New Fictional Sports League: United Reflex League (Nashville/Arizona/Portland Logos - 3/4/16)

Wildcomet

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments so far, they are appreciated! I was back and forth about pluralizing Ricochet for the name here; there have been a few singular team names that I've liked over the years (Green Bay Blizzard for example) but generally I lean towards the plural names, and I felt it would fit the sport better so I'm glad that was agreed with by people.

It's going slowly, but the concept is still going. New house and new job take a lot of time, lol. I will try to get back to posting things more regularly, the holidays should give me some time to finish up the remaining logo concepts.

That said, I do have a new team to unveil. Let's meet the (ironically named given the conversation about the last team name) Charlotte Guild! This name came from the combination of Charlotte being known as the Queen City and while researching I found a whole lot of organizations in Charlotte that called themselves Guilds, which seems to me fit well with royal, aristocratic type theme so I decided to put them together for this team identity.

The crown is composed of a CG and it's reflection, with a jewel on the top and the team name forming the lower edge of the crown. I had some trouble with the secondary, but a shield logo seemed fitting, so I did an overlapping C-G with the red jewels helping connect them together.

CHA%20Guild%20Logo_zpsxa5dtf5z.png

CHA%20Guild%202ndary%20Logo_zpsylxphk3v.

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

I'm sorry dude but that primary is unreadable I can't tell what letters r where. I think the secondary should be the primary but making a little wider maybe

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

I'm not really seeing the crown in the Guild's logo. I can see it after it is mentioned, but I wouldn't have thought of it by just looking at the logo. I actually thought it was a gate or door in a castle or city wall. I'm also not a fan of the words underneath the logo. The split-up words looks very jarring to me.

The secondary ls a stronger mark. I agree with CodeG that it could be the primary logo. Did you put different sized jewels in the secondary logo for a specific reason? I think it would look much better if they were equally sized.

award%20sig.png

Thanks for the feedback so far, it helps to know when I miss the mark so I can get better in the future. I'm glad to hear the secondary is working fairly well, I'll play with that some more and hit the drawing board for the other logos. I was hoping splitting up the words like that would add to the depth of the crown, but I can see that the offset was too much.

The different size jewels on the shield was just a choice; for some reason it was looking better to me at the time that way than when the jewels were the same size.

• 3 months later...

I know I let this post slide and likely lost most of the interest that this league had, but I wanted to finish up (even if at a reduced scale from what I was attempting. At some point, especially if it's requested I'll maybe go back and complete uniforms, courts, merch, etc but I at least wanted to get the logos completed and shared. That was my original intention, but I took on too much trying to do the rest all right away and life got too heavy to keep it all going.  Anyway here are the rest of the logos. Let me know what you think!

Here are the Oklahoma Firedevils. Firedevil is a term given to a tornado with flames in it; given the heat in Oklahoma and it being part of Tornado Alley the name seemed pretty fitting. It also lended itself to a pretty unique color scheme in the league which helps them stand out. 56d8db95eb027_OKCFiredevilsLogo.png.cf5056d8db4929f22_OKCFiredevils2ndaryLogo.pn

Here is the Utah Pioneers! The team is named for the original Mormon pioneers that largely settled the territory of Utah back in the 1800's. The blue colors are meant to invoke the cool of the mountains, while the tan representing the salt flats in Utah.  Hope you all like!56d8dcd0e8f66_UTAPioneersLogo.png.64f58356d8dd429cce8_UTAPioneers2ndaryLogo.png.

Here is the last one for today, I'll post the remaining three teams in a day or so (really, I swear! lol). Say hi to the Hartford Flagships! Hartford was once home to one of the country's biggest shipyards, where some of the best battleships (often serving as fleet flagships) in the Navy were built in multiple eras of Naval combat. It felt right to give them a patriotic color scheme.

56d8de8a044cb_HRTFlagshipsLogo.png.9127f

56d8dde67b02d_HRTFlagships2ndaryLogo.png

I can definitely tell they were rushed compared to the first few you made (the first ones were golden) these are in no way bad, Utah is actually really good. But Omaha and Hartford are a little, underwhelming compared to the rest... Can't wait to see the rest, and hopefully the courts, uniforms, merch, possibly a simulated season or two, ect 

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

Thank you for the comments, I'm glad I didn't lose everyone's interest with the lack of posting!

I'll admit, Hartford especially was a tricky one for me. I felt it was good location for a team but the inspiration just wasn't there in the same way the initial logos that sparked the idea for the league were. I thought about changing the location but I wanted to challenge myself to come up with something that would be good despite lacking that true inspiration. Assuming I do get into simulated seasons, expansion, etc (cities were picked out prior to my life becoming crazy-busy) Hartford could eventually be rebranded or relocated. That will have to wait until my new puppy is trained enough to not require constant supervision though, lol.

Utah I was pretty happy with, so I'm glad that one is liked. I had an issue with trying to make the person look good but I was happy overall with how he turned out.  Oklahoma I really liked the idea I came up with for their identity but struggled some with turning a fiery tornado into a viable sports logo. I thought it was pretty good but know it could probably be better.

Hopefully I can finish up the uniforms and other stuff, but it might be a while before I have time to do it right.

Hartford I feel would work better with more of a Revolutionary Wooden Ship and Iron Balls sorta vibe to it since you're going for the sorta Patriots Color Scheme, make it more organ maybe put the wordmark in the shape of a ship's hull

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

Thank you for the c&c! That is an interesting idea with Hartford, I'll definitely put it down on my list of ideas for the future of this project.

Here are the final three teams joining the URL for it's inaugural season!

First is the Nashville Owls. The names draws inspiration from Nashville's nickname 'Athens of the South'. The Owl was a significant animal in ancient Athens, so I took the idea of trying to imagine an Owl painted on a shield. The colors come from the Athens flag. The secondary logo is based on the full-scale replica of the Parthenon in Nashville.

56da6f8ba2c3d_NSHOwlsLogo.png.00881ebb95

56da6fa8ad9e3_NSHOwls2ndaryLogo.png.20c2

The next one here is in Phoenix, but representing the whole state. Welcome the Arizona Grandes! I wanted to make an attempt at a roundel style logo, as I've never done one before. The name is in honor of the Spanish speaking heritage of many Arizonans, and the Grand Canyon which is partially in the state. The colors and sunburst pattern come from the state flag.

56da6f8a4cb20_ARZGrandesLogo.png.5721a4856da6fa728739_ARIGrandes2ndaryLogo.png.c

The final stop is up along the coast in Oregon. Here are the Portland Cascades! Named after the region's Cascade mountains. I attempted to use the star and mountains to shape a P in the negative space inside the C for the main logo, and the secondary logo is featuring a Douglas Fir tree (which is a prominent tree in the region) with mountains in the background.

56da6f8d0a2e7_PORCascadesLogo.png.4ceef7

56da6fa612f2f_PORCascades2ndaryLogo.png.

Here is a map showing all the team logos in their locations.

My thoughts on a potential expansion are that I'd want to add 2 teams to the Pacific-North Division (San Jose would move to the Pacific-South), and one team in each division of the Atlantic Conference. For the sake of the storyline, as the league is now successfully established we would be willing to look at more major cities for this round of expansion.

56da72e94724f_2015LeagueTeamLogosMap.thu

35 minutes ago, in_a_rush said:

Here is a map showing all the team logos in their locations.

My thoughts on a potential expansion are that I'd want to add 2 teams to the Pacific-North Division (San Jose would move to the Pacific-South), and one team in each division of the Atlantic Conference. For the sake of the storyline, as the league is now successfully established we would be willing to look at more major cities for this round of expansion.

56da72e94724f_2015LeagueTeamLogosMap.thu

Great series and Logos mate!

Archived