MLB Rivalry Classics: Pearson Cup: Blue Jays vs Expos

Discrim

Well, it's mid-June, and I'm a man of my word, so the Rivalry Series' spinoff begins. And as I'd told yall I'd do, I kick things off with the two Canadian teams, going back to 94 to do so.

Les Amours...Les Expos...Les Miserables...

exposrivalry.png

I saw a variant of the pinwheel cap with powder blue front panels at Lids.com a while back, and had thought about using a similar cap in a concept for a while, so I made the road cap the way it is. Ultimately, the double sleeve piping is a small nod to the Royals. The only other quirk I could think of including was the contrasting placket with four fleurs-de-lis dotting it.

Blue Jays

bluejaysrivalry.png

Taking coco's suggestion, I based this set off the old baseball Maple Leafs (before anyone nitpicks about it, yes, I know of the current baseball Leafs), and decided to try incorporating the Jays' trademark split into both the script and the T-bars. This will either be a stroke of genius or proof of why you rarely see split scripts. Something I came across in my research before ultimately leaving to the side for now was a sleeve patch the Leafs used, of an old time ballplayer with a mustache that makes Rollie Fingers' handlebars look like stubble, and I figure if I take a normal stab at the Jays, I might find a way to at least evoke that stache.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Amazing! That Leafs-inspired jersey turned out even better than I could have imagined. The split-script was an inspired idea. Beautiful work!

Here's hoping you do the Lone Star Series next!

EDIT: I was thinking, since you're now doing a series of former/defunct MLB rivalries (not counting the Rangers/Astros, I guess), you know what would be a great one to tackle? White Sox-Brewers.

I never knew that I needed to see the Blue Jays with a cursive script until now. By God that looks amazing. I also love the shoulder stripes. I've played with that idea on my own concepts but it really works on the Jays.

Major bonus points for the Expos caps. I love the red stripes on the front panels, just like the old Padres caps. 41-fM%2BnDplL.jpg

I'm not sure if the Blue Jays set has placket piping or not, its unclear. I don't think it needs it so maybe if its there try it with just white/powder plain fronts.

Unis look better than the last time you tried this, but not sure about the Expos' caps. Strange.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Amazing! That Leafs-inspired jersey turned out even better than I could have imagined. The split-script was an inspired idea. Beautiful work!

Here's hoping you do the Lone Star Series next!

EDIT: I was thinking, since you're now doing a series of former/defunct MLB rivalries (not counting the Rangers/Astros, I guess), you know what would be a great one to tackle? White Sox-Brewers.

Thanks, and yeah, the Astros and Rangers are in the works.

Thats good. Real good. I don't have any flaws. I guess just make the blue line in the Toronto script a bit bolder so it doesn't look like a scribble?

Given the marriage of aesthetics I was going for, I'm not sure I could've completely avoided that. Too bold and I may as well have simply gone with a more normal script with an outline. Too thin...actually would've worked had I used the late 90s Blue Jays logos, but then I specifically chose '94, not '97 (awesome Expos or gutted Expos? Hmm, tough choice).

I never knew that I needed to see the Blue Jays with a cursive script until now. By God that looks amazing. I also love the shoulder stripes. I've played with that idea on my own concepts but it really works on the Jays.

Major bonus points for the Expos caps. I love the red stripes on the front panels, just like the old Padres caps.

I'm not sure if the Blue Jays set has placket piping or not, its unclear. I don't think it needs it so maybe if its there try it with just white/powder plain fronts.

In order: thanks, thanks and yes that is placket piping. Given the old Leafs jerseys I based the Jays set on did have it, I felt it best to include it.

Unis look better than the last time you tried this, but not sure about the Expos' caps. Strange.

Given this is one of the rare times I've posted a Blue Jays concept, I'm guessing you remember that powder blue Expos jersey I posted a few years ago (and not fondly). Either that or you hated the Marlins-Rays set. :D I guess the Expos are just that one team I inexplicably suck at conceptwise or something.

Interesting touch with the maple leaf shaped buttons on the Expos. That Jays home jersey is pretty cool too.

Those are fleurs de lis, not maple leafs. What with Montreal being in Quebec and all.

2016cubscreamsig.png

These look really good. I like the cap for Montreal and the scripts for the Jays are amazing.

If you are doing defunct teams what about Brooklyn Dodgers vs. New York Giants and/or Baltimore Orioles vs. Washington Senators?

Can't wait for more!

Acts 16:31 - And they replied: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household."

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."

Orioles-Senators: I don't see myself doing this one, largely because I'd already done Orioles-Nats in the main series.

Giants/Yanks/Bums: I'm undecided on whether I'm gonna do any of em or not tbh. They'll be released as a trio if I do, though, as something of an homage to that one time during WWII that the three teams played against each other in the same game.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived