New Uniform Template Unveiled

Carolina? Huh, I didn’t think they had much of a shot past round one. But all the way to the conference finals? That should get people in Charlotte interested. Also, crazy first round out west! Wolves down in round 1, didn’t see that coming. 

Also love that Dallas wears their sweet orange alts in the playoffs.

Let's go Bighorns!

God dang it the Raiders were so close to reaching the finals. Well, at least they were able to make it this year, unlike the other Southern teams. Go Bighorns

Congratulations, Redshirts! Five years ago, everyone was rooting for you, and now we all hate you. Go Bighorns.

2004 Lewis Cup Finals

fOzcuyD.pngThe 2004 Lewis Cup Finals began on June 2 in Philadelphia as the Cinderella Bighorns, playing in their first-ever final, faced the heavily favoured Redshirts, playing in the finals for the second time in four years. Game one went to Philadelphia thanks to two goals from Alexei Ivanov. Game two was much closer, as the teams remained deadlocked at 2 until the third period, when Jared Baxter beat Philippe Gagnon with a hard slap shot. Philly took a 2-0 series lead with a 4-2 win.

The series shifted to Vancouver for game three, the first Lewis Cup Finals game ever in the city. The statue of George Vancouver in front of City Hall was dressed in a large Bighorns jersey and an overflow crowd of 18,900 packed into Northwest Air Center. The Bighorns knew they needed a win to stay in the series. The game would go to overtime, where the Redshirts nearly took a 3-0 series lead when Jared Baxter rung a shot off the post. Moments later, Vancouver took a penalty when Tory Partridge was called for roughing. Philadelphia had another chance on the powerplay. But Gagnon stood tall, stopping 12 shots during the powerplay. As Partridge exited the box, defenseman Trevor Kerwick hit him with a pass and sprung him on a breakaway. Partridge beat Pierre Noel to win the game. In game four, Blair Horton was the overtime hero for Vancouver as the Bighorns tied the series.

The pressure was now on the Redshirts heading into game five back in Philly. Captain Jared Baxter, held scoreless in Vancouver, knew he needed to step up if the team was going to close out the series. The Bighorns took a 2-0 lead early, leading coach Clint Allen to pull Noel in favour of backup Steve Christie. Noel, unhappy with being pulled, smashed his stick over the boards and had a few words with Allen before storming off to the dressing room. Meanwhile on the ice, Redshirts pest Alex Leblanc drew a penalty when he yanked Blair Horton’s stick right out of his hands after a whistle. Horton threw a punch at Leblanc and was called for roughing. Leblanc then scored on the powerplay and nodded his head toward Horton as he left the penalty box. An irate Horton once again went after Leblanc while Corey Powell and Tory Partridge squared off as well. Clint Allen even jumped up on the boards a started yelling at the Vancouver bench, calling them “a bunch of thugs”. After handing out several penalties, the officials finally got the game under control. That’s when the Philadelphia captain finally stepped it up. Jared Baxter beat Jonathan Adams to a puck in the crease and jammed it past Gagnon to tie the game. Then, with three minutes remaining in regulation, Baxter scored again as Philly took the lead. The Redshirts held on to take the game and a 3-2 series lead.

With the cup in the building in game six, the big story concerned the Philadelphia net. Pierre Noel had struggled, while Steve Christie had played well. Christie was given the start. Noel made his disappointment with his coach known. “I think I could come back and win this for us but I guess he disagrees” said Noel. “We’ll see what happens I guess.” What happened was a 4-0 rout for a desperate Vancouver team to force game seven. The first time since 1987 and 1988 that the finals would go to seven games in back-to-back years.

Prior to game seven, Clint Allen met with his number one goalie in an attempt to patch things up and to inform him that he would be starting game seven. Allen faced 38 shots as the game went to the third period with no score. Early in the third period, Sean Nowakowski finally broke the tie and gave Philadelphia the lead. The Bighorns scrambled to tie the game but Noel stood tall. Vancouver pulled Gagnon in a last-minute effort to tie the game, but Baxter took the puck the length of the ice and sealed the win with an empty-net goal. The Philly crowd counted down the final seconds as the players poured off the bench. The Redshirts had waited 62 years for their first Lewis Cup, the wait for their second was only three. Jared Baxter was named playoff MVP after an inspired performance.

In Vancouver, the fans handled the loss with grace and class, despite their disappointment. They quietly left the Northwest Air Center, where they had watched on the big screen. Some fans even helped clean up garbage on their way out, while others were seen washing the windows of a police car. “Nobody would’ve blamed those fans if they rioted after the loss” said CBC commentator Graham Helm. “But they showed incredible sportsmanship.”

xEKB2Kf.png

7 minutes ago, hawkfan89 said:

In Vancouver, the fans handled the loss with grace and class, despite their disappointment. They quietly left the Northwest Air Center, where they had watched on the big screen. Some fans even helped clean up garbage on their way out, while others were seen washing the windows of a police car. “Nobody would’ve blamed those fans if they rioted after the loss” said CBC commentator Graham Helm. “But they showed incredible sportsmanship.”

Is this science fiction?

6 minutes ago, RightGuard said:

Is this science fiction?

Haha I couldn't resist. Sorry to any Vancouver fans on here ;)

12 minutes ago, RightGuard said:

Is this science fiction?

It is an alternate timeline. Guessing that Nuggets fans are incredibly classy as well.

On another note, with the new uniform contract coming up this offseason, I'm guessing that teams will wear their dark jerseys as the home jerseys again?

6 minutes ago, hawkfan89 said:

Haha I couldn't resist. Sorry to any Vancouver fans on here ;)

I loved it! 

"while others were seen washing the windows of a police car"...too funny!

I world where Vancouver hockey fans don't riot???!?!?!?! what is this madness

Wow, what a final! Some crazy storylines, from the Philly goalie’s tantrum to Bighorn fans showing class. I’m sure the Northwest Air Center was rocking during their run. Would have been cool to see such a historic franchise win their first Lewis Cup. Maybe next year. Hopefully next year a team from Houston will be in the playoffs (not likely, even when the Sound move, there will be a rebuilding process ahead. Have to redo the team in almost every aspect it seems).

What Canadian city is more likely to get a PHL team, Hamilton or Halifax? 

Shocking that Vancouver fans didn't riot! Glad the Redshirts won though. Also you forgot the "s" in Redshirts in the picture with the finals series.

4 hours ago, Red Comet said:

It is an alternate timeline. Guessing that Nuggets fans are incredibly classy as well.

On another note, with the new uniform contract coming up this offseason, I'm guessing that teams will wear their dark jerseys as the home jerseys again?

That is correct, beginning in the 2005-06 season when the new uniforms make their debut. More details will be revealed in the next post when the new uniform template is revealed. 

3 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Wow, what a final! Some crazy storylines, from the Philly goalie’s tantrum to Bighorn fans showing class. I’m sure the Northwest Air Center was rocking during their run. Would have been cool to see such a historic franchise win their first Lewis Cup. Maybe next year. Hopefully next year a team from Houston will be in the playoffs (not likely, even when the Sound move, there will be a rebuilding process ahead. Have to redo the team in almost every aspect it seems).

What Canadian city is more likely to get a PHL team, Hamilton or Halifax? 

I think there will be a fairly extensive, expansion-like rebuild for that franchise once new owners arrive. As for the two Canadian cities mentioned, Ottawa would probably have a better chance than both, but after that I would say Halifax if they can get a new arena only because the fan base was so rabid and the league may be hesitant to have a team share a market (Southern Ontario) with the Racers.

53 minutes ago, Jbadger9 said:

Shocking that Vancouver fans didn't riot! Glad the Redshirts won though. Also you forgot the "s" in Redshirts in the picture with the finals series.

Fixed it, thanks for the heads up!

To be honest the Vancouver fans in that timeline were finally glad to see their team reach the Lewis Cup Finals after almost 45 seasons of futility (counts the first incarnation of the Bighorns), unlike the Canucks in OTL (who have made the Stanley Cup finals twice in a shorter time span). Bighorns fans in that timeline would just have been content with an appearance.

PHL, Duke Sports Reveal New Uniform System

Beginning in the 2005-06 season, PHL uniforms will never be the same. On July 1, 2004, Duke Sports & Apparel finally revealed their much-anticipated new FitLite hockey uniform, which will see the ice for the first time at the 2005 PHL All-Star Game. The new jerseys will be nearly 50% lighter than what the teams currently wear and also feature a slimmer fit, as well as an elasticized mesh-like material on the sides of the jersey and the underside of the arms to promote a more comfortable and breathable fit. The socks are also made with a more breathable fabric.

kLUQPDN.png

As for the look of the uniforms, the Duke logo will appear just below the collar on the front of each jersey, while the PHL logo will now appear on the back. The league also announced that as of 2005-06 the home and away uniforms will be reversed league-wide, with the home team wearing their team colours and the road team wearing white. A few teams have stated that they will make major changes to their look, some will make more minor changes while most will simply adapt their current designs to the new template. Alternate jerseys will be suspended for one season but will return in 2006-07.

The PHL rOo5XIWq.pngequested that teams refrain from making changes to their uniforms for the 2004-05 season with one exception. In a new league tradition, the teams participating in the 2004 Holiday Classic both unveiled retro uniforms for the event. The host Boston Bulldogs will wear the uniforms they wore during the 1960s and '70s, while the visiting Philadelphia Redshirts will wear their uniforms from the same era, which was seen as the peak of the rivalry between the two clubs.

FVTECjH.png

Holy piping. This is going to be interesting...

And there's obligatory piping, excuse me while I go barf for 30 minutes.

Yeah just to warn you guys there will be some pretty awful uniforms coming next season. Just remember it won't last too long though, the retro trend is right around the corner.

You say that now, but I just KNOW some team is going to keep around the piping for wayyyyyy too long.

My guess is Edmonton gets cold feet about changing anything in the Nazarenko era.