MLB Tweaks: Rockies Updated

SFGiants58

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the original Project 30 thread is now locked, I figured I'd make some quick comments on some of your previous MLB concepts.

Orioles - Love the use of the old '60s script. I'd drop the white outlines on the black alternate.

Rays - I wasn't a fan of your "Stingrays" rebrand, but your "Rays" update is a huge improvement over their current bland look. Not sure how I feel about the powder blue "Rays" text on the green alternate, though.

Blue Jays - None of the alternates look bad, but I don't think the Jays need two royal blue alternates. To simplify things, I'd give them a royal blue home alternate and save that powder blue set for the road.

White Sox - My Sox! The Sox don't need to add another color to their look, but if they had to, red is the way to go. Only suggestion I have is to add the 1983 throwback uniform to their set seeing as it's now become part of their permanent rotation.

Indians - Since you're attempting to diversify the use of color in MLB, how about replacing the navy with brown? Too many MLB teams currently wear a combination of red and blue and for a team named after indigenous people it makes sense to use earth tones. I like the "C" logo with the feather but I think it throws off the balance of the home alternate. I also think the road alternate is too intensely red. Give them a navy alternate (or, if you take my suggestion, a brown alternate) with red lettering to solve this issue.

Tigers - As I suggested a few days ago, try reversing the colors on the home alternate so that the jersey top is orange with navy script.

Royals - I said it in the original thread--the purple and gold scheme for the Royals is absolutely inspired. In an alternate universe the Royals would pre-date the Rockies by becoming the first MLB team to wear purple and they'd have one of the best looks in baseball today.

Angels - Not a fan of the solid red cap, but everything else looks great. I know people frequently suggest adding the halo cap, but I for one think it would look goofy in today's game.

Mariners - That shade of teal is just a bit too vibrant for my tastes, but other than that a solid set. Maybe add that blue and yellow fauxback they debuted this season?

Braves - I won't comment on this one since you mentioned you'll be posting an update soon.

Marlins - Perfect. I remember not liking something about this set when you originally posted it, but looking at it now, I can't for the life of me remember what that was.

Cubs - I like what you did with the North Siders, but I'd replace the bear face logo you used with the "angry" bear (minus the red circle behind it). The road alternate you designed is based on one they introduced last year which went over like a lead balloon, though I personally didn't mind it.

Dbacks - I'm wondering if you'll revisit this team in this thread. There's a ton of potential in this concept (especially with the unique color scheme you chose) but I'm not sure it's quite there...just yet. I really like the idea behind the diamond/triangle striping on the sleeves and pants but it might be a bit "much."

Rockies - I don't like the updated shade of purple you gave to the Rockies; maybe it's my laptop screen but it just looks navy blue, which makes the whole set look too much like the Rays. Go back to that slightly lighter shade of purple and you have a winner! Great thinking to drop the black and pinstripes.

Padres - This is by far the best Padres set I'ver ever seen. The mid-70s script, the sand road set, the Swinging Friar...Perfect.

Giants - The only thing I don't like about the Giants' current look is the arched block "San Francisco" lettering on their home jersey. I've always preferred this script. And how about a concept based on their commemorative World Series jerseys with gold lettering? :)

Thanks for the C+C, I really appreciate it in refining my concepts.

ATLANTA BRAVES

Version 1

This one is a small tweak upon my original concept. While many of the changes I made with the original remain (return to the Milwaukee-era navy shade, Northwestern stripe on the socks, contrast-colored tomahawk on the home/road uniforms, home cap on the road uniform), I made a few more adjustments. I removed the front numbers, as I felt they cluttered up the front (which several posts mentioned in the original thread). I also redid the arched NOB, using a font the more closely resembled the old arched NOB font.

19825748218_7e02064df9_b.jpg

19827171949_787d172eac_b.jpg

Most of the changes in this update were made to the alternates. The navy alternate stays largely the same, except with the "Braves" script taking the place of the "Altanta" one. The red alt goes away, in an attempt to differentiate themselves from the Nationals (who are red-dominant in my original and in the update I'll do). In it's place, a fauxback to the iconic "715" uniforms worn during the early-mid 1970's. I chose not to make it a full throwback as I prefer the Braves to use navy rather than royal (and the original's script was not a particularly good rendering of the iconic script). Like their current BP hat, this design swaps out royal blue for navy. The jerseys are also button-front (for player comfort/personal preference), and feature an NOB.

19825747558_2d27c3de5f_b.jpg

I know that some may bemoan the loss of the red alternate, but I think a fauxback to one of their most iconic sets is the better route for the Braves and amongst two red-dominant NL East teams (Philadelphia and Washington). C+C is greatly appreciated, as always.

Braves look great. The home and road primaries in particular are immaculate. My only issue with the alternate (and you'll probably hear me complain about this a lot because it's a pet peeve of mine) is the white outlines on the piping and script. I've never liked them and always found them unnecessary, but that just comes down to personal taste.

Are you done tweaking the Tigers or will you try out the orange w/ navy script alternate idea?

Braves look great. The home and road primaries in particular are immaculate. My only issue with the alternate (and you'll probably hear me complain about this a lot because it's a pet peeve of mine) is the white outlines on the piping and script. I've never liked them and always found them unnecessary, but that just comes down to personal taste.

Are you done tweaking the Tigers or will you try out the orange w/ navy script alternate idea?

Thanks. I tried out that orange alt for the Tigers, and I actually kind of like it:

20506139959_b8258bd91a_b.jpg

I still prefer the navy alt, but the orange doesn't look half bad either. Also, I've got a new update ready to go!

OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Version 1

While I am thoroughly content with my previous A's concept, I felt like I missed an opportunity with the team. A few of my goals in the original series included broadening the spectrum of color schemes in the MLB and bringing in historical elements to current looks. The A's present two opportunities to this, and I didn't take them, until now.

Since there is already an AL team using Forest Green in my series (the Rays, who will keep that color scheme in their update), I decided to bring back Kelly Green for the A's. After I did my Sonics concept, I figured that a more saturated/darker Kelly shade could contrast well with the yellow-gold color, so I went with that shade of Kelly Green here (Pantone 349c, for those curious). The other change I made was with regard to the historical significance of the elephant logo, namely, green is the wrong color for it. Per the story of its origin on the uniforms, it should always be white. So, I recolored the elephant and added green and yellow outlines, so that it could show up on all of the team's jerseys. It's also been promoted to the primary while the roundel gets demoted to secondary (only to be used when the situation requires a roundel logo).

20471426189_547997d1c6_b.jpg

The uniforms are much the same as my original concept (thin trim on the pants and home/road jerseys to match the alts, flipping the colors on the green alt, and making the home cap the only cap), but with the new color scheme and white elephant applied to them. I decided to drop the vest alternates, as I felt they cluttered up the set and that they didn't add much in the way of identity (they can be thrown back to at the team's discretion).

20470171528_b00012347e_b.jpg

20664864371_2730420f5f_b.jpg

While I love the A's in their current Forest Green set, and I stand by my original concept, the Kelly Green does suit them well and the white elephant ties the logo in more with its origin story. C+C is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for doing that alternate Tigers edit. Looks good!

The A's are very well done. I've always preferred kelly green over forest green for the Athletics. The stripes on the pants seem weird, but probably because I'm just not used to seeing them on the A's.

I'm back from my short break, and I've got a good one for you guys!

CHICAGO CUBS

Version 1

This is one that centers around consistency fixes and updated templates. I adjusted the shade of blue to be slightly lighter, to inject a little bit more variety into the royal blue teams in the MLB. The logos are much the same as my first go-around, except I replaced the inaccurate cap logo with the actual cap logo (I originally used the svg displayed on Wikipedia) and adjusted the tertiary logo to match.

20394681088_9a874229ab_b.jpg

I kept the uniforms similar to my originals (old bear logo, no NOB at home, 1958-68 road wordmark.), but I did adjust some things. I replaced the set-in sleeves of my first concept with raglan sleeves (which suits the Cubs more), I added white edges to the sock stripes (for consistency with the cap logo), and I redid the piping on the road uniform to match the uniform it's based on.

20573694772_0800bd881e_b.jpg

The blue road alt gets tweaked to match the piping of the road uniform, and the primary logo appears on the sleeve. The grey alt bites the dust (the actual one is terrible, and mine was not much better), and it gets replaced with a "Retro Day" alternate. "Retro Day" would be an annual event at Wrigley, where the Cubs wear a uniform from their past. In the season depicted, they're rocking the 1941-2 home uniform. I chose it simply because it was one of my favorite Cubs throwbacks from the Wrigley Centennial Celebration, and because it offered so many unique design elements (the stripes and shoulder yoke on the undershirt, the sorta-wishbone C, the zipper-front, etc.).

20394680898_16887e7854_b.jpg

While this is not radically different from my original concept, I feel like it rectifies some of my mistakes from the original and clears up the basic ideas of that concept. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always.

Good work on the Cubs. My thoughts:

- Home and road primaries look perfect as is.

- I'm still not a fan of that particular bear logo. It just looks like a deer in the headlights. I'd use the angry bear logo I linked to a while back.

- That "Retro Day" throwback is pretty great, but I've always been partial to this 1945 throwback. It's such a clean, crisp look, and most of the Cubs fans I've spoken with agree that this is their favorite throwback.

Sock stripes almost always clash with pinstripes, and it doesn't really work here either on the home set. As big a fan I am of striped stirrups, the Cubs aren't a team that should have them at Wrigley. The road is alright, however. I'd get rid of the neck piping, it's a little much. Lastly, are you set on no red road numbers? That's something that's pretty unique to the Cubs and would add some variety here.

Good work, I haven't had much to say on the concepts up to this point.

spacer.png

Archived