MLB Tweaks: Rockies Updated

SFGiants58

This new series will be a collection of updates to concepts from my MLB: Project 30 series, and will focus on improving identity cohesion, diversifying color schemes in the league, and building upon my ideas. Let's start this series off with a team that I felt could use more identity cohesion/a more modern touch, the Minnesota Twins.

The Twins attempted to smooth out their identity when they moved to Target Field, but they managed to screw it up. Instead of modernizing the poorly-rendered throwback script to fit with their "Minnesota" script, they opted to update the Metrodome-era wordmark and maintain the Metrodome-era underlines on the scripts. They also created color balance issues on the road uniform and on the alternates, and the addition of the new home uniform only hurts the identity cohesion even more. In my attempt to fix this, I thought back to my concept and decided to create a more thorough revamp.

I started out by updating the throwback script to fit in with the "Minnesota" script, while still maintaining the signature "T." That way, the team can completely steer away from Metrodome-era imagery without having to use a wonky script. The logos have been updated to match this new script, and the primary now uses the "navy-first, red second" order. The "TC" logo has also been given a revamp. Inspired by The Admiral's mockup, I set about tying the "T" in with the script "T" and using a slab-serif "C." I decided to maintain some of the original "TC's" width in both letters, as I feel the width did work in the logo's favor. The "M" is meant for fauxback merchandise, and uses the "Minnesota"-script's "M."

19787088199_f0b09f3296_b.jpg

The uniforms are similar to my original design for their uniforms, except that the primary is now on the sleeves, and the sock stripe pattern has changed. Instead of the Senators-inspired pattern, they now use the old Minnesota Vikings' sleeve stripe pattern. Pinstripes remain on the home uniform, as the Twins are one of the few teams that can pull off the pinstriped home uniforms.

19787088749_f390bb39ee_b.jpg

I mixed it up a little bit with the alternates. There is now only one softball top, the one with the "Twins" wordmark (which still has a pair of pinstripe-less pants, as pinstriped pants look terrible with softball tops). The alternate is a fauxback to the 1987-2009 road uniform, using this set's "Minnesota" script and an updated "M" cap logo and "TC" socks. I felt that the road pinstripes would be an excellent homage to the Metrodome-era road uniform, while still incorporating the updated Target Field-era elements.

19352819543_983b3d755f_b.jpg

I feel this makes the Twins' identity more cohesive and more modern, eliminating outmoded elements and preserving its character. C+C is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like most of it except for the changes to the TC. On the historical side, it's the one part of their identity that has remained constant and present since 1961. Aesthetically, the script T and serif C (which has no connection to anything else in the identity) do not mesh well together and it's less interesting visually to have it be a solid color with a stroke than the classic baseball interlocking letters.

I think your updating of the script Twins logo is good, but the W still looks a little wonky - I think it's that the weight and spacing of the first downstroke is different from the other two. Bringing back the pinstripes is great, both on the homes and the fauxback roads. Getting rid of the hideous mustard can't happen soon enough. Again, besides the TC, I really like it, but to me the TC is untouchable.

I like your look a lot! I also think, however, that the "TC" should stay the same. Nice job, though!

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I'm in agreement with most people here, the original TC logo is needed.

Also, the white word mark with red outline on the navy alternate doesn't seem right - maybe try switching the red and white in the word mark.

But, the "Twins" script you have is perfect. Being a Twins fan, I've wanted a full-time return to that script for a while - the new home unis are just terrible.

Thanks. I opted to go with white script/red outline to differentiate the Twins from the other navy/red teams (i.e. Red Sox and Braves). Anyway, here is an update with the original "TC" and a tweaked home script (so the "w" has better line weights):

20119351155_558d9b3ee6_b.jpg

Home and Road

20111345942_e2febe4381_b.jpg

Alternates

19932675249_5cc485c5c1_b.jpg

MILWAUKEE BREWERS

Version 1

While I was happy with my first Brewers concept, I felt that it was worthwhile to do another take on it. I redid my realignment, putting the Brewers back in the NL Central. Considering the minor league Brewers' association with the Braves, and the Braves tenure in Milwaukee, having the Brewers remain an NL team works within my series. I've facilitated this by placing the Astros in the NL West (historical presence in said division and geographic balance with the AL West), and sending the Rockies into the AL West (I felt it worked more than having the Diamondbacks in the AL West, and geographic balance of the West divisions).

I've kept my original color scheme (royal blue/athletic gold), but I've brought in a new primary. It's meant to be a "Borchert Field-ized" version of the current cap logo, as the block M has relevance to both the minor league and major league baseball history of Milwaukee. The ball-in-glove remains a secondary logo (as it's too iconic and popular not to be used, but is too generic to really be used as a primary), with a recolored version of Ren69's excellent 1940's-style Beer Barrelman (Owgust) as a tertiary.

20022174380_f817c2f754_b.jpg

The uniforms now feature the barley leaf pattern on the cuffs and on the pants stripe, mimicking the striping of my original concept while adding some flair. The "block M and barley" logo is now the cap logo, with the ball-in-glove staying on as a sleeve patch. The sock stripe pattern remains unchanged, as the barley pattern did not work on the socks. I also redid the scripts to make them more consistent. I kept the slab-serif number font, but added a slab-serif NOB font to make the set more unified.

20183928106_06821134d6_b.jpg

The gold alternate now emulates the style of uniforms worn by the minor league Brewers worn from about 1911-37, but with the modern cap logo in place of the block M. The ball-in-glove gets its spot on the cap, and the Beer Barrelman appears on the sleeve. The blue alternate is a simple recoloring of the home uniform, but with yellow scripts and no outlines (the white outlines did muddy the script on my original blue alternate).

20215921511_a4b8b71ef6_b.jpg

While I still stand by my original, I like to think of this as a worthwhile experiment. Instead of relying entirely on an update of the 1970's Brewers' iconography, it instead incorporates what works in the current branding and what worked for both the minor and major league Brewers throughout the decades (aside from the Germanic era, which is one of the most overrated looks on this site - teal and metallic gold have no business being together). C+C is greatly appreciated!

These two teams have been great so far!

The Twins look great, and so do the Brewers! Your Milwaukee has a great color scheme, but the "M" logo looks a bit off to me. I understand that the single wheat stalk at the bottom is a nod to their current cap logo, but it looks odd with that block "M" you used. Maybe having two wheat stalks crossing over each other at the bottom could work?

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

MILWAUKEE BREWERS

Version 1

While I was happy with my first Brewers concept, I felt that it was worthwhile to do another take on it. I redid my realignment, putting the Brewers back in the NL Central. Considering the minor league Brewers' association with the Braves, and the Braves tenure in Milwaukee, having the Brewers remain an NL team works within my series. I've facilitated this by placing the Astros in the NL West (historical presence in said division and geographic balance with the AL West), and sending the Rockies into the AL West (I felt it worked more than having the Diamondbacks in the AL West, and geographic balance of the West divisions).

I've kept my original color scheme (royal blue/athletic gold), but I've brought in a new primary. It's meant to be a "Borchert Field-ized" version of the current cap logo, as the block M has relevance to both the minor league and major league baseball history of Milwaukee. The ball-in-glove remains a secondary logo (as it's too iconic and popular not to be used, but is too generic to really be used as a primary), with a recolored version of Ren69's excellent 1940's-style Beer Barrelman (Owgust) as a tertiary.

20022174380_f817c2f754_b.jpg

The uniforms now feature the barley leaf pattern on the cuffs and on the pants stripe, mimicking the striping of my original concept while adding some flair. The "block M and barley" logo is now the cap logo, with the ball-in-glove staying on as a sleeve patch. The sock stripe pattern remains unchanged, as the barley pattern did not work on the socks. I also redid the scripts to make them more consistent. I kept the slab-serif number font, but added a slab-serif NOB font to make the set more unified.

20183928106_06821134d6_b.jpg

The gold alternate now emulates the style of uniforms worn by the minor league Brewers worn from about 1911-37, but with the modern cap logo in place of the block M. The ball-in-glove gets its spot on the cap, and the Beer Barrelman appears on the sleeve. The blue alternate is a simple recoloring of the home uniform, but with yellow scripts and no outlines (the white outlines did muddy the script on my original blue alternate).

20215921511_a4b8b71ef6_b.jpg

While I still stand by my original, I like to think of this as a worthwhile experiment. Instead of relying entirely on an update of the 1970's Brewers' iconography, it instead incorporates what works in the current branding and what worked for both the minor and major league Brewers throughout the decades (aside from the Germanic era, which is one of the most overrated looks on this site - teal and metallic gold have no business being together). C+C is greatly appreciated!

This.

I just went through and re-read your entire Project 30 series and I have to say, many of your concepts are amazing. Your Padres set might be the best one I've ever seen on these forums (or anywhere else, for that matter). I have no idea how you could possibly improve upon it.

As for the two concepts in this thread, the Twins are an improvement; the white script with red outlines is inspired. That Brewers concept is simply beautiful--my only complaint is that the road alternate is perhaps too blue. Maybe give the cap a yellow bill?

Archived