The Professional Quidditch Association- UPDATE: San Francisco (2/29)

suplauren

Hi all!

Today I want to introduce you all to my first full-league concept. My goal is to start by releasing the logo sets for each team, including at least a primary logo and wordmark. Then I will move on to uniforms, and if there's interest, I'll draft up pitch designs, mock-ups of players, and merch concepts.

Some of you may have heard of the sport of quidditch. If you want more info on the rules, please check out this link here for a good primer: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/21/sport/quidditch-mudbloods/

The league I've conceptualized is set in an alternate reality where quidditch was actually invented about the same time as Ultimate Frisbee, and has developed at a similar pace. Ultimate currently has a few professional leagues in our reality, and in the alternate reality 2015 marks the launch of the first professional quidditch league: the Professional Quidditch Association (PQA).

The PQA's launch includes 8 teams in both the US and Canada. Teams are generally located in areas with strong collegiate and community programs in our universe. There are 2 divisions: East and West.

PQA EAST:

PQA WEST:

Here is the PQA logo:

HPg59G9.png

And here are the current individualized logos for the 8 teams:

r2YEC84.png

Let me know what you think of the league logo and the current color combos! And feel free to guess who is who :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The snitch is actually a pretty unattractive visual element- it's a tennis ball in a sock. I'm going to steer clear of any Harry Potter references that aren't actually used in the sport. We do still use broomsticks with bristles at high level tournaments, but the sport will probably be moving away from those in the next 5-ish years.

There is a book written by J.K. Rowling called Quidditch Through the Ages which had paragraphs for each team, including color schemes, names, cities, and sometime cloak designs. You should check it out, unless you just want the teams to be American.

And no Boston? C'mon man!

SB%2001%2003%2004%2015_zpsuc4ldp3t.pngNBA%20All_zpsgzk5pipt.pngSC%2029%2039%2041%2070%2072%2011_zpspiuwWS%2003%2012%2015%2016%2018%2004%2007%20

I want to say that the colors are

New York: Top Row, Number One
Chicago: Bottom Row, Number Two
Ohio: Bottom Row Number One
Toronto Top Row Number Four
Los Angeles Top row Number Three

Dallas Top Row Number Two
San Francisco Bottom Row Number Three
Vancouver Bottom Row Number Four

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

There is a book written by J.K. Rowling called Quidditch Through the Ages which had paragraphs for each team, including color schemes, names, cities, and sometime cloak designs. You should check it out, unless you just want the teams to be American.

And no Boston? C'mon man!

This is based off of real quidditch! Check out http://www.usquidditch.org/for what the current state of quidditch is. New York is my current New England-y area team. If there's enough interest and I have enough drive, Boston could definitely be an expansion team, because there's a lot of quidditch activity there.

I want to say that the colors are

New York: Top Row, Number One

Chicago: Bottom Row, Number Two

Ohio: Bottom Row Number One

Toronto Top Row Number Four

Los Angeles Top row Number Three

Dallas Top Row Number Two

San Francisco Bottom Row Number Three

Vancouver Bottom Row Number Four

You got one right! :)

Oh Which one did I get right?

Vancouver!

Awesome to see someone doing this! I've thought it would be a cool idea for a series ever since the MLQ and their team logos were announced; I'm looking forward to seeing how your league looks.

I was actually one of the first designers that MLQ contacted. But then it turned out they didn't want me to design so much as trace over other people's work from dribbble... so I bailed on that real quick. My disappointment with MLQ is part of what spurred me on to actually make this league concept!

Thank you so much everyone for your interest! I'll be posting the first team shortly...

DALLAS

Everything is bigger in Texas. Especially quidditch. Texas has made a name for itself in recent years as the home of the top quidditch programs in the world: UT Austin, Texas State, Baylor, and Lone Star QC are all perennial powerhouses, among other teams. Texas style quidditch is known for being unforgiving- tackles are heavily emphasized, and players and teams are extremely serious.

I chose to base my Texas franchise in the largest metro area in the state- Dallas. Then I started looking around for mascot ideas. I quickly came across the Flying Red Horse. The Magnolia Petroleum company (later Mobil Oil) erected a large neon light of their logo, the red pegasus, long ago. It's since become a symbol of the city in general. I found this emblem from the Magnolia Building, and I knew I had my mascot:

F8LXuCvm.jpg

Proudly presenting the first team in the MLQ, the

DALLAS LIGHTNING

XndSs7W.png

The logo set is fairly straightforward. The secondary logo is heavily inspired by the pose of the Flying Red Horse. Team colors were chosen as a combination of the very Texan red, white, and blue, and the Cowboys' blue and silver.

I love feedback! Let me know what you think!

It will be interesting to see the designs. I read through the scoring rules for real-life quidditch and must say it is a great improvement to have the snitch only be worth 30 points instead of 150 or whatever it was in the books. The version presented in the books was so ridiculous. Imagine a real-life equivalent: the Seahawks are destroying the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII, but the drama between Manning vs. the Legion of Boom is only an interesting side show to the main event. Both kickers run out onto the field and try hitting 70 yard field goals. The first kicker to make the field goal gains 50 points and the game ends. The Seahawks lead the Broncos 36-0 towards the end of the third quarter, but then Matt Prater trots on to the field in a pause in the action and drills the 70 yarder. Game over. Seahawks 36, Broncos 50. And the Broncos are the world champions.

(I must say that I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books, but it was painfully obvious that Rowling pays no attention to sports; did no editor try to get her to manipulate the scoring so the rest of the game was so meaningless?)

Edit: I see you did post the first design before I submitted my post. Dallas looks good; the pegasus makes sense for a quidditch team. The emphasis in your logos is in the pegasus is so strong that I didn't even realize they were called the lightning for a while. I would either change the name or emphasize lightning a bit more (how about adding lightning bolts to the secondary logo like the Magnolia Building emblem has).

award%20sig.png

It will be interesting to see the designs. I read through the scoring rules for real-life quidditch and must say it is a great improvement to have the snitch only be worth 30 points instead of 150 or whatever it was in the books. The version presented in the books was so ridiculous. Imagine a real-life equivalent: the Seahawks are destroying the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII, but the drama between Manning vs. the Legion of Boom is only an interesting side show to the main event. Both kickers run out onto the field and try hitting 70 yard field goals. The first kicker to make the field goal gains 50 points and the game ends. The Seahawks lead the Broncos 36-0 towards the end of the third quarter, but then Matt Prater trots on to the field in a pause in the action and drills the 70 yarder. Game over. Seahawks 36, Broncos 50. And the Broncos are the world champions.

(I must say that I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books, but it was painfully obvious that Rowling pays no attention to sports; did no editor try to get her to manipulate the scoring so the rest of the game was so meaningless?)

Edit: I see you did post the first design before I submitted my post. Dallas looks good; the pegasus makes sense for a quidditch team. The emphasis in your logos is in the pegasus is so strong that I didn't even realize they were called the lightning for a while. I would either change the name or emphasize lightning a bit more (how about adding lightning bolts to the secondary logo like the Magnolia Building emblem has).

From what I remember, JK Rowling actually hates sports and wrote quidditch with purposefully dumb rules. The only reason the snitch is worth so much is because Harry is the seeker :P

I definitely feel you with the lack of lightning. I was inspired partially by the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders, who used a pegasus as their mascot. I was messing around with lightning behind the pegasus in the secondary but I gave up. Maybe I'll go back and add one in. I think they'll be more boldly Lightning when I design the uniforms.

Oh Which one did I get right?

Vancouver!

Awesome to see someone doing this! I've thought it would be a cool idea for a series ever since the MLQ and their team logos were announced; I'm looking forward to seeing how your league looks.

I was actually one of the first designers that MLQ contacted. But then it turned out they didn't want me to design so much as trace over other people's work from dribbble... so I bailed on that real quick. My disappointment with MLQ is part of what spurred me on to actually make this league concept!

Thank you so much everyone for your interest! I'll be posting the first team shortly...

Knowing that I don't feel bad in seconding the opinion that the MLQ logos were rather disappointing to me as well, and now I know why. Many of those logos just felt generic and unoriginal to me so I'm not surprised if they were trace jobs.

Onto the Dallas design, I am really liking this! I kind of agree with davidmiller5 that the lightning could be emphasized more in the logos; the primary and partial seem pretty good to me but it could show up more in the secondary. I can see a couple lightning bolt type shapes in the wing of the secondary- maybe making those white and more closely resembling the lightning bolts in the primary logo would help to increase the lightning emphasis without taking away from what is otherwise an excellent logo. Nice work!

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

Dallas looks great!!!

My guesses for the colors are

New York: Top Row #4

Chicago: Bottom Row #3

Ohio: Top Row #1

Toronto: Top Row #3

LA: Top Row #2

Dallas: Bottom Row #2 (Already unveiled)

Vancouver: Bottom Row #4 (Already Unveiled)

San Fran: Bottom Row #1

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Guest darkpiranha

Liking everything I'm seeing so far except for the font on the PQA. I know you probably don't want to go sterotypically Harry Potter-style fonts, but I'd maybe play around with font choice that evoke something a bit more ancient and magical and timeless than that block font.

Archived