2016 MLB All Star Game logo

The SHOW

I always liked the '78 unis. In spite of that, my reasoning for wanting them is the expansive use of yellow in the uniform. While I prefer the '69 uniform in brown, its yellow is very minimal so doing that uni in blue/yellow wouldn't be much different than many other clubs. If they are going to keep the blue, I think the yellow has to be used expansively to give it their own identity.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gotta say, watching the Padres wear the brown and orange throwbacks this year is actually making me lean towards them being a navy team. I don't care if it's with sand or yellow or even the orange but seeing the brown in action is awkwardly making me appreciate the navy more.

I think the Padres are more of a navy team than we really care to admit.

Am I the only one who thinks Brown is just a terrible color that doesn't go well with anything? As far as a history stand point the Padres have worn Navy for a longer time than they have brown. No one seems to be complaining that the Bucs wear Pewter even though historically they started off with the Creamsicles...

As a baseball fan living in a city across the country from San Diego, I would wear the crap out of brown/gold Padres cap... but there are several teams with navy caps that I would wear before a navy Padres cap.

I think brown is a gorgeous color that needs to be used in very specific combinations to really work. It is deep and rich, and should be paired with one bold, bright color for maximum contrast. I think it works far better with gold than orange.

And not to mention the fact that the only other Big 4 team to wear brown as their primary color also pairs it with orange. Brown and gold is by far the best combo for the Padres.

I really like the possible navy/gold/gray color scheme from the All Star Game logo. It's unique in MLB and I prefer it over brown/gold. I just personally think brown is ugly as a color scheme for a sports franchise. The colors for a team are used all over the place. Website, billboards, t shirts. I wear the occasional brown article of clothing, but I don't overdo it with the color. I just can't imagine a brown jacket, for example, being a huge seller after the novelty of it wearing off.

Plus, has anyone mentioned how badly the navy blue that is ALL OVER Petco park clashes with brown. It would be a very intensive and expensive effort to change the color of the wall padding, seats, and everything....and to what, green? No thanks. And I really don't want to see how crummy a navy blue dominated park looks with a brown identity.

I really like the possible navy/gold/gray color scheme from the All Star Game logo. It's unique in MLB and I prefer it over brown/gold. I just personally think brown is ugly as a color scheme for a sports franchise. The colors for a team are used all over the place. Website, billboards, t shirts. I wear the occasional brown article of clothing, but I don't overdo it with the color. I just can't imagine a brown jacket, for example, being a huge seller after the novelty of it wearing off.

Plus, has anyone mentioned how badly the navy blue that is ALL OVER Petco park clashes with brown. It would be a very intensive and expensive effort to change the color of the wall padding, seats, and everything....and to what, green? No thanks. And I really don't want to see how crummy a navy blue dominated park looks with a brown identity.

The Park issue is one of the reasons I vehemently oppose brown for the Pads. I like that the stadium and team more or less match as it's a classy touch and it fits in with the rest of the gaslamp area to boot. When they've worn brown throwbacks the clash between stadium and team is just jarring and screams 80's to me when teams and venues had no sense of symmetry.

Union Tribune article on the brown. For those who don't think San Diegans want the brown just look at the headline

"Want fans back? Bring back the brown"

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2014/sep/19/padres-mlb-brown-gwynn-uniforms/

Yeah because a biased piece by the local rag is a gauge of anything (particularly as the rag was bordering on tabloid at the time under the Manchester ownership regime). Sorry to be snarky but the UT has seen a steep decline in quality in the last couple of years.

That said I'm sure there is some call for brown among some fans, but part of me wonders if it's really a call for brown or is it a call for something that's just not the current bland that they have. The Bring Back The Brown didn't really seem to get any kind of kick off until the team went to the current blue and nothing uniforms a few years ago and the people he interviewed all seem to take that view that they just want something not bland. I'd wager a good chunk of the BBTB has less to do with liking brown and more to do with simply wanting something that's not the bland, no accent color set, they have today. It will be interesting to see how much call there is for brown after they relaunch blue with the gold next year.

As long as the Padres continue to use Navy Blue, they will not have a unique look. Too many teams in MLB wear some shade of blue. The Navy and Gold look is already sported by the Brewers. I understand the arguments to not wear brown but I think the Padres need brown. They have no identity now and even with adding yellow, which is great news, will still be a blue team, like the majority of MLB teams. The Padres are one of those few teams that has an opportunity and a history to go along with it to have a completely unique identity. It drives me crazy that they still refuse to bring back brown. The Padres need to bring back the brown and own it as their look.

Brown and navy don't clash.. That's why you wear brown shoes and belt with a navy suit

I really think the Padres could live in both worlds with a rebrand back to brown.. They could have a standard "modern" home white/road grey look that is essentially their current set, only replacing navy with brown, and adding the gold appropriately.. Then have an alt set that would basically be a fauxback, incorporating much more gold, possibly some orange trim, and be more of a departure from their current look.. Use that scheme for a season or two to gauge reactions and either settle on that look or promote the alt to primary to "complete" the rebrand.

As far as I'm concerned, the Mariners and Brewers really missed their opportunity on being baseball's "blue and gold" team. I'm saying that because I really think baseball needs a blue and gold team and it seems that the Padres are willing to go that route.

The mariners colors suit them and their region much better and the navy/beer suits the brewers and their branding nicely.. I agree that blue/gold is an obvious necessity in any league, but none of these 3 teams (Padres included) should be it.. Padres and Rays probably make the most sense currently though. If any expansion teams join, that'd fix the issue

For me, it's the Brewers. I don't love Seattle's scheme, but it's unique and it's "theirs". They have the majority of their seasons (and success) in that. I'd like the Brewers to embrace it and the Padres to, yes, embrace brown.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived