800+ TEAM NICKNAMES

LAWeaver

I've noticed a lot of threads ever since I started here which are simply new members requesting names for a concept series they, at the very least, anticipate on creating. To help try to reduce the number of these threads, I've created an Excel document which contains over 500 different team nicknames users can use whenever they are stuck on naming a team. My end goal with this is to create a database-type website in which someone can enter a city and a list of potential nicknames will appear that would fit that city.

In the mean time, CLICK HERE for the spreadsheet. If you see any names that I may have left out, please feel free to comment. Just a few disclaimers:

1. A lot of these names are city/area-specific. For example, 76ers wouldn't work for a team in LA. Nor would the name Floridians for a team based in New Orleans. Of course, these are some of the most obvious examples.

2. Some of these names I have added throughout the past year from other concept series and/or fantasy sports teams.

3. This list is supposed to be for realistic identities. I am not adding the mascot from Rhode Island school of Design. You can make those teams yourself if you wish. ;)

4. Many of these team names come from the big 4 (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL), NCAA, and a ton of minor league squads.

5. A lot of these names are just variations of another nickname. For example, I know I have Red Devils, Blue Devils, and just Devils as well as Broncos/Trotters/Stallions/Colts/Thoroughbreds for horse-themed identities.

Hope this helps some of you!

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if you've seen it before, but Mascotdb.com has mascot names from a zillion different levels of sports. I use this list frequently as a starting point, it has the top 100 most used nicknames. If you click browse, you can sort through each letter, and clicking lists comes up with a bunch of cool categories for nicknames. This would be a great help to your list! Great idea for a thread.

spacer.png

Not sure if you've seen it before, but Mascotdb.com has mascot names from a zillion different levels of sports. I use this list frequently as a starting point, it has the top 100 most used nicknames. If you click browse, you can sort through each letter, and clicking lists comes up with a bunch of cool categories for nicknames. This would be a great help to your list! Great idea for a thread.

I've never heard of this site before. Thanks for the link!

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

1. A lot of these names are city/area-specific. For example, 76ers wouldn't work for a team in LA. Nor would the name Floridians for a team based in New Orleans. Of course, these are some of the most obvious examples.

Yeah like Lakers wouldn't work for a team in LA because there are no lakes.

Untitled.png

Awesome idea! I think this will be super helpful for a lot of people, including myself. Really great job putting this together, and thank you for doing so!

If I may suggest one to add that's Salt Lake specific, I've tossed around "47's" as a nickname in some personal concepts. It's a reference to the pioneers who came to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Awesome idea! I think this will be super helpful for a lot of people, including myself. Really great job putting this together, and thank you for doing so!

If I may suggest one to add that's Salt Lake specific, I've tossed around "47's" as a nickname in some personal concepts. It's a reference to the pioneers who came to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847.

Added.

Also, the list has grown to 550 Nicknames. Another note I'd like to add is that some of these nicknames are unused, as three of them are actually from the Hartford Yard Goats Name-the-Team contest. Hedgehogs, Whirlybirds, and CC's Huckleberries are on the list despite never being used as an actual team name.

Today I added another boat-load of names, such as:

JEEPS

48ERS

86ERS

NAILERS

NEON

WHIRLYBIRDS

CRUSHERS

SLAMMERS

CROSSCUTTERS

SPIKES

NINE

GHOSTS

VOYAGERS (different from the already-included Voyag(uers/eurs)

MIRACLE

CHUKARS

RASCALS

PAINTS

INTIMIDATORS

GRASSHOPPERS

TOURISTS

... and several others.

I took some looks, and I think I came up with some names that didn't appear to be on there. It was hard to come up with, this list is very good already! Anyway, here they are...

Rush, Conspiracy, Steampunks, Radicals, Wildfire, Zulus, Roman, Olympians, Ninjas, Timber Rattlers, Kingfish

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

Archived