Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings II: California Soccer League

TheGiantsFan

This is just a simple (by my standards of you) but great concept! I think the road map really makes the away kit look good but I'm not sure about the white dots/oranges on the home.

And who doesn't love In-n-Out?!

This is too easy. Richard Nixon was born in Orange County of course!

Thank you! I was originally considering doing a sash with all the "oranges" for the home, but I guess I wanted to carry over the circle motif onto the jersey, so that's how it came up.

In-N-Out is awesome while Nixon probably isn't to most Americans.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Gold Country Division

Battle Born SC

Carson City, Nevada

Founded: 1991

Championships: 0

19836218596_027c9cedc6_c.jpg

While there are three Nevada teams in the CSL, Battle Born (Nevada is the "Battle Born State" due to its statehood during the Civil War) sticks out because its identity is inspired by that of the State of Nevada, as Carson City is its capital. The crest shape and the "banner" at the bottom are inspired by elements of the historic variants of the Nevada flag, with the bighorn sheep, the state animal, taken from 1984-2001 Nevada license plates. The colors are navy blue, seen on the flag, and fifty two shades of gray, representing the "Silver State", another one of Nevada's state nicknames.

The home kit is a fairly modern design, with an angled shape representing Nevada's border with California, light gray stripes going across horizontally, and the crest over where Carson City would be in a map of Nevada. The clash kit is a much simpler white jersey with a bighorn's horn across the center. The kits are supplied by Under Armour and the sponsor is the Nevada Commission on Tourism.

~ Daryl

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The away kit! Oh my lord that is amazing! I love the home kit as well... I just love everything about this concept, mainly because of the two shades of grey you used (this is the second FSoG reference you've made in your concepts haha)

Greg LeMond, of course

Fear the future, envy the past

The away kit! Oh my lord that is amazing! I love the home kit as well... I just love everything about this concept, mainly because of the two shades of grey you used (this is the second FSoG reference you've made in your concepts haha)

Greg LeMond, of course

Thank you! I was originally planning to do a ripoff of Dunaire for the clash kit, but then I noticed the little notch at the tip of the horn, so that became the clash kit. And "Fifty Shades of Gray" are pretty easy, considering solely the title. Haha...

And it certainly is Greg LeMond!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bay Area Division

Oaktown SC

Oakland, California

Founded: 1970

19965070191_f9cd508a4a_c.jpg

Oaktown (a popular nickname for Oakland) is one of the seven founding teams in the California Soccer League, albeit the least successful (in terms of championships) of the original seven. The soccer team shares the yellow-and-green color scheme with not only the Oakland A's baseball team, but also the Oakland city flag! As for the crest, it's a very simple circular logo featuring an oak and "Oaktown SC" on top.

The home kit is a very simple, predominantly-yellow jersey and shorts with green trim and NOB. The clash kit plays on the shape of oak leaves on a green jersey. The kits are supplied by Adidas and the sponsor is Kaiser Permanente, a hospital system headquartered in Oakland.

~ Daryl

G-EAZY

I mean I have really nothing to complain about, everything is great. This is another one of your concepts that is so simple that it's great, which corresponds to all of your crazy concepts. Love it!

G-EAZY

I mean I have really nothing to complain about, everything is great. This is another one of your concepts that is so simple that it's great, which corresponds to all of your crazy concepts. Love it!

Oh man, nothing seems hard for you concerning these names! :P

And I'm glad you liked Oaktown! :)

The last two clashes have been stellar. Great job

Thank you! :)

The away kit is brilliant for Oaktown, those two kits make for a great set. Nice to see another series of hand-drawn soccer kits!

I wanted a green clash kit for Oakland, and so I turned to the unique shape of the oak leaf.

And I'm glad you're liking Oaktown as well as the rest of this series! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Freeway Division

Maritime Long Beach

Long Beach, California

Founded: 1982

19526885734_2c6fdb31cb_c.jpg

The city of Long Beach, in the LA metro area, is known for its major shipping port, as well as being the permanent dock for the Queen Mary ocean liner. The shape of the crest's shield is inspired by the shape you would see if you were directly in front of a large container ship. Inside the shield is an anchor (which ended up fitting snugly into the bottom of the shield) and two nautical flags that spell out "LB", for Long Beach. The "Maritime" part of the team name was suggested by rykochristie, albeit for the inland port city of Stockton rather than for Long Beach.

The home kit is a simple blue-and-white kit with the "LB" nautical flags on both of the shoulders. The clash kit is a predominantly-white kit with the other colors coming from the nautical flags; a shipping container motif is seen in the middle of the jersey. The kits are supplied by Puma and the sponsor is Epson, a Japanese company whose American division is based in Long Beach.

~ Daryl

Maritime Long Beach has a beautiful crest. I like the kits too. You resisted the temptation to go overboard with the nautical flags and found a good place for them on the shoulder. Also, your patterns on the kits for Battle Born are very clever. Keep it up!

Sticking with rappers I see? Snoop Dogg it is! I am quite an American culture buff!

Very clean and classy look, I like! Thanks for using my suggestion :)

They're not all gonna be rappers, though! :P

Maritime Long Beach sounded really cool as a name; glad you liked the team look as well! :)

Maritime Long Beach has a beautiful crest. I like the kits too. You resisted the temptation to go overboard with the nautical flags and found a good place for them on the shoulder. Also, your patterns on the kits for Battle Born are very clever. Keep it up!

I wanted to give Long Beach a kinda British look for the crest, and so that's how I ended up with that one. As for the kits, I was actually considering putting them on the sides of the home kit, but the way the [piping?] was made it better to just put it on the sleeves.

Both the state of Nevada and the bighorn does lead to some pretty interesting shapes. :P

Glad you're liking 'em! :)

Battle Born SC. That's an interesting idea for a team in Nevada. It's cool that you used the state's motto.

It was too cool to not use, honestly! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Gold Country Division

Capital City SC

Sacramento, California

Founded: 1970

Championships: 2

19641930323_e4953957a3_c.jpg

Sacramento was one of the founding teams of the California Soccer League when it began in 1970. The team went a decade with the "SC Sacramento" moniker until renaming in the 80s to a name that reflects the city's status as the capital of the Golden State. Originally, I had no clue how to tackle Capital City, until I remembered these wayfinding signs I saw throughout downtown Sacramento during the times I've visited there. The crest is pretty much that, with a stylized State Capitol building included. Blue (in this case navy blue) and yellow are colors commonly associated with the state of California.

The home kit consists of a simple yellow band going across a navy jersey; I moved the stripe to line up with the shoulders to avoid being a complete ripoff of the Boca Juniors home kit (I did put Nike as the sponsor for Capital City, just like Boca). The clash kit is a simple white-and-red kit based on the flag of California. The kits are supplied by Nike and the sponsor is Golden 1 Credit Union (who also has the naming rights to the new, under-construction Sacramento Kings arena).

~ Daryl

I love everything about it. The crest is clean and looks like it'd belong to a very successful team. The home kit is definitely Boca Juniors-esque and I like it a lot, and who can say no to gradients????? The sponsor is also very well executed.

Gov. Edmund Brown, correct?

I love everything about it. The crest is clean and looks like it'd belong to a very successful team. The home kit is definitely Boca Juniors-esque and I like it a lot, and who can say no to gradients????? The sponsor is also very well executed.

Gov. Edmund Brown, correct?

Glad you liked everything about Sacramento, my friend! :)

And yes, it is Governor Brown, except that everyone here calls him "Jerry" instead of "Edmund". :P

That's a nice jersey for Sacramento.

Thank you, glad you liked it! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Redwood Division

Del Norte Crescents

Crescent City, California

Founded: 1987

20108769009_bbc1aa6f6e_c.jpg

The name represents both Del Norte County as well as the city of Crescent City, both located on the northernmost reaches of the California coast. The logo itself is a simple letter logo, which is actually stylized to be both a "D" and a lowercase "N" for the county; the city is represented in the crescent shape of the curved part of the letter. The colors are what you would see on a moonlit sky.

The home kit is a simple black/yellow/white kit, with the black that follows the piping stylized like a crescent. The clash kit incorporates on a gray jersey a Yurok blanket design I saw while surfing the Internet. The kits are supplied by Under Armour and the sponsor is the Yurok Native Americans, who live along this north coast of California.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Concerning one of the teams I plan on doing in the near future, I need y'all's opinion: what would y'all like to see in a Hollywood soccer team? Any suggestions and feedback will be considered. :)

~ Daryl

This is probably my favorite concept in this series so far. I have no complaints. Both kits are well executed and look great!

This is "journalist" Derrick Jensen I believe

I'd love to see Hollywood FC! I'd suggest pink and gold (extravagant colors for such a city), stars, and the HOLLYWOOD sign font for the concept

This is probably my favorite concept in this series so far. I have no complaints. Both kits are well executed and look great!

This is "journalist" Derrick Jensen I believe

I'd love to see Hollywood FC! I'd suggest pink and gold (extravagant colors for such a city), stars, and the HOLLYWOOD sign font for the concept

Thank you! :) And it is Derrick Jensen!

I could probably use your suggested pink and gold for Hollywood, but my only problem is Las Vegas, where I also have a team. I'll try to work with something with those colors and maybe Art Deco, though. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Central Division

Salinas CF

Salinas, California

Founded: 1980

Championships: 1

20140977268_264e5877ef_c.jpg

Salinas (my hometown) has a majority Hispanic population, with a large portion of these people being of Mexican descent. To honor that, I gave Salinas the Spanish team name of the Salinas Club de Futbol. Furthermore, the red-green-white color scheme represent both Mexican colors and the strawberry fields that surround the city. The crest style is inspired this Spanish-style Denver Broncos crest by the folks from Football as Football.

The home kit incorporates the green hoops from the crest (which represent the rows of agricultural fields) with red trim. The clash kit uses three clusters of lines (8 lines on the left, 3 lines on the middle, and 1 on the right) to represent the 831 area code, which I notice people here take a lot of pride in. The kits are supplied by Adidas and the sponsor is the produce company Taylor Farms, based in Salinas.

~ Daryl

Wow I love the Mexican colors with a strawberry shade of red! It's cool to see how your knowledge of the state makes the concepts more realistic and more unique. Sometimes I have to remind myself that you're not making everything up anymore.

Archived