History Of The NAPHL- War Struggles for Toronto

dolphins91

I like the change for Montreal, but I feel the red outline on the away is a little jarring, Love the St. Paul look.

Yeah, I didn't really like the outline either, but for consistency's sake I left it like it was. Glad you like St. Paul too!

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

I like the change for Montreal, but I feel the red outline on the away is a little jarring, Love the St. Paul look.

Yeah, I didn't really like the outline either, but for consistency's sake I left it like it was. Glad you like St. Paul too!
I hope some New England Area teams get into the league! But this is good so far

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

Boston is definitely getting a team, although it will be after 1945 because I have history already made up until then. Along with them will be New York, Philadelphia, and possibly Virginia/DC

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

Boston is definitely getting a team, although it will be after 1945 because I have history already made up until then. Along with them will be New York, Philadelphia, and possibly Virginia/DC
Woo-hoo, I wouldn't mind seeing other cities, like Hartford, Providence or even Montpeiler getting a team.

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

1940-1941

During the offseason, founder of the league, Ralph Walter suffered a stroke and passed away at the age of 73. The teams would all wear patches honoring and the

NAPHL Champions Trophy was OFFICIALLY renamed the Ralph Walter Trophy. (In years past the trophy was officially known as the NAPHL Champions Trophy, and the Ralph Walter Trophy was a nickname.)
The same 7 teams remained to start the new decade. Montreal powered their way to 1st place with a 36-16 record. 2nd place was Halifax coming in at 34-18. 3rd place was St. Paul
who finished 30-22. Michigan was 4th with a 26-26 record. 5th place was Kingston who finished 22-30. Toronto was 6th place with a 15-37 record. Last place was Manitoba
who played horrible all year and as a result finished 10-42. In playoff action, Montreal beat Michigan 7-2 and St. Paul beat Halifax 6-4. Just a couple years into existence,
the St. Paul Eagles now had a spot in the championship game. It was a hard fought contest after 2 periods, the Eagles were tied with the Saints 1-1 until Montreal scored a few minutes into the
period and later added 2 more goals with under 5 minutes left to claim the Ralph Walter Trophy for a 3rd time.
1940-1941 Standings
1. Montreal
2. Halifax
3. St. Paul
4. Michigan
-------------
5. Kingston
6. Toronto
7. Manitoba
Semifinals
------------
Montreal-7
Michigan-2
Halifax-4
St.Paul-6
Championship
--------------
Montreal-4
St. Paul-1
Champion*: Montreal (3)
MVP: LW, Vladimir Bolchetskov
*NAPHL Champions Trophy Renamed Ralph Walter Trophy,
In Memory Of Ralph Passing Away
Uniform Changes
Every team wore a black circular patch with the initials RW to honor the late Ralph Walter.
Halifax%20Harbourmen_zpsocf851qx.png
Montreal%20Saints_zpsmbactsez.png
St.%20Paul%20Eagles_zpsqlvx82ku.png
Michigan%20Blizzards_zpsxvuz35pi.png
Toronto%20Snappers_zpsrshcwsqp.png
Kingston%20Fire_zps1wynap6n.png
The only true change was Manitoba. The team ditched the uniforms that were thrown together at the last minute , they now featured a large owl on the front, never before seen shoulder striping and numbers on the front. These uniforms were definitley unique, especially for their time.
Manitoba%20Owls_zpsvvmyu364.png

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

My only thing with the Owls is that where do the A and C go if they have the numbers there.

Overall though, I love the look.

Hmm... That's a good question. I think I'll just take off the front numbers for now. They might make an appearance again several years from now.

Manitoba%20Owls_zpstlteknjh.png

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

Could they maybe go on the sleeve, or have not them have before moving them where the patch is?

I think I'll just ditch the front numbers, I wasn't sure what I'd think of them at first and looking back I really don't like them. Also, since you brought up the C and A, I will add those to all the future uniforms starting this year.

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

• 2 weeks later...

1941-1942

The 1941-42 season was a rough season for the whole league. At times teams' rosters would be down to less than 10 due to players leaving for war. Teams would have to sign

teens anywhere from 15-18 years old many times in order to keep afloat. The league considered cancelling the season due to lack of players, but the teams didn't want that.
They decided to go ahead with the standard 52 game season in which all but one team survived...Toronto. At one point, the team was down to just 7 men, including the youngest
player in the league, Stuart Harvard at the age of 15. The players were on the ice for almost the whole game, which was a near impossible task to complete. The owner of the
Snappers, Tom Mettle, decided it was best to fold the team after 29 games and with a league worst record of 5-24. Tho Toronto struggled, Michigan thrived. The club finished 1st
with a tremendous record of 34-18. Montreal came 2nd with a 31-21 record, Halifax 3rd at 25-27, Manitoba 4th at 22-30, St. Paul came 5th at 19-33, Kingston was 6th at 15-37, and Toronto last at
5-24. In the playoffs Michigan was stunned. They got knocked out in the first round by the 4 seed Manitoba. Montreal was also stunned, losing to Halifax 9-4. The championship would then
call Halifax home for the 5th time after they beat Manitoba 6-1.
Standings
1. Michigan
2. Montreal
3. Halifax
4. Manitoba
-------------
5. St.Paul
6. Kingston
7. Toronto (Folded in late December)
Semifinals
------------
Michigan-3
Manitoba-5
Montreal-4
Halifax-9
Championship
--------------
Halifax-6
Manitoba-1
Champion: Halifax (5)
MVP: G, Joseph Ontog
Uniform Changes
Each team now had to designate a Captain and Alternate Captain on jerseys.
Halifax: The team would add outlines to everything and the striping became more consitent
Halifax%20Harbourmen_zpshkngwjh0.png
Michigan: The team ditched the black uniforms due to a new rule that stated each team must have a dark and light jersey. They also decided not to have white socks
Michigan%20Blizzards_zpsst5eectq.png

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

I can help come up with some nicknames for when Toronto gets another team if you don't want to stay with Snappers

That'd be great, they'll probably get a team back around 48-50ish so be thinking o some good names.

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived