Who to support in the Premier League

jaker52

I think I've picked Tottenham. They happened to be on a few times this week and I found myself cheering for them each time -- plus, they have a nice, clean look.

Is this a decent choice?

Yes, yes it is.

John Cena, Peter Forsberg, Rupert Grint, and myself welcome you to the fan base.

jNTsTyQ.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've picked Tottenham. They happened to be on a few times this week and I found myself cheering for them each time -- plus, they have a nice, clean look.

Is this a decent choice?

Yes, yes it is.

John Cena, Peter Forsberg, Rupert Grint, and myself welcome you to the fan base.

Telling people that he supports Tottenham will make people want to support Arsenal. ;)

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Is there a midlevel team that can be pretty good but has it's infuriating, week in week out wrist slitting moments, akin to the experience of being a Carolina Panthers fan? If so sign me up.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Is this a decent choice?

Yes, Yes it is. Welcome to the rollercoaster of Tottenham.

cena6_10.jpg

glory10.png

So as the Premier League opens today, I find myself at an odd crossroad... I think... I want to change teams.

My team is Manchester United. They open up against Tottenham Hotspur... the team I think I want to switch to. (Which oddly, seems to be a theme in this thread.)

I chose Manchester United for a weird reason: the movie Eurotrip. I saw the movie, laughed at the soccer hooligans, and thought Manchester United was a fake team. I started to get into soccer around the 2006 World Cup, and decided that I wanted support a team in the Premier League. When I went to go look for teams, I saw Manchester United and said, they're real? Then I've gotta support them! Knowing nothing about their history or reputation or, more specifically, the way they do business. Which brings me to now.

For whatever reason, this offseason in particular has left me sour on how Manchester United conducts business. Throw money at all the problems. Players we bought last season didn't work out? That's fine. We'll sell them and buy new ones. Players threatening to leave? That's fine. We'll buy a replacement. And I know you might be saying, "yeah, that's Manchester United and all the truly big clubs. You're just turning on it now?" Well, yes. Like I said, for whatever reason. Maybe it's a straw in the camel's back thing.

And maybe, it's a thing that brought me closer to Tottenham Hotspur... FIFA15, the video game. In the game's career mode, I chose Manchester United. And I understood I had to be put on loan to start the career and whatever, but eventually when I got to the big club, I was constantly jerked around. I was successful, but I kind of didn't like it. I asked for a loan, and went to Borussia Monchengladbach in the Bundesliga. I was equally personally successful, and while the team ultimately fell short of the league title (Damn Bayern), I enjoyed the hell out of it. So much so, that when my loan was up and had to go back to Manchester after the season, I was bummed. Luckily just before the season, I received a transfer offer... from Tottenham Hotspur. And let me tell you, I'm loving it again.

So again, a partially stupid reason. But I've always admired Tottenham from afar. I paid attention with the Americans brought through like Dempsey and now Yedlin. I've always loved the aesthetics of the club too. The crest, the colors, the kits. I love the name "White Hart Lane" as a ground. Gives it an old-timey and almost small town club feel for a big city club. The name "Tottenham Hotspur" is about as damn English as you can get. I like that they aren't the biggest of the big clubs, but they can punch with them, or at the very least think it.

So, I'm either wayyyyyy over thinking all of this, or I'm actually having a change of heart.

On a trial basis, I'm going to take Tottenham Hotspur for a test ride this season. I'll still follow Manchester United this season. I'm going to try and weigh them equally. So that means today's opening game is going to be a little interesting. But I will say, I'm leaning towards switching or maybe just dropping affiliations all together and just watching the league.

So, for you Premier League and specifically Tottenham fans out there... is that OK?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

So, for you Premier League and specifically Tottenham fans out there... is that OK?

Do what feels right. If you're switching teams because you've soured on one, I think that's fine. If people can convert from one religion to another, I don't see why you can't switch team allegiances, as long as you're not doing it for the wrong reasons.

Just don't say "the Spurs" and you'll be fine.

Another year where I don't have any team in the PL to support. I like West Ham the most though, but I wish ManUtd the title this year (well, I would wish WHU the title, but that seems a little bit unrealistic).

All of the clubs in England that I really like are in the lower divisions for years now. I chose Leeds United as my club a few years back, patiently waiting year after year for a comeback. But I also have strong sympathies to Nottingham Forest, Derby County, Charlton Athletic, Southend United and I also like Coventry somehow.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Do what feels right. If you're switching teams because you've soured on one, I think that's fine. If people can convert from one religion to another, I don't see why you can't switch team allegiances, as long as you're not doing it for the wrong reasons.

Just don't say "the Spurs" and you'll be fine.

Or call the team Tottenham Hotspurs. It's just Tottenham Hotspur. There is no s at the end.

glory10.png

They open up against Tottenham Hotspur... the team I think I want to switch to. (Which oddly, seems to be a theme in this thread.)

As someone who is constantly perplexed by people picking random teams to support in Europe, I can completely understand why Tottenham is gaining a lot of traction around these parts.

They're a team that's good enough to be relevant (by relevant I mean contesting for qualification to European competitions) but they don't have a huge trophy case the size of teams like Manchester United, Liverpool, or Arsenal. They also aren't being propped up by a rich sugar daddy like Chelsea and Manchester City so Spurs are more palatable to the average person although I don't have a problem with them.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I love how lots of PL grounds are named. After watching bournemouth-villa it seems tempting to support the cherries. About to watch Chelsea-Swansea.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

So as the Premier League opens today, I find myself at an odd crossroad... I think... I want to change teams.

My team is Manchester United. They open up against Tottenham Hotspur... the team I think I want to switch to. (Which oddly, seems to be a theme in this thread.)

I chose Manchester United for a weird reason: the movie Eurotrip. I saw the movie, laughed at the soccer hooligans, and thought Manchester United was a fake team. I started to get into soccer around the 2006 World Cup, and decided that I wanted support a team in the Premier League. When I went to go look for teams, I saw Manchester United and said, they're real? Then I've gotta support them! Knowing nothing about their history or reputation or, more specifically, the way they do business. Which brings me to now.

For whatever reason, this offseason in particular has left me sour on how Manchester United conducts business. Throw money at all the problems. Players we bought last season didn't work out? That's fine. We'll sell them and buy new ones. Players threatening to leave? That's fine. We'll buy a replacement. And I know you might be saying, "yeah, that's Manchester United and all the truly big clubs. You're just turning on it now?" Well, yes. Like I said, for whatever reason. Maybe it's a straw in the camel's back thing.

And maybe, it's a thing that brought me closer to Tottenham Hotspur... FIFA15, the video game. In the game's career mode, I chose Manchester United. And I understood I had to be put on loan to start the career and whatever, but eventually when I got to the big club, I was constantly jerked around. I was successful, but I kind of didn't like it. I asked for a loan, and went to Borussia Monchengladbach in the Bundesliga. I was equally personally successful, and while the team ultimately fell short of the league title (Damn Bayern), I enjoyed the hell out of it. So much so, that when my loan was up and had to go back to Manchester after the season, I was bummed. Luckily just before the season, I received a transfer offer... from Tottenham Hotspur. And let me tell you, I'm loving it again.

So again, a partially stupid reason. But I've always admired Tottenham from afar. I paid attention with the Americans brought through like Dempsey and now Yedlin. I've always loved the aesthetics of the club too. The crest, the colors, the kits. I love the name "White Hart Lane" as a ground. Gives it an old-timey and almost small town club feel for a big city club. The name "Tottenham Hotspur" is about as damn English as you can get. I like that they aren't the biggest of the big clubs, but they can punch with them, or at the very least think it.

So, I'm either wayyyyyy over thinking all of this, or I'm actually having a change of heart.

On a trial basis, I'm going to take Tottenham Hotspur for a test ride this season. I'll still follow Manchester United this season. I'm going to try and weigh them equally. So that means today's opening game is going to be a little interesting. But I will say, I'm leaning towards switching or maybe just dropping affiliations all together and just watching the league.

One of us. One of us. Gooble gobble gooble gobble.

Always lots of room on the Norwich bandwagon. :D

But, seriously, just watch some games and you'll eventually gravitate towards one.

Also, Sod: I thought you were a Goon?

I thought I was, too. I was on the fence between Arsenal and Palace, and started watching Arsenal more and more, really liked some of the players, but for some reason, couldn't bring myself to buy anything Arsenal-related. Then I spent a morning at The Globe in a Gooner takeover and realized, yeah, absolutely not, screw these people. A friend of mine who's supported the Eagles for about 15 years gave me a little history of the club, and that was the nudge I needed to get fully onboard. Bought a jersey (for £20 from the club store!), a scarf, and a mug. Bonus: Ever since they hired Pardew, their games aren't complete drudgery!

I will always have a place in my heart for Olivier Giroud's unparalleled sexiness, though.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived