Oldschoolvikings' NHL concepts - Ducks added, trying out more weird colors

oldschoolvikings

Hope you're not forgetting the Blues, of course.  How would they look with design touches perhaps influenced by both the MLB Cards and NFL Cards at least as of the time that the latter team was still in St. Louis as well, whatever they might be?  Just wondering, that's all.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

I must say, you've really been on a roll with this latest batch of NHL concepts!

Penguins: The updated version would be my ideal modernized Penguins. Incorporating grey effectively (through both the striping and shading in the logo), while promoting yellow to the home sweater color (differentiating them more from the Bruins), produces a solid look.

Canucks: I like what you've done with the template, and the color distribution is fantastic. However, I think using the full bodied-version of Johnny Canuck would really put it over the top. The Orca and the "Johnny Canuck head + v", while both fine logos, just don't do it for me. I'd also recommend adding green outlines to the numbers on the white sweater.

Capitals: This is a fantastic modernization of their classic set with the current logos. I'm not a fan of the script logo, but you've managed to make it look good. I second the critiques that the Weagle on the third sweater doesn't need the roundel backing it. I'd also be curious to see what the red and white sweaters would look like with the Weagle as the primary crest.

Seals: You've managed to make the crest look halfway decent, and your uniform templates effectively balance the kelly/yellow/royal color scheme (something I thought couldn't be done). I can't really think of any way to improve it. Nice work!

North Stars: Thank you for not including black, instead using that lovely dark kelly green as a primary color. Your striping pattern beautifully balances green, yellow, and white (no white yoke is also a good touch), and the drop shadow on the numbers (in a font that resembles the crest, which I like) is handled in a far better manner than the actual North Stars' uniforms. I think it might be my favorite North Stars concept I've seen here.

All in all, I look forward to more of your handiwork.

8 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I must say, you've really been on a roll with this latest batch of NHL concepts!

Penguins: The updated version would be my ideal modernized Penguins. Incorporating grey effectively (through both the striping and shading in the logo), while promoting yellow to the home sweater color (differentiating them more from the Bruins), produces a solid look.

Canucks: I like what you've done with the template, and the color distribution is fantastic. However, I think using the full bodied-version of Johnny Canuck would really put it over the top. The Orca and the "Johnny Canuck head + v", while both fine logos, just don't do it for me. I'd also recommend adding green outlines to the numbers on the white sweater.

Capitals: This is a fantastic modernization of their classic set with the current logos. I'm not a fan of the script logo, but you've managed to make it look good. I second the critiques that the Weagle on the third sweater doesn't need the roundel backing it. I'd also be curious to see what the red and white sweaters would look like with the Weagle as the primary crest.

Seals: You've managed to make the crest look halfway decent, and your uniform templates effectively balance the kelly/yellow/royal color scheme (something I thought couldn't be done). I can't really think of any way to improve it. Nice work!

North Stars: Thank you for not including black, instead using that lovely dark kelly green as a primary color. Your striping pattern beautifully balances green, yellow, and white (no white yoke is also a good touch), and the drop shadow on the numbers (in a font that resembles the crest, which I like) is handled in a far better manner than the actual North Stars' uniforms. I think it might be my favorite North Stars concept I've seen here.

All in all, I look forward to more of your handiwork.

Wow, thank you for the awesome feedback... I really appreciate it. I'm enjoying making these but sometimes it feels a bit like I'm just doing it for myself so it's nice to hear someone is checking 

I'll give the full body Johnnie a shot, but without the double blue orca logo I don't know if I even need the navy blue... incorporating the navy of the logo onto the uniform was the main idea.

And you're in good company with not liking the roundel behind the Weagle... universally disliked idea, I guess.  My thought was to try to find someway to fill the dome shape with white... you know, like the actual building. But obviously the circle was too much.  Back to the drawing board.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

On 2/17/2017 at 10:57 PM, jujubeans said:

Weagel does not need a roundel.

On 2/17/2017 at 11:00 PM, Bruins said:

Seconded

On 2/18/2017 at 11:32 AM, EJaws said:

Thirded

21 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I second the critiques that the Weagle on the third sweater doesn't need the roundel backing it.

Ok.  I surrender.

captl_zps53u85cbh.png

• Like 8

On 2/23/2017 at 11:40 PM, SFGiants58 said:

OK... I went with your idea on the full body Johnny... and I gotta say, I think you were right.  This is pretty nice.

vanc2_zpsfn3qwwcg.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

The color block numbers don't work. I think it might work with sublimation but I'd just scrap that idea since the uniform had so much going on otherwise

That was literally the last thing I came up with for that.  I'm just in an anti-double-outline mood for numbers these days, and I thought it was a clever way to get all three colors onto the numbers and still keep a single outline.

I guess that's why we call them concepts.:D

LA looks good. It's an outside-of-the-box look. I want the purple to return, and I would be fine if the Kings wore these. For the original concept, I would like the color block numbers if they were sublimated. I would be a unique look for them and compliment the logo nicely.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

So, I've always hated the Nashville Predators' logo.  I just think it's embarrassingly amateurish.   It's kind of a cross between a Hanna-Barbara funny animal and an 80's heavy metal logo. So, I've avoided doing a concept for them, because I didn't want to use that logo, but I couldn't really think of a replacement.  Then, while putting together a lecture (on cave painting, for an Art Appreciation class, strangely enough) I came across this image;

27foot650.jpg 

It's a fossilized footprint from a Saber Tooth Tiger, apparently.  So I decided to work with that and came up with this;

nash_zpsxpsc3uv4.png

(I kept the goofy cartoon cat as a shoulder patch, but I could get talked out of it.)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The logo is really unique (and I don't mean that in an underhandedly bad way), but it needs to be cleaned up a bit. The shape is just too unorthodox right now and doesn't really look like a paw. I think if you made the blue middle of it extend a little higher, towards the claws, and minimized the tufts and made them follow the angles more, that would improve it immensely. The jerseys look pretty good, but the colors scream Sabres to me. I would eliminate silver altogether on the uniforms and replace it with white, or at least decrease the amount of silver used. You've got something with the logo idea, just have to make some adjustments.

• Like 1

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Here are my thoughts:

- The pawprint idea is a good one, but no one recognizes what a sabretooth cat's paw looks like. Without knowing about their current logo, it just looks like an oddly shaped bear paw.

- The jerseys are nice, but seeing as how Nashville has built a good identity around yellow, I think that should be the color for the dark jersey. Blue just doesn't seem like their color anymore.

- Lastly, I think there's too much of an emphasis on gray. It works well as an accent color, but unless you're the LA Kings, you won't be able to pull it off as a primary color.

This whole series has been pretty good, though. Just a few tweaks here and there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So, I've always hated the Nashville Predators' logo.  I just think it's embarrassingly amateurish.   It's kind of a cross between a Hanna-Barbara funny animal and an 80's heavy metal logo. So, I've avoided doing a concept for them, because I didn't want to use that logo, but I couldn't really think of a replacement.  Then, while putting together a lecture (on cave painting, for an Art Appreciation class, strangely enough) I came across this image;

27foot650.jpg 

It's a fossilized footprint from a Saber Tooth Tiger, apparently.  So I decided to work with that and came up with this;

nash_zpsxpsc3uv4.png

(I kept the goofy cartoon cat as a shoulder patch, but I could get talked out of it.)

I hate the Predators logo as well, but I do not think that this logo is any better. At this point the Preds should rebrand, sonce their name is already pretty terrible

AwvgSX4.png

12 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Here are my thoughts:

- The pawprint idea is a good one, but no one recognizes what a sabretooth cat's paw looks like. Without knowing about their current logo, it just looks like an oddly shaped bear paw.

- The jerseys are nice, but seeing as how Nashville has built a good identity around yellow, I think that should be the color for the dark jersey. Blue just doesn't seem like their color anymore.

- Lastly, I think there's too much of an emphasis on gray. It works well as an accent color, but unless you're the LA Kings, you won't be able to pull it off as a primary color.

This whole series has been pretty good, though. Just a few tweaks here and there.

12 hours ago, Bruins said:

The logo is really unique (and I don't mean that in an underhandedly bad way), but it needs to be cleaned up a bit. The shape is just too unorthodox right now and doesn't really look like a paw. I think if you made the blue middle of it extend a little higher, towards the claws, and minimized the tufts and made them follow the angles more, that would improve it immensely. The jerseys look pretty good, but the colors scream Sabres to me. I would eliminate silver altogether on the uniforms and replace it with white, or at least decrease the amount of silver used. You've got something with the logo idea, just have to make some adjustments.

12 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Thanks, guys, for the feedback.  Good points all around, especially on the colors' similarity to Buffalo's.  I hadn't really caught that because in my mind, the Sabres are a royal blue team to me (or at least, should be!), but now that you've mentioned it, I can't get it out of my head. I'll think I rework it to emphasize gold, and probably drop the GFGS.

As for the logo... again, good points.  I knew all along that the footprint wouldn't be recognized as a sabre tooth tiger foot by anyone (who isn't a paleontologist, I guess) but  I figured, since their team name is "Predators", not "Sabre tooth" I could get away with it.  I think it does look like the print of some type of predator, and the sabre tooth connection to Nashville is inside knowledge anyway.  Still, it could definitely get some reworking, I was just enamored with what I thought was the clever introduction of the Tennessee flag stars.

OK... back to the drawing board.  Please check back in for the update and let me know what you think.