Moser316

What Are You Listening To?

the admiral    10,632

Does anyone like Vance Joy? Vance Joy sucks. Why is every song called like "I'm a Piece of Crap and Everything's My Fault"?

SFGiants58    2,067

The best Judas Priest stuff isn't the fast tempo/proto-speed metal stuff. Rather, their finest work is in the slower, ballad-y songs. I'd listen to "Before the Dawn," "Fever," "Out in the Cold," "A Touch of Evil," and "Beyond the Realms of Death" many times before I'd ever consider playing "Breaking the Law," "You Got Another Thing Comin'," or "Painkiller" again. It's this kind of stuff that separates Priest from the other New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands.

Tigers6884    299

Speaking of ballads by metal bands...

Load is such an underrated Metallica album. While there aren't many "hits" you'll hear on the radio, there are a lot of hidden gems. (Even though this was a single, I don't think it gets the love it deserves)

Shumway    745

The Darkness is a band that still exists and released their fifth album on Friday. It's pretty solid. (Just a heads up...there's some swears in this song)

Obviously, they're only known for one song that came out 14 years ago, but they're legitimately one of my favorite bands and a hell of a lot of fun to see live.

Shumway    745

I've been on a bit of a funk/soul kick lately, and these guys popped up in my Spotify today. Good stuff.

While I'm at it, I've been really digging St. Paul & The Broken Bones the past few months. They're definitely worth checking out.

infrared41    3,723
On 9/27/2017 at 2:57 PM, the admiral said:
On 9/27/2017 at 9:44 AM, CS85 said:

I've never liked Foo Fighters.  I find them a tick above Nickelback in terms of output, with the majority of their praise stemming from how often Dave Grohl displays his admittedly cool fascination with classic rock.

That and Grohl's cloying publicity stunts. "Everlong" was awesome but most of their stuff is just critically acclaimed butt rock.

Nice. I thought it was just me. I've never gotten the whole Foo Fighters thing. I like "Learning to Fly" and the slowed down, half-acoustic version of "Times Like These." The rest? It all sounds like a guy who recently discovered that going from a D to a B minor sounds kinda cool.

Memo to Dave and Taylor: Saying :censored: four times per sentence does not make you sound cool. It makes you sound like idiots. 

the admiral    10,632

As best I can tell, the Foo Fighters uber-love didn't really start raging till around 2004-2005, when modern rock was dominated by girl-jeans-just-fit-better emo/mallpunk (Fall Out Boy, surprise appearance by Green Day) on one side and aloof NYC/UK artiness (Radiohead, Belle and Sebastian, the Strokes, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs) on the other. And of course you had Coldplay doing a lukewarm U2 impression and the actual U2 also doing a lukewarm U2 impression. I think there was a hunger for Real Ass Rock Apostrophe N Apostrophe Roll that was loud, uptempo, masculine, and mass-appeal. Ergo, I GODDANUDDER CONFEHHHHHSSION

Shumway    745

Foo Fighters are my favorite band.

I can't disagree with anything you guys are saying (although I'm not sure what "critically acclaimed butt rock" is, exactly :D ), but I absolutely love just about everything they've put out prior to this year (their newest album kinda blows, honestly). Out of all of the concerts I've been to, the best two have both been Foo Fighters' shows. I don't think they're the most talented band in the world, but their formula, while somewhat basic, I'll admit, works. It's loud and screamy, yet melodic and unique enough to not be just another hard rock sound. Plus, Dave Grohl comes off as just a really cool, likeable guy...and from what I've heard from others, he really is cool and likeable. I think that's why they're popular.

Tanny81    5
1 hour ago, Shumway said:

Foo Fighters are my favorite band.

I can't disagree with anything you guys are saying (although I'm not sure what "critically acclaimed butt rock" is, exactly :D ), but I absolutely love just about everything they've put out prior to this year (their newest album kinda blows, honestly). Out of all of the concerts I've been to, the best two have both been Foo Fighters' shows. I don't think they're the most talented band in the world, but their formula, while somewhat basic, I'll admit, works. It's loud and screamy, yet melodic and unique enough to not be just another hard rock sound. Plus, Dave Grohl comes off as just a really cool, likeable guy...and from what I've heard from others, he really is cool and likeable. I think that's why they're popular.

Thinking about getting tickets for when they announce dates up in Canada. I got like 15 of their songs on my Library and am getting into them more. Worth it to go?

Shumway    745
29 minutes ago, Tanny81 said:

Thinking about getting tickets for when they announce dates up in Canada. I got like 15 of their songs on my Library and am getting into them more. Worth it to go?

They were incredible both times I saw them live. I'd say so.