Should Pete Rose be Reinstated into Baseball?

jaker52

Let me in the hall for his accomplishments, but uphold the ban in all other areas.

By that logic, the Eight Men Out should also be inducted (if their accomplishments merit induction). No thanks.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pete's made his living off of not being in the Hall of Fame. I've always wondered how much money he would lose if he were inducted and in a way it almost seems deep down that he doesn't want to be there. I had some empathy for him but as has been said throughout this thread he bet as a manager on games his team was involved in and he bet as a player. Those rules are on the locker room wall in every MLB clubhouse. Maybe he's illiterate.

His accomplishment is recognized in the Hall of Fame and it should be. Pete Rose however, should only be allowed into the Hall of Fame if he buys a ticket to see it.

the only thing pete freaking rose is good for is a hilarious haircut... his records shoulkd be astericked too imho

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

He DID bet on baseball... does he still do it? There's no way to know until proven guilty. Honestly, I doubt he still does. Learn from mistakes. Let him in.

Doesn't matter if he still does or not. He did when he played, he did when he coached. He broke the rules and now he gets to live with the consequences. Part of which is never seeing the inside of Cooperstown. He knew that before he broke the rules, and he obviously felt the risk was worth it at the time. And worse still he's continued to lie about what he did for 30 years.

Another question: would you rather him be in the HOF or Barry Bonds and A-Rod? I'd rather someone that earned their achievements, even if Pete Rose did something that terrible.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

I'd be fine with it.

Another question: would you rather him be in the HOF or Barry Bonds and A-Rod? I'd rather someone that earned their achievements, even if Pete Rose did something that terrible.

I actually think Bonds should make it in because everyone was doing steroids then and he dominated. A-Rod should too but I don't have a way of justifying that.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

If Bonds and A-Rod end up in the hall one day, than Rose should be too. Both gambling and steroid use both effected the impact of games, the only difference is that the MLB decided not to do anything about steroids for years and just let it be. Anyway, the only way I see him being reinstated and have a shot at the HOF is sometime after he dies.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Tjeck the best way to get over it is to let him in.

In 1963 the NFL had a scandal where Paul Hornung and Alex Karras bet on football they were suspended one season. Hornung went on to go into the Hall of Fame. The scandal is over all was forgiven punishment served.

Connie Hawkins was involved in point shaving it took him years to get into the NBA he first had to play in the ABA first, he eventually got to play with the Suns and had a Hall of Fame career. His punishment was served and point shaving is worse than betting on your team to win.

Pete Rose would never bet against his own team, he bet on his team and tried to win. To me that is why he should be forgiven, he never fixed any game he always tried to win. He has been suspended 26 years now. It is time to let him in the Hall of Fame.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I say no, but the still let A-Rod play, so...

I guess this may be an unpopular opinion but I think gambling is MUCH worse than PEDs. It's a much bigger threat to the integrity of the game.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Pete Rose would never bet against his own team, he bet on his team and tried to win. To me that is why he should be forgiven, he never fixed any game he always tried to win.

Sorry, Tank, but there is absolutely no way you can know this for sure. Pete Rose was a very crooked man. None of us can be 100% sure if only he bet on his team to win or lose. It's completely possible that he bet on his team to win some games, while also betting on them to lose some games.

And even if he only bet on his team as a manager, that could have led to disastrous decision making, such as making his starting pitchers pitch way longer than they were capable of, which could of led to career ending injuries, just because he needed to win that one single game.

Regardless of which side he bet on, gambling on baseball has been explicitly outlawed throughout the history of Major League Baseball. The same rules about gambling were in place when the Eight Men Out were banned as there were when Poor Old Pete Rose got his punishment. It's not like there was a witch hunt out to get Pete Rose. He knew what the punishment was for the rules he violated.

And if Pete Rose was really a great player, why does he need Hall of Fame induction to validate his career. He won multiple World Series championships, he's regarded as one of the greatest Cincinnati Reds of all time, he still gets to keep the record for most base hits, and he got to play many years in one of the most prestigious sports leagues. Why does that all hinge on gaining induction into a museum? Isn't his career already distinguished enough? Does that mean that Fred McGriff, Dale Murphy, Alan Trammell, and Lou Whittaker, among others, didn't have great careers because they didn't gain induction into the Hall?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

As much hatred as MLB as for Rose, if they had evidence that he bet against the Reds they would have said it.

Pete Rose has 4,256 hits the most ever he is a Hall of Famer

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

He DID bet on baseball... does he still do it? There's no way to know until proven guilty. Honestly, I doubt he still does. Learn from mistakes. Let him in.

C'mon, you guys. Charlie Manson hasn't killed anybody in, like, 45 years. Let him out of jail already.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived