Howard University unveils new Athletics logos

Pacificoduck

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmmm.....

6899.gif

19754230335_24589a2346_z.jpg

Yep, I think it is a total upgrade. Howard FINALLY realized that the Bills ripoff was not acceptable in today's world, here are some uniforms:

11140095_886801938052650_513116918431572

I know they have already been posted here, but I thought that maybe they would fit better in this thread.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

I do like the wordmark. It has somewhat of a blend of the standard and the unique so while the wordmark's not amazing it's certainly serviceable.

The logo...ehhh. It's an upgrade over the Bills ripoff I guess, but it's still like every other logo in college sports today.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Serious question. Why did the Bills allow Howard to use that logo for so long? I know Howard claimed to have made it first without legally protecting it (which was never proven). However, I've never heard about the Bills filing any sort of legal action against Howard. Seems like that would/could/should have happened at some point. Howard didn't just wear the logo on uniforms, they've actually sold merchandise with it for decades (My lifetime at least. Born in 1985).

Honestly I think there may be some truth to Howard having it first, with some agreement being made between the two sides at some point. Nothing else can explain why an NFL franchise would allow a Division 1 college program (a minor one, but still D1) to use it's logo for such a long time. Ralph Wilson seemed like the type of rich old grump that would sue if he could.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

what's with all the love for the new logo?

c'mon!!

the bills logo is way better than this stuff!

ripoff? who cares.

the bills logo is one of the best sports logos of all time.

the definition of classic and modern.

to quote todd radom:

As complex logos gave way to sleek, bold, streamlined trademarks, whimsical logos were replaced by forward-looking identities in which shapes were synthesized into minimal elements that could capture a consumer’s attention in milliseconds.

Paul Rand—arguably the most influential logo designer of any era—summed up the ideology behind this movement with these rather unsentimental words:

“The principal role of a logo is to identify, and simplicity is its means…its effectiveness depends on distinctiveness, visibility, adaptability, memorability, universality, and timelessness.”

The modern look was propelled forth by the Swiss Style of design, which featured exceptionally clean aesthetics and an emphasis on readability and a distinct lack of embellishment.

The world of sports identity was inevitably influenced by these larger, global trends. Some of the logos that were created at this time are remarkable in their starkness and simplicity.

sports-logos-60s-70s.png

what's with all the love for the new logo?

c'mon!!

the bills logo is way better than this stuff!

ripoff? who cares.

the bills logo is one of the best sports logos of all time.

the definition of classic and modern.

to quote todd radom:

As complex logos gave way to sleek, bold, streamlined trademarks, whimsical logos were replaced by forward-looking identities in which shapes were synthesized into minimal elements that could capture a consumer’s attention in milliseconds.

Paul Rand—arguably the most influential logo designer of any era—summed up the ideology behind this movement with these rather unsentimental words:

“The principal role of a logo is to identify, and simplicity is its means…its effectiveness depends on distinctiveness, visibility, adaptability, memorability, universality, and timelessness.”

The modern look was propelled forth by the Swiss Style of design, which featured exceptionally clean aesthetics and an emphasis on readability and a distinct lack of embellishment.

The world of sports identity was inevitably influenced by these larger, global trends. Some of the logos that were created at this time are remarkable in their starkness and simplicity.

sports-logos-60s-70s.png

Yes, you are correct, but those are logos for those teams not Howard University. I'm sorry, but for as nice as Buffalo's logo is, it's not Howard's. That would be like someone by the name of Mike, using McDonad's golden arches... it's not his logo.

The second row of that sheet is simpl awesome. Five genuinely (or in the case of the A-Flame, could have / should have been) iconic logos in a row.

Didn't the Bills license it or something?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's an upgrade because what wouldn't be, but it's still not quite there. The shapes in the bison head could use some refining and the middle lines in the B and S are bothering me. They should be on the same arced plane. Now they're competing with each other. It's not as clean as it should be.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Serious question. Why did the Bills allow Howard to use that logo for so long? I know Howard claimed to have made it first without legally protecting it (which was never proven). However, I've never heard about the Bills filing any sort of legal action against Howard. Seems like that would/could/should have happened at some point. Howard didn't just wear the logo on uniforms, they've actually sold merchandise with it for decades (My lifetime at least. Born in 1985).

Honestly I think there may be some truth to Howard having it first, with some agreement being made between the two sides at some point. Nothing else can explain why an NFL franchise would allow a Division 1 college program (a minor one, but still D1) to use it's logo for such a long time. Ralph Wilson seemed like the type of rich old grump that would sue if he could.

Bucknell used the same logo for some time in the 80s and/or 90s.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

We can talk all day about who had that logo first...but I'm just glad to see Howard have their own unique logo now. (It looked a bit embarrassing being the only DI school left not to do so)

bYhYmxh.png

Well.... both Grambling & Georgia still use the same "oval G" as the Green Bay Packers. UGA definitely has the dough to come up with an original logo. As a matter of fact doesn't Georgia have several official alternate logos?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived