2016 MLB All Star Game logo

The SHOW

If they are indeed changing the color scheme up next year, I hope they keep the camo jerseys he way they are (one of the few camo jerseys I actually like). I don't want to see anything like this on a professional stage....

9%20WINNING%20PITCHER%20SEAN%20CARLEY.jp

Is that Kenny Powers?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they are indeed changing the color scheme up next year, I hope they keep the camo jerseys the way they are (one of the few camo jerseys I actually like). I don't want to see anything like this on a professional stage....

9%20WINNING%20PITCHER%20SEAN%20CARLEY.jp

With what environment does that actually camouflage?

I wonder when they'll tease their 2017 re-brand.

What would make you say that? The Pads have actually stuck with uniforms for an average of 7 years since the late 70's. They will stick with whatever 2016 goes with for until at least 2020.

This will be the Padres third rebranding since 2004 but it's worth noting that they haven't been arbitrary changes. They did it in 2004 to coincide with the opening of Petco Park and to start a fresh era of Padres baseball (or some such PR nonsense). Then they changed again in 2012 after Jeff Moorad bought the team and they're changing again in 2016 because of yet another new ownership group. It's fair to assume that this new group is in it for a while so it's also fair to assume that this jersey should last a while as well.

Why does a change in ownership require an identity change?

It doesn't necessarily. When John Moores took over the team remained in the same uniforms for a decade until they moved into Petco Park. But in this case it is needed. When Moorad took over temporarily during his aborted attempt to buy the team he removed the sand and left the team with no secondary color... and one is desperately needed. Moores didn't rectify it when he took the team back temporarily before selling to the current ownership. So this addition of yellow is just rectifying a mistake that Moorad made several years ago and doing so in a way that makes the team look better and more unique in the process. And it's a scheme they can stick with long term.

Bring back the sand/khaki/whatever. Seriously.

Because people weren't bitching about that scheme constantly...

Frankly I'm glad they're trying something new that is more unique than the sand and blue were. And it's something that can "pop" too.

Double blue and yellow... unique?

Depending on the amount of yellow and light blue I'd say yes. I always wondered why no MLB had gave navy and yellow/gold a shot. If your post was about the fact that the Rays "theoretically" feature yellow and light blue than forget about it. They should have used these two colors way more from the start but dropped the ball wanting to look like the division rival everyone's rooting for in the Bay area... If the friars use a lot of yellow/gold than it will be very unique and most probably beautiful.

Double blue and yellow or just blue and yellow in general should be TB Rays colors. I'll never really be happy with the Padres until brown is brought back. Don't care if it's with orange,yellow or sand/khaki. Brown is a unique color that can be beautiful if done right. The Padres have a history with that color and should use it IMO.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

The Rays could and should use a brighter yellow (not quite "volt", but close to the bright "maize" Michigan has used over recent years) as opposed to a more classic athletic gold type of yellow.. It would really highlight the sunlight imagery they're going for while acting as an accent to the darker navy and lighter less-bright sky blue

Depending on the amount of yellow and light blue I'd say yes. I always wondered why no MLB had gave navy and yellow/gold a shot. If your post was about the fact that the Rays "theoretically" feature yellow and light blue than forget about it. They should have used these two colors way more from the start but dropped the ball wanting to look like the division rival everyone's rooting for in the Bay area... If the friars use a lot of yellow/gold than it will be very unique and most probably beautiful.

I thought there was something wrong with my browser seeing this over-and-over...

Anyway, I tend to agree that if the Padres used enough yellow, they'd be as unique as they've been since they dropped the brown. The Mariners used to be blue and yellow but they've found their look. The Brewers are the team that should really do this. But they won't so the Padres will own it.

This could look good.

But really, they need to go back to brown.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Double blue? According to the release the Padres colors would be Navy and Yellow. No double blue there...

And yes it would be unique, especially if the Rays continue their current trend away from it.

And no brown isn't coming back no matter how much the minority clamors for it. If the Pads proved one thing during their 22 years wearing it, it's that brown is VERY easy to screw up. It's just not a good color. They've had much better luck with good looking uniforms during their 47 (25 NL, 22 PCL) years wearing navy blue even if the current uniforms are bland (due in no small part to their lack of a secondary color which yellow will correct).

As one who is a die hard brown fan, I could at least accept something along these lines. If they want to keep the overused navy color, at least bring back a big punch of the yellow to give it life. (forgive the mismatched SD logos)

padresnavyyellow2016.jpg

I could live with that. Those are very nice jerseys. Bringing the golden yellow back would be a huge step in the right direction. I really hope the Padres go back to using brown because brown is such an underused color in sports and I have always thought the Padres looked great in brown. Correct me if I am wrong but in the Big 5 leagues in North America, (NHL, NFL, NBA, MLS, MLB) the Cleveland Browns are the only team that uses brown regularly. I think we could use another team or two in brown on a regular basis.

As one who is a die hard brown fan, I could at least accept something along these lines. If they want to keep the overused navy color, at least bring back a big punch of the yellow to give it life. (forgive the mismatched SD logos)

padresnavyyellow2016.jpg

I could live with that. Those are very nice jerseys. Bringing the golden yellow back would be a huge step in the right direction. I really hope the Padres go back to using brown because brown is such an underused color in sports and I have always thought the Padres looked great in brown. Correct me if I am wrong but in the Big 5 leagues in North America, (NHL, NFL, NBA, MLS, MLB) the Cleveland Browns are the only team that uses brown regularly. I think we could use another team or two in brown on a regular basis.
I agree. And that little bit of brown accents the navy and yellow really well.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

padresnavyyellow2016.jpg

I agree. And that little bit of brown accents the navy and yellow really well.

I would buy that navy/golden yellow cap in a heartbeat.

Those jerseys are one of the worst parts of the brown and yellow era. Going blue and yellow with pajama tops would be a huge disappointment.

Because blue and yellow has been ditched in MLB (and almost ditched in sports entirely), this would be a welcome color scheme (dispute my dying hopes for brown). But I'd much rather see them go with a more traditional uniform; see Astros, Houston. The Astros had the opportunity to go to something loud from the 1970s. They made the right choice.

That hat is pretty nice though. While I really, really want brown, this definitely has potential to look good.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived