Teams Most Needing a Rebrand

tnagraffix

This can go on all sports, but right now in the NBA I have to say the Rockets, Jazz, and Thunder are the worst by far.

Jazz just needs to go back to one of these two beauties:

mountain-ak.jpg

x610-12-307x416.jpg

I see some people are talking about the Caps. I know their not bringing back the gold but I think it's odd that they introduce a Winter Classic uniform that's TOTALLY different from their current set, and the don't capitalize on it at all. They're even bringing back their old red jersey.

ALSO add to the list:

Dolphins

Buccaneers

I'd say 49ers but they really only need to drop their black jersey and get a red facemask IMO, so not really a dire need.

Those Jazz unis are all terrible. The current is the best they've ever worn.

I agree. Being a Jazz homer, I have to agree. This set is the best we've worn, especially the road blues. The only gripe I have is I wish the numbers weren't so generic and they swapped the gold and blue on the side panels of the green jerseys.

I just hope the Jazz stick with some color combo.

I don't mean to be that guy, but Nike is going to start making NBA uniforms in the near future. They'll probably come up with something everyone will hate.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHL rebrand:

Ducks: If you are going to go with the duck name, put a little effort into a duck logo. Many good concepts have been made with the full body of a duck.

Hurricanes: might necessitate a name change. ditch the "toilet bowl swurl". have yet to see a good logo for them that doesn't look too "minor league"

Lightning: went from childish amateurish to overly minimalist with shades of a superhero logo. don't even get me started on the 3rd.

Capitals: almost never impressed with wordmark logos. previous eagle was to "u.s. mail" for some, try a different eagle. for a third go all out - think New York Americans of the 1920's or 1976 Canada Cup U.S. jersey for inspiration.

Blue Jackets: if you are going for a historical based name the look of their primaries is not the way to go. reworking the 3rd might work; not completely sold on the cannon, not sold at all on the circular aspect of the crest.

Some others just need some minor changes to their current or need to look to their past for inspiration (or just go back).

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

As much as I loved the Titans unis and logos in 1999, I wouldn't mind a complete overhaul with a new color scheme... my gut tells me they won't find the right balance reworking the same colors into a new uniform, so many things worked just so with the original '99 set... something with more of a dark Roman feel with blacks, browns, golds, or tans could be awesome

As much as I loved the Titans unis and logos in 1999, I wouldn't mind a complete overhaul with a new color scheme... my gut tells me they won't find the right balance reworking the same colors into a new uniform, so many things worked just so with the original '99 set... something with more of a dark Roman feel with blacks, browns, golds, or tans could be awesome

Could go with Praetorian colors of deep purple and gold.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Could go with Praetorian colors of deep purple and gold.

I think the reason they didn't do that was to avoid confusion with the Ravens

Ottawa Senators are in desperate need of a re-brand. Pre 2007, they were one of the best looking teams in spite of having mismatched uniforms. The refresh during the edge switchover is a debacle they still haven't recovered from. The logos, fonts and uniforms were all huge downgrades and its time to finally correct these mistakes.

I think the Jags need to pick a helmet color and then that fixes their unis, Tampa Bay need to fix their alarm clock numbers and then they're fine.

Full rebrands?

The Tennessee Titans are the only team I really don't care for. Carolina's look is a little dated so maybe something updated there would be nice.

In the MLB, I would like to see the Tampa Bay Rays do more with the fauxback look. The Colorado Rockies look dated but I don't know how you'd fix them.

The NBA: The Rockets, Sacramento Kings, LA Clippers and Oklahoma City Thunder desperately need complete rebrands. I'm not a fan of the Bucks new set so they need a redo, Memphis could use some tweaking and let's toss the Orlando Magic in there too. It'd be nice if the Wizards would stop faking like they're not the second coming of the Bullets but whatever.

In the NHL, the Bolts need to use black a little more and for god's sake update the 3rds so they aren't (edited) LA Kings East. That said I want the Kings to go back to purple and gold. Purple is underused in the NHL (not used at all?) and they could really own it. Anaheim could use a rebrand. Quad City is a great example of how to Duck. And I really hate the Avalanche entire set. Burgundy and Blue? What the heck is that even.

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

In the NHL, the Bolts need to use black a little more and for god's sake update the 3rds so they are LA Kings East. That said I want the Kings to go back to purple and gold. Purple is underused in the NHL (not used at all?) and they could really own it. Anaheim could use a rebrand. Quad City is a great example of how to Duck. And I really hate the Avalanche entire set. Burgundy and Blue? What the heck is that even.

As much as I would like to see at least one team using purple, I don't want it to be the Kings (again). They didn't even really have that much of an identity when they used purple and gold because there was (and still is) another team in their city that looked exactly like them. At least with black and silver, they have their own identity.

In the NHL, the Bolts need to use black a little more and for god's sake update the 3rds so they are LA Kings East. That said I want the Kings to go back to purple and gold. Purple is underused in the NHL (not used at all?) and they could really own it. Anaheim could use a rebrand. Quad City is a great example of how to Duck. And I really hate the Avalanche entire set. Burgundy and Blue? What the heck is that even.

As much as I would like to see at least one team using purple, I don't want it to be the Kings (again). They didn't even really have that much of an identity when they used purple and gold because there was (and still is) another team in their city that looked exactly like them. At least with black and silver, they have their own identity.

By that logic the Pittsburgh Penguins/Steelers/Pirates are screwed.

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Not really. The Pirates and Steelers picked the colour scheme independently because they're Pittsburgh's civic colours. The Penguins hopped on the bandwagon after the Steelers and Pirates rocketed to the top of the sports world with their successes in 70s, but made the colour scheme their own with two consecutive Stanley Cups. Each team was successful in Pittsburgh black and gold. Which helped each team "claim" the scheme for themselves.

The Kings, on the other hand, were only gold and purple because they were owned by the same guy who owned the Lakers. The Lakers saw a lot of success in the colour scheme, but the Kings didn't. They were among the NHL's most irrelevant teams for most of their history in the colour scheme. Then Gretzky showed up, the team switched black and silver, and became the talk of the NHL. They made it to a Stanley Cup Finals in the colour scheme. Their return to that scheme, after years of mediocrity/basement dwelling in purple, black, and silver, saw them win two Stanley Cups in three years.

The Kings in purple are an afterthought. The Kings in black and silver are three time Conference Champions and two time Stanley Cup Champions. It's clear that the Kings belong in black and silver.

Not really. The Pirates and Steelers picked the colour scheme independently because they're Pittsburgh's civic colours. The Penguins hopped on the bandwagon after the Steelers and Pirates rocketed to the top of the sports world with their successes in 70s, but made the colour scheme their own with two consecutive Stanley Cups. Each team was successful in Pittsburgh black and gold. Which helped each team "claim" the scheme for themselves.

The Kings, on the other hand, were only gold and purple because they were owned by the same guy who owned the Lakers. The Lakers saw a lot of success in the colour scheme, but the Kings didn't. They were among the NHL's most irrelevant teams for most of their history in the colour scheme. Then Gretzky showed up, the team switched black and silver, and became the talk of the NHL. They made it to a Stanley Cup Finals in the colour scheme. Their return to that scheme, after years of mediocrity/basement dwelling in purple, black, and silver, saw them win two Stanley Cups in three years.

The Kings in purple are an afterthought. The Kings in black and silver are three time Conference Champions and two time Stanley Cup Champions. It's clear that the Kings belong in black and silver.

When I try to apply this logic to the Buccaneers and the Mavericks I get crucified.

I still think Purple and Gold looks better than Black and Silver, recent success be damned.

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

When I try to apply this logic to the Buccaneers and the Mavericks I get crucified.

I'm sorry. Wasn't me though. So...yeah.

I still think Purple and Gold looks better than Black and Silver, recent success be damned.

My main argument against major changes after a run of success is that you never really know when you're going to win it all again. So you run the risk of looking like a completely different team compared to what you looked like when the franchise was at its highest point. The Kings missed the playoffs this past season. They're getting older. In an increasingly competitive Western Conference. What if the window's closing? You switch to gold and purple and suddenly you've spent millions to rebrand everything LA Kings related, on a look that could potentially be tied to the downward slope of the team's greatest peak.

The current black and silver look though? It'll always be associated with two Cups in three years.

I know this is all ultimately subjective. Just trying to explain my reasoning behind why teams shouldn't tinker too much with a look they've seen a lot of success in.

I'm remember that someone said the Suns need a re brand. I agree. The suns need to drop black (the sun is bright, not dark) they also need to bring back purple into their logos as well as their uniforms.

Archived