CFL to Back Canadian Soccer League

kw11333

Should look at what the A-League did in Australia after the mess the NSL was.

Maybe 8 teams in the West and 8 teams in the East would cut down travel?

You’ve gotta find 8 cities in the West capable of hosting teams, though. You have Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Victoria, I guess, but you’ve gotta squeeze out four more in such a scenario.

Realistically, both FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury should make the switch; it’ll serve to be lesser travel costs for each, while they shouldn’t much be bothered at the gate.

6fQjS3M.png

Youve gotta find 8 cities in the West capable of hosting teams, though. You have Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Victoria, I guess, but youve gotta squeeze out four more in such a scenario.

Realistically, both FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury should make the switch; itll serve to be lesser travel costs for each, while they shouldnt much be bothered at the gate.

Regina and Saskatoon? Or if not maybe just do one in Saskatchewan.

Youve gotta find 8 cities in the West capable of hosting teams, though. You have Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Victoria, I guess, but youve gotta squeeze out four more in such a scenario.

Realistically, both FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury should make the switch; itll serve to be lesser travel costs for each, while they shouldnt much be bothered at the gate.

I mean I guess. Saskatoon has, like, a metro population of 300k. That’s like putting a team in Utica, New York, and expecting it to work.

Maybe it could, but I’d be skeptical of them drawing four digits.

(Then again, Victoria ain’t that much bigger, but at least they have some level of soccer history.)

6fQjS3M.png

I mean I guess. Saskatoon has, like, a metro population of 300k. That’s like putting a team in Utica, New York, and expecting it to work.

Maybe it could, but I’d be skeptical of them drawing four digits.

(Then again, Victoria ain’t that much bigger, but at least they have some level of soccer history.)

Could you not try to tap into Tacoma or Spokane in the US?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

It would kind of defeat the purpose of having a Canadian league....

Yep. I don't see why you need eight teams in the east and eight in the west anyway. Sure, that would make travel easier. It's not worth it if it means sticking teams in markets that won't work long-term.

It would kind of defeat the purpose of having a Canadian league....

Yep. I don't see why you need eight teams in the east and eight in the west anyway. Sure, that would make travel easier. It's not worth it if it means sticking teams in markets that won't work long-term.

6 and 6 wouldn't be out of the question, especially in the east.

Why does it have to be split? Put all the teams in one table.

Because people need things to be in tidy little packets. Especially in an 8-10 team league.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Because people Americans & Canadians need things to be in tidy little packets. Especially in an 8-10 team league.

Most places outside of the US & Canada would put teams in a 8-10 team league in one table.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Because people Americans & Canadians need things to be in tidy little packets. Especially in an 8-10 team league.

Most places outside of the US & Canada would put teams in a 8-10 team league in one table.

Most places outside of the US and Canada are the size of/smaller than individual states or provinces. That might also have something to do with it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't see how size matters. With a handful of teams, balancing geographic alignment is always going to be messy. Why even try, when you're still going to end up with a tight knit East and a spread out West?

One table, two games (split home and away) against every team, four team playoff. Simple.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Anchorage? Do you realize the travel they'd have to do?

The closest of the other cities is Edmonton--which is about 1939.3 miles (I checked)

Tacoma-which was also suggested is about 822 miles from Edmonton.

From Anchorage to Halifax is about 4925 miles.

So while distance shouldn't be the be all & end all, Anchorage is fine for fantasy leagues, but not realistic for this one if it takes off.

If you need an even split then have a team in Thunder Bay & in the west.

Or something like that--or a northern US state team from a state below western Canada

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived