Beginning of the end of Arena Football League? (again)

Soundwave721

There has been no rumor that I have seen of the Storm "biting the dust", only a throw away line in a blog article about them defecting but nothing far from solid. The Storm have also been active in the offseason. They are one of like a couple of teams that are pretty sure fire not to back out this offseason.

niagaraq.png

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a succession of tweets tonight, ArenaFan.com is reporting there will be SIX expansion franchises for 2017, including (i) three in Mexico, (ii) one owned by a current NBA & NHL owner, and (iii) two others owned by a current NBA owner.

Initial thoughts...

- Mexico? Really?

- What cities have both NBA and NHL teams owned by the same owners?

nav-logo.png

In a succession of tweets tonight, ArenaFan.com is reporting there will be SIX expansion franchises for 2017, including (i) three in Mexico, (ii) one owned by a current NBA & NHL owner, and (iii) two others owned by a current NBA owner.

Initial thoughts...

- Mexico? Really?

- What cities have both NBA and NHL teams owned by the same owners?

D.C is the only one that comes to mind.

Can't believe I forgot the Dolans. I hate those guys.

New York might be a 'get' but I'm thinking maybe it's Washington or Toronto. As to the two NBA-only teams would be? Who knows? Rumors have been floating about San Antonio for months, but I don't know of any other who's been dipping his toes in the AFL waters.

nav-logo.png

Better figure out how to make it through 2016 first. And reeeeeal good luck with that Mexican expansion. Even indoor soccer can't make anything stick there.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Never trust a non-quote from Arenafan as this statement is outright wrong:

"The largest television broadcaster in Latin America and Mexico is Univision, though it is unknown at this hour if that is the company which Spencer is referring to."

Both Televisa and Azteca, which are actually HQ'ed in Mexico, are larger.

It depends on what you're basing "largest" on. Another quirk is that Televisa owns part of Univision. For total countries, Televisa has a larger footprint. As far as TV sets, Univision has access to more. I'd still like to know why they didn't try Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto or Montreal. I think they'd have better facilities. And the only indoor football I'm aware of in Mexico is the lingerie league.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just the 8 teams for 2016.

16 game season, two bye weeks with one being for all teams over July 4th weekend.

http://www.arenafootball.com/sports/a-footbl/spec-rel/121015aaa.html

Every team makes the playoffs. You know, despite the fact that playoffs IIRC are a best a push for revenue in the minors.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Don't worry, though, 12 NHL/NBA/El Chapo-affiliated expansion teams for 2017 are iron-clad locks.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

$13,000 to $17,000 league-wide in endorsement revenue. You have to try pretty hard to fail that badly.

It is absurdly low.

If he's talking about league-wide revenue, do the teams sign their own deals? I can't believe that any pro sport in San Jose could be pulling less than a couple hundred thousand annually by itself, especially if they're seeing crowds of 10,000+.

Archived