2016 MLB All Star Game logo

The SHOW

Unprecedented in MLB but what about the Bullets in the NBA? I'd hate for the Padres name to go away but an argument could be made that the name is insensitive to the Native people who were oppressed by the friars. In our overly PC world I'm actually shocked that hasn't already happened.

Probably for several reason, first and foremost the team's name has been Padres since the beginning in the PCL. Second, it's not necessarily racially insensitive to the native populations per their own admission (I mean hell, several bands of local Kumeyaay, Luiseno and Mission Indians actively sponsor the Padres). Plus think of the large Latino population who were spread initially through Alta California by those very same Friars. Whose millions of descendants still call California and San Diego home. Not to mention the city itself was founded by those very same Friars. Did their presence sometimes have negative consequences for some of the natives, absolutely, but there were plenty of positives as well not the least of which was the existence of San Diego itself.

Oh, believe me, I think it's a perfect name for a team in San Diego. But all it takes is one little complaint to start the ball rolling and then its out of control. I hope it never comes but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the next name to be targeted.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all it takes is one little complaint to start the ball rolling and then its out of control.

No, it really doesn't.

Overreaction to PC is as bad a PC itself.

I'd disagree completely. Everything that creates a major change starts small and then gains traction and becomes a huge deal. That's how it works.

In the Padre name case, the things that could possibly be lightning rods are:

- Religion (why are we glamorizing Catholic priests?)

- Mistreatment of Native Peoples (sure the team has support in those communities now but we've seen how fast that can change)

I'd say those are 2 very real issues that could explode easily. I'm not saying they will or should. I'm only saying that I wouldn't be surprised if it started, caught traction, and forced the team to re-think its identity.

all it takes is one little complaint to start the ball rolling and then its out of control.

No, it really doesn't.

I'd disagree completely. Everything that creates a major change starts small and then gains traction and becomes a huge deal. That's how it works.

- Mistreatment of Native Peoples (sure the team has support in those communities now but we've seen how fast that can change)

I'd say those are 2 very real issues that could explode easily. I'm not saying they will or should. I'm only saying that I wouldn't be surprised if it started, caught traction, and forced the team to re-think its identity.

What's wrong with Catholic priests? I mean the name doesn't really glamorize them. If anything the Catholic priests would more likely be insulted than anything else. Assuming any 18th century priests ever showed up to be insulted.

And like I said, mistreatment of native peoples is hard to argue when those same people's have no issue with the name and sponsor the team. This isn't the Redskins or Chief Wahoo after all. No one has ever raised an issue with the name in over 70 years unlike other potential target names like Braves, Chiefs, Indians and Redskins.

No, it really doesn't.

More likely it will be "patriotic" people saying "this is are (sic) country speak English" and feeling threatened by the Spanish word. We would not label it "PC" but it would be the same principle.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

No, it really doesn't.

I do wonder if ownership is sensitive to these type of complaints and if that's why they've never really explored the possibilities that the name has to offer. Mission bells would be very easy to incorporate in a logo or even in stadium design but, outside of the 35th anniversary logo, they've never gone in that direction. And it's that refusal to embrace the easy iconography that's attached to the name that makes me think that the Padres should just change it. No one's going to hammer management if it's San Diego Pandas wearing blue and yellow.

No, it really doesn't.

What's wrong with Catholic priests? I mean the name doesn't really glamorize them. If anything the Catholic priests would more likely be insulted than anything else. Assuming any 18th century priests ever showed up to be insulted.

Nothing is wrong with Catholic priests. I am a proud Catholic who is good friends with my parish priest. My point is that many in society today like to bash priests due to the various scandals over the past decades. And, they want to distance themselves from the Church. Not completely fair but still a reality of society today. Again, I hope it never happens (people being offended by the Padres name) but it isn't something that would be unbelievable.

No, it really doesn't.

I do wonder if ownership is sensitive to these type of complaints and if that's why they've never really explored the possibilities that the name has to offer. Mission bells would be very easy to incorporate in a logo or even in stadium design but, outside of the 35th anniversary logo, they've never gone in that direction. And it's that refusal to embrace the easy iconography that's attached to the name that makes me think that the Padres should just change it. No one's going to hammer management if it's San Diego Pandas wearing blue and yellow.

I have wondered the same thing, that maybe the Padres management and/or MLB itself, is just uncomfortable going all-in, and building the Padres identity around Spanish friars, and the Missions they founded.

It is probably just easier to kind of dabble in that identity, while reminding everyone that San Diego has ocean, beaches, sunshine and the military.

You've obviously never been to a Padres game. They ring a Mission Bell to start every game at Petco Park, and ring it for every out in the 9th inning. Their social media similarly often uses the Mission Bell when expressing game progress in the 9th. Not to mention the Friar mascot and Friar logo are still prominently displayed all over both their uniforms, the ballpark, and beyond. It's embraced, but they also don't feel it's the end all of their identity. But in point of fact, they've had far more "Friar" and "Mission" iconography associated with the team since the mid-90's than they did in the 70's and particularly the 80's (when they eliminated it completely).

Yes they had the taco bell on the cap in the mid-70's to mid-80's which you could argue was mission iconography, and of course the friar logo until '84 when it was abandoned for over a decade but they've embraced it even more today. The only thing lacking is the color brown, which coincidentally was not necessarily a mission color or even the founding friar's robes color (they wore a grayish robe more than they did brown). Hell the brown and yellow ultimately had the longevity it did due to Ray Kroc owning both the team and McDonald's at the time (whose corporate color scheme was, you guessed it, brown and gold) as much as to any historical connections.

And back to the original point, no one has ever been offended by the Padres name including the very people posited that might be offended (the descendants of those very same natives). It's not something that's been an issue for 7 decades now, and I would be highly surprised it ever becomes an issue.

I've been a Padres fan for 30 long years. I know Petco and i know that the "mission" bell you speak of is tucked away at the top of the stadium and all but completely out of sight whenever a cameras not on it. I stand by my point. There are no bells on the logo (even though they've played around with the idea before and it looked great) and there are no obvious bells in the stadium. There's the Friar but as people have pointed out, he doesn't really fit with the team's overall look.

This is the biggest picture of the 35th anniversary logo that I was able to find on Google:

m1iaU1aKL-q5DuHjZT1xTgg.jpg

I've been a Padres fan for 30 long years. I know Petco and i know that the "mission" bell you speak of is tucked away at the top of the stadium and all but completely out of sight whenever a cameras not on it. I stand by my point. There are no bells on the logo (even though they've played around with the idea before and it looked great) and there are no obvious bells in the stadium. There's the Friar but as people have pointed out, he doesn't really fit with the team's overall look.

This is the biggest picture of the 35th anniversary logo that I was able to find on Google:

Hate to break it to you, but the bell hasn't been tucked at the top of the stadium for several years now. Might want to hit a game. It's down the third base line on the first deck now and is very prominently displayed both in person right next to the field, and on TV (since it's right next to the Fox Sports desk on the concourse) right next to the Western Metal Building. And it's rung no less than 9 times a game including its own segment as part of the pre-game festivities. It's impossible to miss.

BnKPTD2IEAAD7Kw.jpg

As for the Friar not fitting their overall look, not sure how much more you'd want him to fit in. I mean he's a large puffy priest wearing a robe (quite often the color of whatever uniform the team is wearing that day, blue, camo, and even brown). And of course he's on one of their two primarily used logos that is on their home uniforms.

pMLB2-11673616dt.jpg

He fits pretty well actually. Not sure how much more you'd like him to fit in, and it's definitely the most he's ever fit in since the team's founding when you consider he was a non-entity outside the logo in the early years and didn't exist at all even in logo form in the 80's.

Being apparent isn't the same as fitting in. They could slap him on the ASG logo, for instance, but it'd be just that - slapping him on. Raw wool isn't exactly in the dress code at the surf and turf restaurants the Padres' look is trying to emulate.

This all makes me think that the Padres would be better off following the lead of the Rangers and Nationals and playing the city name way up. Or the Marlins, who do have the team name on an alt.

Being apparent isn't the same as fitting in. They could slap him on the ASG logo, for instance, but it'd be just that - slapping him on. Raw wool isn't exactly in the dress code at the surf and turf restaurants the Padres' look is trying to emulate.

That's going to be the case no matter what. He's only ever been a peripheral aspect of the team's overall look. And he's sure as heck more integrated today than he was say 40 years ago when he was nothing but one of the logos (and the only Mission related thing they had), 30 years ago when he didn't exist at all (when they had nothing mission related at all in their logo or design set), or hell even 10 years ago when he was primarily wearing a non-team (and non-friar) colors with the maroon. Now at least he's almost always wearing the team colors, which happen to include two colors friars have historically worn, namely the blue and the brown on throwback days.

That's going to be the case no matter what. He's only ever been a peripheral aspect of the team's overall look. And he's sure as heck more integrated today than he was say 40 years ago when he was nothing but one of the logos (and the only Mission related thing they had), 30 years ago when he didn't exist at all (when they had nothing mission related at all in their logo or design set), or hell even 10 years ago when he was primarily wearing a non-team (and non-friar) colors with the maroon. Now at least he's almost always wearing the team colors, which happen to include two colors friars have historically worn, namely the blue and the brown on throwback days.

I didn't know friars that settled California wore blue. From my research they wore brown and grey but wore grey in particular in the San Diego area. Could be wrong info but that's what I was able to find.

I didn't know friars that settled California wore blue. From my research they wore brown and grey but wore grey in particular in the San Diego area. Could be wrong info but that's what I was able to find.

That is true, the friars who settled California wore grey generally. But the Friars (specifically Franciscan Friars) in general wear grey, brown, blue, and even sackcloth (beige).

98f58b838505817419c9e72891577cb6.jpg

Homepage-Slide-Young-Friars.jpg

retiredfriars_0.jpg

182998595-franciscan-friar-walks-barefoo

So this notion that the Padres currently aren't wearing what their namesake wore is both correct and incorrect. Just as the notion that if they wore brown they'd be wearing the color of their namesake is correct and incorrect. The only near certainty is that blue or brown are both aesthetic choices that are both historically correct and incorrect, and that the Padres actually include all of those colors to one extent or another in their current color scheme if you include the '85 throwback they wear regularly on Wednesdays. Come to think of it, the reality of Franciscans color schemes are a good argument for why they should add a brown uniform to their regular rotation and abandon the idea of adding yellow altogether.

Vikings never wore horned helmets, but since enough people believe it, their helmets make sense.

That said, I don't know whether enough people believe that brown is accurate...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived