PHOENIX SUNS REBRAND (2nd Attempt) by Crowncorvus

SplashBoogie

A few months ago I did a Phoenix Suns rebrand concept. Over the course of the last twelve or so hours I refined the concept, created some new logos and uniforms and built a template to go with any logo design I do moving forward. So onward to my rebrand proposal for the Phoenix Suns

tumblr_nqz1ysacVz1rb8m1do4_1280.png

As with last time the Primary logo is a basketball on sunburst. The sun is a giant ball of nuclear energy. That cannot be contained so putting it in a box like Phoenix's current primary seems ridiculous. Purple was a requested add from the last thread and it finds itself on the basketball and lettering to add weight. The orange used is more red than previous to help distinguish from the gold.

tumblr_nqz1ysacVz1rb8m1do1_1280.png
tumblr_nqz1ysacVz1rb8m1do2_1280.png

The last go around the secondary and partial logos were just the primary more and more stripped down. This go round we actually have different marks. The S-Sun will go on the short legs of the uniforms while the PHX-Sun goes on the back of the waistband.
tumblr_nqz1ysacVz1rb8m1do5_1280.png
The new Script logo I think is my biggest improvement from the previous mark. It was originally much more simple (just Phoenix as written with Suns in Orange with no outline with the Sunball over the O in Phoenix) but I happened on the idea for a thicker outline and spoked edges while designing the jersey wordmarks and carried it back over to the script logo.

Uniform designs and wordmarks will go up later but here's the main logo sets for my Suns redesign? How do we feel?

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

This is a big improvement. I can't wait to see what you do on the unis, should be interesting.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I think you're off to a decent start here...just some tweaking, and you're definitely on to something.

- The seams of the ball have been mentioned, and I'll echo that. I'd also take a look at the sun itself and the spacing between the rays. Some have no space, some you can see the circle. I'd make the spacing a little more consistent, while still using different-sized rays.

- On all of these, I think the ball/sun could be integrated a little better. In most cases, I think just adding a purple outline to tie them in would make a difference, and I'm not sure it's necessary at all on the script. It looks like an afterthought on that one.

- Looking at your previous concept, the ones that are really striking are the black & white versions (linked below). Try starting with the white logo, making the ball darker orange, then the rays lighter orange. I'd leave the letters white, but use some sort of purple sun-shape or maybe just a roundel to contain everything.

tumblr_nobaqutaQE1rb8m1do6_540.png

I think you're off to a decent start here...just some tweaking, and you're definitely on to something.

- The seams of the ball have been mentioned, and I'll echo that. I'd also take a look at the sun itself and the spacing between the rays. Some have no space, some you can see the circle. I'd make the spacing a little more consistent, while still using different-sized rays.

- On all of these, I think the ball/sun could be integrated a little better. In most cases, I think just adding a purple outline to tie them in would make a difference, and I'm not sure it's necessary at all on the script. It looks like an afterthought on that one.

- Looking at your previous concept, the ones that are really striking are the black & white versions (linked below). Try starting with the white logo, making the ball darker orange, then the rays lighter orange. I'd leave the letters white, but use some sort of purple sun-shape or maybe just a roundel to contain everything.

tumblr_nobaqutaQE1rb8m1do6_540.png

-Seams needing work is noted. I'll continue with what I've got up now and tweak that for the final brand pages. Same with the burst points. The roundel should only be visible in the long sparks between P-S and X-S. Good catch I missed that.

-The ball and sun was added on to the Script logo to create a visual tie to the secondary logo but when I put it on the S in the same spot the fact that the Sun angles don't match the script spike angle was jarring. I do see where you are coming from, check the wordmarks on the upcoming unis and see if you still feel the same.

-The original plan was to use much more Orange/Gold combos and really emphasize the Sun concept (the white negative space touching gold intending to create a "blinding light" kind of effect). However the more I looked through Suns history for inspiration, purple is too integral to be reduced to a third color so purple got up in for the circle and basketball. A full on roundel is too contained for what I'm going for. For the size of the logo and the burst, it makes the logo feel heavy to me personal which is why I'm going for the more open implied roundel with the lettering.

Thanks for the C&C

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Thanks everyone for the interest and notes. We're going to go ahead and move on with the second half which is wordmarks and the uniform set. (The numbers on the concept pages will skip around because of how I ordered this booklet. I'll post the missing pages don't worry)

tumblr_nqz1ysacVz1rb8m1do6_1280.png
tumblr_nqz1ysacVz1rb8m1do7_1280.pngtumblr_nqz1ysacVz1rb8m1do8_1280.png
The word marks come straight off the script logos with color tweaking for appropriate jersey background. Truth be told I really wanted the alternate to be gold to wear at home for color-on-color matches, but if the Mavericks come into town I think Orange vs Blue would look good too.

And now for the uniforms.
tumblr_nqz22eA8oV1rb8m1do3_1280.png

tumblr_nqz22eA8oV1rb8m1do4_1280.png
tumblr_nqz22eA8oV1rb8m1do5_1280.png

I wanted to strike a balance between the bold streaking sun logo of the Barkley era and the present day uniforms. The result I hope is a uniform that while bold is something that could be worn by fans and players for years to come. As with the present and classic uniforms the streaks stop at the arm holes. The S-Sun makes an appearance on the shorts with the third logo going on the waistband and a modified primary logo just above the NOB.

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

My only thing is that the home script doesn't have any purple in it, except for the little rays coming from the basketball. If you made the letters purple instead of white, I think that'd look better.

spacer.png

My only thing is that the home script doesn't have any purple in it, except for the little rays coming from the basketball. If you made the letters purple instead of white, I think that'd look better.

I second this. Also, I would shrink the player names and replace the black in the alt with purple. You use black nowhere else in the concept, and there is no purple (the dominant color of the team) on that jersey. It's the same problem as their current jerseys.

I second this. Also, I would shrink the player names and replace the black in the alt with purple. You use black nowhere else in the concept, and there is no purple (the dominant color of the team) on that jersey. It's the same problem as their current jerseys.

Thanks for the points. I'll create concepts with the suggestions in mind but first a little insight from where I was coming from and then when the new unis post we can go from there.

1st Home Uni: As mentioned in an earlier, I wanted to used white/touching gold to create a blinding light style effect with the orange around it to help with visibility. The second reasoning behind the lack of purple will help answer the question of use of black on the alt

2nd Use of Black on the Alt: Yeah the black seemingly comes from nowhere but that comes from two things. One is a belief that alts can use colors in the team history that's not necessarily in the other sets or logo (Mavs green alt is the first justification that comes to mind, I think the Clips had a baby blue alt before they lost their minds this offseason logowise too) So I pulled black from there, but I understand if it feels like it comes from left field. The second reason for the use of black is a personal thing. I don't really like how purple looks on orange (odd given how great I think orange works on purple). Even the wordmark on the alt only works for me because the white/gold is such as strong contrast from the purple that the outline only serves to contain the wording for visibility.

Now the easiest way to fix that is with an inevitable sleeved black alt (which I will create) but I really want to use orange for potential color v. color.

That said: adjusted home and alt uniforms will go up later today and we'll give it a go.

Thanks for the interest everyone!

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

I think a different, more modern font would look better, and I know it looks cool, but every teams alternate jersey doesn't need to be their third color.white or purple with a different side paneling or wordmark is just as good, like the rockets or celtics alt Jerseys.

SB%2001%2003%2004%2015_zpsuc4ldp3t.pngNBA%20All_zpsgzk5pipt.pngSC%2029%2039%2041%2070%2072%2011_zpspiuwWS%2003%2012%2015%2016%2018%2004%2007%20

Sorry for the off day, but I'm back with three new uniforms.

Okay two mods, and one new uniform but onwards!

tumblr_nr5kv5mb1q1rb8m1do1_1280.png

As promised a home uniform redone with the Suns written in purple. Simple tweak and I still like the white fill a little more but I can't deny this looks good.

tumblr_nr5kv5mb1q1rb8m1do3_1280.png

The updated orange alt has removed all black and replaced it more or less with purple. Because of the striping convention I have with the uniforms (both stripes and numbers should all be three different colors) I opted for white numbers instead of purple because as previously said, not a fan of purple on orange.

"But then why did you use purple for NOB?" Also for consistency: Numbers and NOB are different colors and each jersey as well.

tumblr_nr5kv5mb1q1rb8m1do2_1280.png

And finally the inevitable black alt, though I don't think this qualifies for BFBS. Minimal purple use here because the purple on black didn't stand out enough without outlining (as seen on the wordmark, and is why the shorts go with the orange S-Sun)

Miscellaneous logo uses and theoretical promotional concepts will go up next but how do we like the updated uniforms?

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Is there a reason why the shorts have the odd yellow area going up the inseam area? Is that just a stripe going down the inside of the shorts legs?

You know I colored it in because I liked how it looked on the template but practically I have no idea how that would actually look. I honestly did not catch that. Can't give you much of an answer there.

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Archived