Beginning of the end of Arena Football League? (again)

Soundwave721

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TV coverage of ArenaBowl XXVIII is being delayed by North Dakota State vs. Montana...

Very rare occasions when ESPN leaves games early. Last week they did leave a LLWS consolation game for NYCFC/Galaxy.

ArenaBowl will also have a lower rating too.

Coach's wife needs suds tonight with hubby coaching from a suite.

IMAG0001_zps0psmn4na.jpg

And Spokane has a press conference scheduled for Tuesday.

And of course let's not even pretend it's a championship game. Let's just throw the SaberCats crap on the back of the truck and take it to Stockton. No ArenaBowl logos at all.

The fact that they're trying to pull the wool over our eyes by having SaberCats banners hanging from the ceiling is just plain sad.

VmWIn6B.png

It's sad when ESPN doesn't bother bringing out their fancy graphics for your championship game.

Well, it really isn't so sure that ESPN is paying the AFL, or if the AFL is paying them for the airtime.

ESPN wouldn't move the game to Monday, per the contract and the broadcast crew is basically identical to the CBSSN people, so it is save for me to think that Arena Football is paying ESPN as Ari Wolfe is basically a freelance sports broadcaster.

EDIT: The multiple Sabercats season ticket commercials are a dead giveaway that AFL is PAYING for the airtime and must sell the commercial time themselves.

PBC Boxing does buy airtime on networks and contracts ESPN and FOX announcers for respective broadcasts, so the trophy presentation went to News as 10PM airtime was already sold.

I'm waiting for the Stockton SaberCats to become a permanent thing.

Part of me thinks it's a possibility, part of me thinks that an arena management company (the Sharks owners) so wanting to fill dates that they'd move their AHL team to the same arena, wouldn't just throw the Sabercats to the curb unless they found something else to fill those dates. Of course that won't stop them from tossing the Cats to the curb when it suits them, like during the league championship.

Trying to wrap my head around this column:

The San Jose SaberCats "are definitively, without dispute, the greatest team this league has ever seen."

http://www.arenafan.com/news/?page=origcol&writer=113&article=3972

I mean, people dispute the 72-10 Bulls all the time... so an AFL team from the twilight in an era of unbalance and af2-level talent? I just don't know if "definitively" and "without dispute" are the right word choices here. Maybe Arenafan caught the ESPN vapors or something, because this seems like blind loyalty to the present. But they watched and I didn't.

(And for the record I went to Arenafan to find out the score of the Arena Bowl. Sad I never remember to watch anymore. Still got hit with the one pop-up minimum, even in phone, so click with caution.)

The San Jose SaberCats "are definitively, without dispute, the greatest team this league has ever seen."

I mean, people dispute the 72-10 Bulls all the time... so an AFL team from the twilight in an era of unbalance and af2-level talent? I just don't know if "definitively" and "without dispute" are the right word choices here. Maybe Arenafan caught the ESPN vapors or something, because this seems like blind loyalty to the present. But they watched and I didn't.

(And for the record I went to Arenafan to find out the score of the Arena Bowl. Sad I never remember to watch anymore. Still got hit with the one pop-up minimum, even in phone, so click with caution.)

Thinking we need to get arenafan bad comment aggregator going.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Thanks for the popup reminder from Arenafan. I knew there was a reason I didn't go there anymore. Well, that and some douchenozzle who would post every little thing that came into his head once upon a time. The flamethrower never managed to take him out.

It's where I sit.

I think the argument is the 20-1 San Jose team is the greatest of all-time, not the franchise.

My thought is that the league in its current form is incapable of creating the AFL GOAT.

In fact, my mind wanders to the af2's 19-0 Quad-City Steamwheelers of 2000 and how they would fare against the 2015 AFL champs.

Not saying the Steamwheelers would win, but I'm curious if the talent level of this AFL is closer to the af2 of 15 years ago. Or worse.

(And rams80, that's a column not a comment.)

Well, the 2015 Sabrecats do have the same thing going for them that the 2000 Steamwheelers did *wink wink*.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived