2015 NFL Season-Now with Playoff Talk

buzzcut

Yes I did and there were at least two occasions where he could have been used. He is terrible, it was a move to copy Fox and there use of Mike Perrera who btw is usually right and very good.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The difference between Super Bowl L and Super Bowl XL was that was just one maybe bad call. Super Bowl XL was bad call after bad call after bad call after bad call, and each one went in favor of the same team. It's the single worst, most one-sided officiated game I've ever seen. Regular season, post season. It's a disgrace. 

How many dropped passes did Seattle commit in that game? That's what most people, along with myself, took away from what was a convincing Steelers win. 

The call we're (really?) still debating was a 3rd down run by Roethlisberger that was called on the field as a TD. Because there was no clear angle of the ball crossing the plane, replay couldn't tell if he was down at the 1-inch line. Ok, so A) PIT goes for it on 4th. Scores. Wins 21-10. B ) PIT kicks a field goal, wins the game 17-10. or C) SEA somehow stops Bettis from 1-inch out and still loses the game by 3.

Either way, had you flipped the table and given Seattle all the 50/50 calls, there is no doubt in my mind Pittsburgh still wins that game. Not going to dog the refs because Seattle's stellar job of not showing up/flubbing the hell out of the game.

I also get you're a Cincy guy. That was not a good playoffs for y'all. Plus, it being the "hated Steelers". I don't blame you for hating the outcome.

6uXNWAo.png

13 minutes ago, Cujo said:

How many dropped passes did Seattle commit in that game? That's what most people, along with myself, took away from what was a convincing Steelers win. 

The call we're (really?) still debating was a 3rd down run by Roethlisberger that was called on the field as a TD. Because there was no clear angle of the ball crossing the plane, replay couldn't tell if he was down at the 1-inch line. Ok, so A) PIT goes for it on 4th. Scores. Wins 21-10. B ) PIT kicks a field goal, wins the game 17-10. or C) SEA somehow stops Bettis from 1-inch out and still loses the game by 3.

Either way, had you flipped the table and given Seattle all the 50/50 calls, there is no doubt in my mind Pittsburgh still wins that game. Not going to dog the refs because Seattle's stellar job of job of not showing up/flubbing the hell out of the game.

I also get you're a Cincy guy. That was not a good playoffs for y'all. Plus, it being the "hated Steelers". I don't blame you for hating the outcome.

A first quarter Seattle TD was taken off the board because of an extremely ticky tack offensive PI call so that changes everything from that point onward. Maybe it's in the rulebook, but I've watched a million Steelers games and if the situation is flipped there's no way that's called against Hines Ward. No way. If that's called as it should've been it's a completely different game from there. Later in the first half Seattle had a play that took them to 1st and goal from the one except it was called back for a holding, the refs completely missed that the player who got held was offsides by two feet. Should've at least been offsetting penalties. then the Roethlisberger TD that wasn't, then Hasselbeck getting called for a LOW BLOCK after throwing an interception, which is impossible. 

It was only a convincing Steelers win because they got at least 3 major swings to go their way directly due to officiating. It's hard enough to win a Super Bowl when the playing field is even, but when two major scoring plays are robbed from you it's nearly impossible. That's why the Seahawks melted down. I'd be fine with the outcome if it was fair (see: 2008 over AZ, as much as that bothers me was a fair outcome), but it wasn't fair and even if the Steelers were the better team that day and should've won the game I still haven't seen a more one-sided officiated game at the NFL level before or since. That it happened in the Super Bowl is tragic and yeah we're going to talk about it forever. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 hours ago, Cujo said:

Also, I'll be stunned if Mike Carey has a job at CBS next year. This guy is a total laughingstock. Not sure if anyone has official numbers, but in all seriousness, it seems like he's wrong about 80% of the time.

Actually, in the regular season Carey was correct 90% of the time. I know, I'm as stunned as anyone. 

BB52Big.jpg

Just now, infrared41 said:

Actually, in the regular season, Carey was correct 90% of the time. I know, I'm as stunned as anyone. 

90% correct? :blink::blink: These must've come in games featuring the Titans, Jaguars and Browns -- games nobody in the nation was getting.

6uXNWAo.png

3 hours ago, Cujo said:

90% correct? :blink::blink: These must've come in games featuring the Titans, Jaguars and Browns -- games nobody in the nation was getting.

So says this article I read. You're probably right about a lot of his calls taking place in regional games. My guess is his biggest mistakes took place in nationally televised games. That's why he has the reputation for always being wrong. 

BB52Big.jpg

13 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

So says this article I read. You're probably right about a lot of his calls taking place in regional games. My guess is his biggest mistakes took place in nationally televised games. That's why he has the reputation for always being wrong. 

Well, better we have Carey in the studio than on the field. Last thing we need his him out there Phil Lucketting everything in sight.

6uXNWAo.png

On 2/8/2016 at 1:21 PM, the admiral said:
On 2/8/2016 at 1:58 PM, infrared41 said:

I hate to break it to you, but the Bears aren't special in that respect. It's the same way in Philly, Cleveland, Buffalo - hell, any city that's had an NFL team for over 20 years. There's only so much "joy" to go around. 

I thought the knock on the Bears was that it was a terrible NFC in 2006 and they only did what they were supposed to do by getting to the Super Bowl, though I will give you that everyone on the face of the earth picked the Saints to win that game because it would Rebuild New Orleans without any regard to the fact that the Bears were a clearly superior team playing outside in January against a dome team that didn't even practice outside.

I don't hate Chicago sports! Just the Bears for being too popular in proportion to the joy they've delivered in my lifetime. A team this mundane should not dominate the landscape.

Yeah, I currently live in Detroit, which has the Red Wings, Pistons, Tigers, and Lions.  The Red Wings have been a generational powerhouse who all Detroiters claim to love, but are really just mostly followed by duchey white guys from the suburbs.  The Pistons could literally all drop dead and no one would notice except when they're in the NBA finals.  The Tigers are generally beloved, but its more in a "great way to spend an evening" way than a "live and die with every game" way.

But the Lions?  Good heavens, this team has given nothing to their fans but soul-crushing misery for 50 years... say it again, 50 years... that's one playoff win since 1957 (let that sink in), and Detroiters LOVE THEM.  Live and die with every single loss, paint their faces blue and silver, jam the phone lines at the local sports talk radio stations. I firmly believe most local fans would be willing to let the other three teams leave town just for one super Bowl appearance.

The NFL, huh?

10 hours ago, Cujo said:

Either way, had you flipped the table and given Seattle all the 50/50 calls, there is no doubt in my mind Pittsburgh still wins that game. Not going to dog the refs because Seattle's stellar job of not showing up/flubbing the hell out of the game.

Neither of us have metrics to back up our points, but I'd wager that "most people" took away that there was at least a series of bad calls against Seattle, and at worst a conspiracy.  In fact, it's the only true flat-out "rigging" that I believe in.  I definitely think that some players get calls, or maybe a team might get the benefit of the doubt when it benefits the league, but based on the officiating, there was no way that Pittsburgh was going to lose that game.

They probably would have beaten Seattle straight up, but we'll never know.

L is by no means in the same category as XL.  After thinking about it, I think that the league would have benefited more from having Cam win this game to cement himself as a superstar.  They could have marketed the bejeezus out of him.  Not sure they stand to make much on Peyton, other than it's a better story.  

Now had the game been in New Orleans....

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I thought there were two especially bad calls against the Panthers (the non-reception and the non-roughing the passer on 3rd and 24). Also, Denver was pretty rough with Carolina receivers all game long, but sometimes that's just how it goes.

I don't think the officiating was especially nefarious, but sometimes in a close game, two bad calls can have outsized impact on a game. Even having barely made any offensive progress all game, Carolina was in it with 4 minutes to go.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

19 hours ago, See Red said:

I think city officials estimated it around 1 million people, but who knows.

According to local news, *unofficially* 1 million made it downtown. Not bad, considering that's roughly one-half of the entire Denver metro area. ?

6uXNWAo.png

On 2/9/2016 at 9:41 AM, McCarthy said:

A first quarter Seattle TD was taken off the board because of an extremely ticky tack offensive PI call so that changes everything from that point onward. Maybe it's in the rulebook, but I've watched a million Steelers games and if the situation is flipped there's no way that's called against Hines Ward. No way. If that's called as it should've been it's a completely different game from there. Later in the first half Seattle had a play that took them to 1st and goal from the one except it was called back for a holding, the refs completely missed that the player who got held was offsides by two feet. Should've at least been offsetting penalties. then the Roethlisberger TD that wasn't, then Hasselbeck getting called for a LOW BLOCK after throwing an interception, which is impossible. 

It was only a convincing Steelers win because they got at least 3 major swings to go their way directly due to officiating. It's hard enough to win a Super Bowl when the playing field is even, but when two major scoring plays are robbed from you it's nearly impossible. That's why the Seahawks melted down. I'd be fine with the outcome if it was fair (see: 2008 over AZ, as much as that bothers me was a fair outcome), but it wasn't fair and even if the Steelers were the better team that day and should've won the game I still haven't seen a more one-sided officiated game at the NFL level before or since. That it happened in the Super Bowl is tragic and yeah we're going to talk about it forever. 

Agreed. My memories of that game were "All the refs on the Bus! Now! We can't slow down below 50 or the bomb will go off!" (movie reference thrown in for humour)

Archived