Should Pete Rose be Reinstated into Baseball?

jaker52

Rumors are flying, and it seems that his ASG involvement may be seeing how he/ fans handle it. I say he shouldn't be banned. What he did was terrible, but he still earned his title as the all time hit king and I'd rather have him in the hall of fame than A-Rod or Barry Bonds. What do y'all think and why?

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has not served his sentence. The sentence was a lifetime ban.

I was all about his reinstatement until I learned of him betting on baseball as a player. He has been lying about it for 30 years and I think he should stay out of baseball. He does not need a plaque in Cooperstown for his cautionary tale to be properly told.

No.

He has lied every step of the way about what he did. Every time new evidence comes out, he lies and says that's the extent of his involvement.

He bet on baseball as a player. He bet on baseball as a manager. He bet on games he played in. He bet on games he managed. Since the 1920s, every single ballplayer has known what the penalty for that is.

He has been lying about it for 30 years and I think he should stay out of baseball.

The Pats have been lying about what they did for the last 15 years as well, and Brady and Belichick are going to coast into the HOF. Rose did bet on baseball, and he did lie about it, but he didn't steal any World Series titles by using tactics that affected how the game went like Belichick and Ernie Adams were doing.

And (as Chet Coppock brought up in the mid-90's), MLB continued to give second and third chances to people like Steve Howe, who couldn't stop abusing. They also overlooked rampant steroid abuse for years.

We don't know that Rose didn't throw games. At this point, we only have his word that he didn't, and he's shown for the past couple decades that his word is worth less than nothing.

That said, you can't compare what Rose did with what anyone else did, unless there's a rule posted in every single NFL locker room, or in the MLB offices, saying that what they did will also result in permanent banishment from the game.

Rose knew exactly what would happen if he got caught. He did it anyway. There's no analogy there to be drawn.

No. No. No. No. No.

Betting was a huge problem in baseball before Pete Rose. No one (to my knowledge) has been caught betting since him. He needs to serve as the example to the younger generation - DONT DISRESPECT THE GAME. Because no matter who you are, and no matter what you've done, you are not bigger than the game.

spacer.png

We don't know that Rose didn't throw games. At this point, we only have his word that he didn't, and he's shown for the past couple decades that his word is worth less than nothing.

That said, you can't compare what Rose did with what anyone else did, unless there's a rule posted in every single NFL locker room, or in the MLB offices, saying that what they did will also result in permanent banishment from the game.

Rose knew exactly what would happen if he got caught. He did it anyway. There's no analogy there to be drawn.

I really doubt he did; he was too competitive.

But I don't think it matters. He did what he did and as we've discussed, betting on his team as a Manager messes with the integrity of the games in which he did not bet on them.

Whatever degree of sympathy one holds for him (I did for a while but as it continues to come out that he's incapable of telling the truth, I have lost it), there is something bigger at stake. No wiggle room can be shown for this; it's also about precedent. There has to be a strong showing that you cannot do what he did. And really, it's hard to feel bad for him...he knew the rule. He knew of the 1919 White Sox. He knew. And I am someone that holds no ill will toward steroid users from the days before MLB outlawed it. That was NOT up on the locker room wall. This was. And gambling on the game is the one thing (more than 'roids, doctoring balls, and corked bats combined) that could bring the game to an end. Keep him out for good.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I would have felt sympathy for him had he come clean in the beginning. Put it out there, cop to everything, and he'd probably be back in baseball today.

Instead, he's spent the past couple decades lying and lying and lying and smearing the people who caught him lying in the first place. No sympathy left - at best he's a selfish scumbag.

I would have felt sympathy for him had he come clean in the beginning. Put it out there, cop to everything, and he'd probably be back in baseball today.

Instead, he's spent the past couple decades lying and lying and lying and smearing the people who caught him lying in the first place. No sympathy left - at best he's a selfish scumbag.

Agreed. I was in favor of reinstating him until it came out a few weeks ago that he bet while he was playing. At that point, I lost all sympathy for him.

Had he confessed right away, his situation would be very different right now. But that's not what happened.

Archived