NBA Rebrand :: Sonics Added! - 31/31

derschwigg

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stache is slightly too thick, but there's another issue too.

The beard has marron in it, yet the rest of the face is plain navy. Is there a reason for that?

It's a hair vs. skin difference. I could shift it to white, it wouldn't be tough to do.

I think that may make it look better.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but for some reason the sword looks like a screwdriver at first glance.

Aside from that, this is miles and away better than anything the Cavs have had.

Here's the shift! I made the stache a bit smaller/narrower, and shifted the red hair highlights to white.

Lc2umE6.png

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

Take your time with these. They all look rushed. I had the same problem when I started in 2005. (I.e. "I was able to crank out the Suns today!") Refine them. Let your eyes off them for a few days. Revisit them. You can't Hulk through these.

Ask yourself if you can really see a team adopting it, a hall of famer wearing it and fans wearing the marks on apparel.

Mavericks look demonic. That said, their current horse head also looks like it's on amphetamines.

A lot of your typography and wordmarks need help. Majority are overly aggressive.

Your profile views and character marks (I.e. raptors, cavs, hornets, wolves) are disproportionate. They don't flow smoothly, as one holistic view icon/logo mark. The angle of the view are in most cases not consistent. The Cav has no neck and his head looks like it's tilting to the side. Wolf head looks like it's in a fish eye view, which makes it look more cutesy than it does refined or timeless.

Check your line weights across the board - (outlines, highlights, word marks).

Check your logo-to-word mark size ratio. Also be conscious of how the two interact together. Many are too big for the other and vice versa; or just plopped on top.

Also, color balance. The hornets word mark has way too much purple in comparison to the logo. This wordmark's "squeeze" effect also looks very forced.

Wizards with just the Capitol building will not work as primary imagery. The bball ceiling is a nice idea, but overall it's not as seamless as their current brand, which is definitely the best in their history. It's not a government organization.

Lakers wordmark looks like it's trying to hard. The Lakers are a finesse team, a classic team and doesn't need to fall into trendiness. Tone down the serifs and the shear.

The Suns word marks are the most plausible and the best thing so far to me. Celtics are also the most realistic update.

Slow down and you can likely make these a lot better. Look at other logos and study what makes them work; the nuances, the little things. Right now, you're missing the little things.

Thanks, Ian. I appreciate your commentary.

It's difficult for me to truly take my time on these because, simply put, this is also my job. I do these projects as a means to try new techniques and methods to keep me fresh for my day job, and usually happen in the twilight hour. Work's been kicking my ass lately, so this has been more of a "needed break" project. So: Are they perfect? No, far from it. But much of what you've mentioned, I've already made note that I would be revisiting and editing as time permits. The Lakers, as a whole identity, I'll be scrapping and starting over. My presentation tends to be icon above, wordmark below. I see them as separate elements that, unless incorporated (like the Suns), aren't meant to be used as a tandem. That's how I've done it for the MLB and NFL as well, so for the sake of consistency, I kept it going. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Derschwigg, these are phenomenal! I have lurked on many of your projects and I am amazed. You have a real talent and I love these! Now I know you have probably answered this before, but why don't you do jerseys? Also, I have a suggestion for the Wizards. I feel like it is lacking a simple logo that you can use. When I make a logo (which don't look nearly as good as you) I imagine it as a logo on a polo. It needs to be simple yet identifiable. You keep doing you man. You're dong great!

I saw that you would need someone to help make uniforms. I mean I only really know about hockey sweaters, but I guess if it's a tag team it might work...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

My only gripe with the Rockets logo is that it could be difficult for some people to recognize that it's an "H".. It kinda looks like a rocket "paused" above a "pause" sign.. I'm not sure what the answer is, maybe some sort of serifs or slightly more italicizing? Either way, it already looks awesome, as do all the others.. I'm loving this series

I love the look of the Rocket and the flames, but i'm not sure "H" for the city name should be used as a primary logo. It looks like a fantastic secondary logo though. "R" for Rockets need to be the primary. If you could incorporate the rocket taking off from bottom right to the middle left of the R, maybe that could work? Or you could keep as is and try and make the lower case h stand out in the R like the current primary "R" logo.

In all honestly, I don't like the shape of the "O" in the font. It's too sharp. If the font was slightly more rounded and the "H" was changed to an "R", this logo would look better.

Either that or bring back the Moon-Basketball. That was the only good thing about that 90's logo.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Archived