Titans' LP Field renamed Nissan Stadium

dolphins91

I do long for the days before corporate sponsorship determined the names of venues. I can take a Sporcle quiz on the names of venues from the early part of the 20th century to 2000 and get most or all of them right. Change it to 2000 to present and I'll do well to get half correct. We've lost something in all this. I'm glad the Bengals haven't went along with this trend.

Nissan Titan will definitely have a lot of marketing tie-ins. Though naming it Nissan Titan Stadium might have been good.

As for the park/field/stadium/etc argument. I agree, Park/Ballpark is just for baseball. Field is generally a baseball term. Stadium/dome is generally a football term (though there were a lot of multi-use stadiums or domes, the Edward Jones Dome, Superdome, Georgia Dome, and RCA Dome were all football only; while the King Dome, Metrodome, and Astrodome were multi-use). Field in Football is Soldier, Lambeau, Heinz, Invesco(changed, but don't feel like looking up), and Everbank.

Only odd ball for outdoor fields is Coliseum, currently only used now in Oakland and should have been reused (i.e., never done away with) for Nashville. For small venues, other than Arena or Center/Centrre, the other oddballs were Forums and a Pavillion. And, let's not forget, the oddest name: the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, now the Honda Center.

Nissan Stadium sounds ... meh.

Why not Nissan Field? Rolls off the tongue better than Stadium.

When I see "field" (or "park"), I think baseball. When I see "stadium", I think football. There are reasonable exceptions, of course, such as Soldier Field, Lambeau Field, and Yankee Stadium, but Soldier and Lambeau were originally somewhat "flat" in their design, so the emphasis was still on the "field" when viewing the venue as a whole. It's hard for me to think of these modern towering structures as "fields", although I suppose the term is appropriate if you're only referring to the playing surface. But who really refers to the playing surface when talking about these large outdoor venues?

Yeah, FedExField for the 'skins only kind of works due to the alliteration. also, it's kind of a lousy stadium to catch a football game at.

When I see "field" (or "park"), I think baseball. When I see "stadium", I think football. There are reasonable exceptions, of course, such as Soldier Field, Lambeau Field, and Yankee Stadium, but Soldier and Lambeau were originally somewhat "flat" in their design, so the emphasis was still on the "field" when viewing the venue as a whole. It's hard for me to think of these modern towering structures as "fields", although I suppose the term is appropriate if you're only referring to the playing surface. But who really refers to the playing surface when talking about these large outdoor venues?

Yeah, FedExField for the 'skins only kind of works due to the alliteration. also, it's kind of a lousy stadium to catch a football game at.

That's why Snyder wants to get rid of it. They want to buy the land RFK sits on when DCU moves out. The whole naming thing is preventing that.

He wants a dome stadium so that he can host a SuperBowl.

I hated to see Adelphia Coliseum go (never really thought of the Philadelphia twirl to it) because that was the original name and now all others seem fake. But I understand there was zero choice in the matter and naming rights still had to be sold again to finance a facility of this size. Eventually I did get used to LP Field although I fail to understand why this facility isn't called Coliseum regardless of who sponsors it. This is the Titans, they should play in a Coliseum. As for the logos which is the point of this site, not bad I suppose. If this would have been the name from the start it might actually look pretty decent.

Off topic: Don't like off topic posts but I've got to ask this: How in the world has the city of Nashville been able to keep this stadium basic without the Titans & NFL demanding huge overhauls like a roof or expansion? I know it's only been around since 99, but it seems like it lags behind the rest of the NFL already, similiar to the Ed Dome minus the roof.

There have always been people drawing up renderings of what a Parthenon roof would look like over Soldier Field. I think it would be perfect for this stadium, especially since there is an actual Parthenon replica in Nashville. Wikipedia (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Parthenon,_Nashville.JPG)

Save the existing facility, put huge greek columns on the sides, and then add a roof with a triangle top. Fill in the sides with glassed in expansions.

I like what TimEOBrien drew up for Soldier Field here on SportsLogos...

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/88991-soldier-field-concept/

Man, I forgot all about what a clinical beatdown Mings laid upon Time O'Brien. "Of course it looks bad, I'm not even finished yet!", the last resort of the asskicked.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

FedEx field: the only stadium that sounds better than it actually is.

Off topic: Don't like off topic posts but I've got to ask this: How in the world has the city of Nashville been able to keep this stadium basic without the Titans & NFL demanding huge overhauls like a roof or expansion? I know it's only been around since 99, but it seems like it lags behind the rest of the NFL already, similiar to the Ed Dome minus the roof.

The NFL and more importantly the individual team owners care way more about the number and quality of the suites rather than aesthetics and fancy roofs. There isn't much a need for a roof in Nashville. The Trans World Edward Jones Dome's biggest flaw is the lack of suites it offers. It was built by St. Louis to attract a team so it got built without any bells and whistles while Tennessee's stadium was built because the Titans were coming to town so they had a lot of say in what they wanted in a stadium and by then it became clear that more money can be made with suites than by just cramming fans in.

Archived