NBA Rebrand :: Sonics Added! - 31/31

derschwigg

Hello once again, everyone! If you've been on the boards for some time, you may have seen me post concepts like this before. I've done MLB, I did NFL, and recently, I asked on Twitter which one I should tackle next. How it works is: imagine if every team in the league got a rebrand/refresh. New wordmarks, new primary, sometimes, new colors. Sometimes old throwback colors! Who knows?! Traditionally speaking, I have not done uniforms for the rebranding effort - but, if someone wanted to do that, you're more than welcome to. Just be sure to credit me for the work I've done.

But without further ado, here's the new look Raptors.

nSQm7PY.png

__

If you're just joining us, here's what's been up so far:

Toronto Raptors (EDITED)

Boston Celtics Fauxback

Los Angeles Lakers (EDITED)

Phoenix Suns (EDITED)

Washington Wizards WITH TIMELAPSE VIDEO! (EDITED)

Dallas Mavericks

Charlotte Hornets (EDITED)

Minnesota Timberwolves

Orlando Magic

Sacramento Kings

Denver Nuggets

Cleveland Cavaliers

Houston Rockets

Atlanta Hawks

Milwaukee Bucks

San Antonio Spurs

Memphis Grizzlies

Indiana Pacers (Edited!)

Utah Jazz

Los Angeles Clippers

Miami Heat

Oklahoma City Thunder (Edited!)

Brooklyn Nets (Edited!)

Detroit Pistons

Portland Trail Blazers

Philadelphia Sixers (Edited!)

New York Knicks

Golden State Warriors

Chicago Bulls

New Orleans Pelicans
Seattle Sonics

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good so far, I agree the tongue looks a little off. So is 1/31 a typo or are you adding an expansion team to the NBA in this series? Nice job so far. I'm excited to see the rest.

Probably the Sonics

I'm not really liking how the logo has both blocky and curved sections, they look really awkward next to each other to me. I think it would look better if you tried to stick to one or the other as much as possible, either go full out with the blocky look or get rid of it. A couple other minor things: the teeth should stretch farther back on the mouth and the left "eyebrow" looks a little off. It's a great start, I'd much rather see this than their boring new roundel.

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

Looks good so far, I agree the tongue looks a little off. So is 1/31 a typo or are you adding an expansion team to the NBA in this series? Nice job so far. I'm excited to see the rest.

Probably the Sonics

Yeah, you are probably right. I'm still disappointed the Sonics aren't around anymore.

If this was the 90s I could see this logo working but it seems out of place with some of more recent logos. Maybe there's too much going on? Try simplifying the design a bit and maybe not using four colours?

I think the 90's type aesthetic works for this, but as SplashBoogie said you could maybe go to simplify some of the details a bit more.

On the whole, this is a great first go! Looking forward to more.

This is a nice start. I like how you brought purple back, and the font works well with the logo itself. Good work.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

He's alive! Glad to see you back to take on another series. I love what you did with the MLB and NFL, and I expect no different from this series. I'm excited to see what you come up with. As for the Raptors logo, I disagree with the comments above and I think the tongue looks fine. I don't know what it is (it might be the eye) but something gives me a really strong dinosaur vibe on this logo which I really like (the current Raptor's logo set doesn't).

Also, are you going to do more progression videos for this series? I enjoyed those in your last series.

NEWSGG copy.png

Thanks for the kind words, all!

I personally like the contrast between the angles and the smooth parts on this mark, so I likely won't be editing that bit.

He's alive! Glad to see you back to take on another series. I love what you did with the MLB and NFL, and I expect no different from this series. I'm excited to see what you come up with. As for the Raptors logo, I disagree with the comments above and I think the tongue looks fine. I don't know what it is (it might be the eye) but something gives me a really strong dinosaur vibe on this logo which I really like (the current Raptor's logo set doesn't).

Also, are you going to do more progression videos for this series? I enjoyed those in your last series.

Thanks, and yes, time lapses are going to be back.

This is a nice start. I like how you brought purple back, and the font works well with the logo itself. Good work.

Even though it IS the WWU vikings

I'm afraid I don't see what that has to do with THIS design...?

Looks great! Imagine a "Raptors" logo with an actual dinosaur... Any plans for uniforms?

As I said in the OP, I traditionally haven't done uniforms. I can do them, but admittedly, they're not my strong suit. If someone wants to collaborate and make uniforms, all they'd need to do is ask.

If this was the 90s I could see this logo working but it seems out of place with some of more recent logos. Maybe there's too much going on? Try simplifying the design a bit and maybe not using four colours?

4 Color logos are actually pretty common. IE: Minnesota Timberwolves. But in the design world, Black and White typically don't "count" as colors since they're significantly cheaper to get ink for. You're also forgetting - it might be out of place with the CURRENT logos, but this concept won't be using those, save for one that I've refreshed/modernized. I'll be posting that one later tonight.

The toungue looks off. I don't really like how it sits in the mouth like that.

How would you fix it?

How would you fix it?

To my eye, it is a clash of the rest of the head having some visual depth, while the tongue is drawn in more 2D. This applies to the teeth, too- adding some teeth behind the tongue may help for both.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

How would you fix it?

To my eye, it is a clash of the rest of the head having some visual depth, while the tongue is drawn in more 2D. This applies to the teeth, too- adding some teeth behind the tongue may help for both.

can't unsee.

tinysig.jpg

Archived