Atlanta Soccer Concept

bhholloway

So I thought of a cool idea while in the shower yesterday from a soccer team in Atlanta that isn't as generic and cliche sounding, and spent about an hour or so designing and tweaking a logo/crest. It is definitely a work in progress. I like the font choice, but hate the placement and can't think of another way to use it without it looking equally as bad. I'm definitely open to any comment/criticism so don't hold back.

I introduce to you ATLANTA 285. I know it kind of sounds like Toronto's RAPTORS 905, and I know people on here didn't like that name, but I thought it was fantastic. It was different, and it had a sense of meaning that no other team could have; nobody else has the 905 area code. And with Interstate 285 being the highway that circles around Atlanta, nobody else has and Interstate 285, and is unique to Atlanta. The funky shape that the "inter-Milan-esque" bars are inside is the perimeter 285 makes around Atlanta, and I thought it would be a cool incorporation to the logo. I tried to use a font that looked like what you find on highway/interstate signs. Again, help with what to do with the type above and below would be awesome; I am stuck on ideas for it.

I'm gonna begin working on jerseys for this soon.

pmRMpCP.png

I appreciate your direction on this. I think something like this may have worked decades ago. Audiences of today sort of demand names to be obviously related to a city, I believe. So to keep with name like 285 you need to include other elements that people can identify with Atlanta.

Untitled-1_zpsjn8inbhy.png

I can also appreciate your direction here. If you like the 285 name... go with it! But decide if it will be Atlanta 285...or Atlanta SC. I think you just need to simplify your design slightly to make it suitable for the modern era.

Maybe start with trying to contain your design within a shape. Circle for instance. Then as S.Tom.P mentioned, add some elements... maybe something from the Georgia Flag. Stars... Stripes... and then maybe a soccer ball motif...etc.

Some considerations / adjustments and you will be good to go.

spacer.png

Thanks guys! I love all the help. I do like the idea of the interstate sign, but I've gotten emotionally attached to the perimeter shaped crest haha. I'm definitely gonna try to find a say to merge the two. I think I have an idea in my head, but I don't know how it looks in reality. Only one way to find out how it looks!

UPDATE! Ok, so here's how I tried to merge the interstate sign and the 285 perimeter. I dumped the white for more of a silver. My goal has been to avoid the cliche red white and blue color scheme. I'm trying to keep red as more of an accent color with blue and black being the two main colors. Again, don't hold back on what you think!

Vtpa7Vz.png

The update is much better, but it still just isn't there. I feel like there are way to many dark colors in it and not a bright balance. It's also hard to have a black outline on a black background like you have with the #8 in the logo. It's definitely an improvement, but it still has a long way to go.

bWdXRDv.jpg

ZgaIoh4.jpg

I believe in Auburn and love it!                                                 @RealTCutt                                                                            Colossians 3:23

The update is much better, but it still just isn't there. I feel like there are way to many dark colors in it and not a bright balance. It's also hard to have a black outline on a black background like you have with the #8 in the logo. It's definitely an improvement, but it still has a long way to go.

I totally agree. The silver and blue probably need to be a little bit lighter. Maybe outline the type in a thin lighter silver too. I'll see how it looks that way.

UPDATE! So not only did I tweak the logo, but also made a complete set of jerseys. I wanted to go far far away from the standard jerseys. I like the look of the crest on the chest. But I also wanted to emulate the Atlanta Thrashers with the team name inside the stripe, just on the torso rather than sleeve. So along with the modified logo, I'd like to present both the primary and secondary jerseys. I'm gonna hold out on the third jersey for a while.

dGgSjra.png

Gwxanyn.png

0niRoRd.png

Archived