The one photo that defines a player or career

infrared41

Saw this idea on Reddit while I was doing an image search for Ray Fosse. I thought it might be fun to give it a go here. The concept is simple - post a single picture of a player that you think more or less defines that player or that player's career. I think it could work for teams too.

For example:

Img5369536_n.jpg

kajx-large.jpg

This is the picture that led me to the Reddit thread.

pete-rose.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stand by these choices, because just about anyone can tell me when exactly they were taken.

img19114011.jpg

dal_sbmoments_01.jpg

gretzky-presser-620-thumb-620xauto-31758

47592_origin.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Terrific thread idea. This has the significant potential to derail into simply "iconic sports photos" but I think there's a difference, with (obviously) some overlap.

The one that immediately came to mind for me (49ers fan and all) was The Catch. Dwight Clark had a solid NFL career, but to most fans, he's "The Catch" and not much else. A bit of "one-hit wonderness" (see: David Tyree) helps a little, but obviously, legends can have one photo that defines their career as well...

Wilt_Chamberlain_100-point.jpg

chuck-bednarik.jpg

9b6f296b72e9a6afe85ae56a51741dbb.jpg

buckner1.jpg

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Todd Helton, this picture embodies the joy and passion he had for the game. Ultimately though some post WS pictures may better sum up the results of his career.

todd-helton-after-07-playoff-win-270x300

Mario Balotelli, this defines him as much as any picture has defined a player.

article-2052949-0E81FF2A00000578-718_468

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Former England international Terry Butcher and his head wound.

terry-10.jpg

The infamous Maradona hand of god goal

diego-10.jpg

The Cantona kick on a Crystal Palace fan

canton10.jpg

October 1st 1977. Pele plays his last professional career game for the New york Cosmos

14332210.jpg

glory10.png

A couple "crowd favourites"

malice-at-the-palace-artest-e14164256231

Mike Milbury

dn09050.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived