CFL modernizing

Christian Legault

I decided to re do the CFL logos because most of them are awful.

Some of them turned out well, and some i'm not totally satisfied.

MTL_zpsf4rwrfyj.png

wpg_zpsbrnrqyky.pngEDM_zpsnbfcfvln.pngSas_zpsmcq4obsc.pngBC_zpszrf2jqc6.pngCalgary_zpsdbdimin6.pngott_zpsfjgxgnyc.pngmy favorites are ottawa and montreal.

working on toronto right now. Hamilton will be hard to do since they have a good logo. We'll see what happens

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Twitter: @lestoplegault - Email: Christiantlegault@gmail.com Blog: http://legaultdesigns.blogspot.ca/

My favorites are Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Montreal. Saskatchewan Is a bit too plain imo. The Lion for the BC Lions logo looks a bit off to me. I like the Red Blacks one as well. Overall nice job.

Montreal: Looks good

Winnipeg: THIS IS PERFECT! Much better than a plain W...

Eskimos: I might be picky as an Edmontonian... Looks good, but I think an oval would still work better than the circle, especially with your Riders logo also being a circle. I like the elimination of black, however.

Saskatchewan: 2 Rs for Roughriders might look better... however, I like everything else on this one.

BC: Nice attempt, but the lion seems off.

Calgary: Looks great, maybe incorporate some white?

Ottawa: Perfect once again

Great work!

I have mixed feelings. You've done good work. Yes, the CFL has some odd and uninspired logos, but some have been around so long, "Tradition" becomes a big thing to overcome.

I like the Winnipeg one the best, as a clever literal interpretation of the name, including a football bomb. Their name was inspired by the boxer Joe Louis, the "Brown Bomber," by the way.

As a lifelong Eskimos fan, I don't find this version to be better than the existing one. That's a harpoon tip, right?

Saskatchewan is rather generic- similar to a local effort for the WHL Swift Current Broncos. 44346592015.gif

BC's lion is too chopped up- hard to know what part we're looking at.

Calgary's current horse, while suspiciously similar to Ford's Mustang logo, has that Tradition thing going for it. The design with the horseshoe and "Calgary" on a banner could easily be mistaken for the University of Calgary (the horse doesn't look like a dinosaur, though).

Ottawa looks okay, but once again, Tradition says they need a big white R on black.

Montréal's current logo has the least Tradition behind it, as they have had a lot of different logos and looks over the years. This concept is basically a close-up of the current horned lark (alouette), however. I think this team has the greatest opportunity for coming up with something new and creative.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

I have mixed feelings. You've done good work. Yes, the CFL has some odd and uninspired logos, but some have been around so long, "Tradition" becomes a big thing to overcome.

I like the Winnipeg one the best, as a clever literal interpretation of the name, including a football bomb. Their name was inspired by the boxer Joe Louis, the "Brown Bomber," by the way.

As a lifelong Eskimos fan, I don't find this version to be better than the existing one. That's a harpoon tip, right?

Saskatchewan is rather generic- similar to a local effort for the WHL Swift Current Broncos. 44346592015.gif

BC's lion is too chopped up- hard to know what part we're looking at.

Calgary's current horse, while suspiciously similar to Ford's Mustang logo, has that Tradition thing going for it. The design with the horseshoe and "Calgary" on a banner could easily be mistaken for the University of Calgary (the horse doesn't look like a dinosaur, though).

Ottawa looks okay, but once again, Tradition says they need a big white R on black.

Montréal's current logo has the least Tradition behind it, as they have had a lot of different logos and looks over the years. This concept is basically a close-up of the current horned lark (alouette), however. I think this team has the greatest opportunity for coming up with something new and creative.

Ottawa when they had the renegades name. Didn't even have an R as the logo, so I'm really happy with how otta turned out. As for the lion head I definetly need to rework it. And correct it is a harpoon. I will also try and play around with that. And as for calagry the horse in my logo has the exact same shape as the current one. It just has detail in it.

Thanks for feedback.

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Twitter: @lestoplegault - Email: Christiantlegault@gmail.com Blog: http://legaultdesigns.blogspot.ca/

Guest darkpiranha

Nice stuff all around so far, but I agree that Edmonton kind of needs it to be an oval. That shape is as iconic to the team as the oval is for the Packers.

Montreal - very nice, but opposite of the direction some are wanting with various recreations of older logos, etc.. But still, I like it.

Winnipeg - one of the best of the bunch.. They should adopt this asap!

Edmondton - I think it needs to stay oval for tradition's sake, although I'm fine with the round version (I actually prefer it), but the spearhead shape on the middle of the E just doesn't scream "Eskimo" to me.. Perhaps if it were a theme carried over across their entire brand, I could get behind it, but not a bad logo at all.

Saskatchewan - personally I love the look of the logo, but I HATE letter initials for nicknames, especially one that could carry a double initial.. I prefer that they currently use just the "S", but I think I prefer the look and vintage feel of yours.. If you ditched the R, it would be near perfect in my book

BC - great modernization of the logo, but certain areas of the lion seem as if the "stroke" and "fill" are almost inverted.. Particularly the nose and eye feel like they should be darker(black), surrounded by lighter(orange), but they're the opposite.. A few tweaks and this goes from feeling a bit "off" to great immediately.

Calgary - nice attempt at a rebrand, I just don't know how to feel since their SMU logo is so iconic for them.. Perhaps more horses and less horseshoe could convey the "stampeders" essence more, but that could be tough to do.. I'll call this one a strong logo that was poor for this team.

Ottawa - I really like how accurate this logo is, but for such a young team, I actually prefer their current for some reason.. I know you hit the nail on the head with the red R and black B, but all that white just doesn't have the same feel and fit their current branding and identity as much as their current does.. With a rebrand, your logo could work much better, but the black-heavy image they have now clashes with all that white in your logo..

I'd love to see you conceptualize some helmets and uniforms to help us see your vision and where you were going with some of these.. Might help our opinions to really know where you planned on taking these ideas across the entire brands

Montreal -- Love the angry bird, very nice treatment, imo.

Winnipeg -- The more I look at it, the more I like it, with the bomb/football in the middle. Maybe make the laces a little more prominent on the bomb. The W is hard to see around the bomb/football, though. Still a great, great idea!

Edmonton -- I much prefer the classic oval logo, but it's ok. I didn't get the barbed spear point until WavePunter pointed it out, but now I see where you're going with it. The white highlights do make the letters look a bit shiny or balloonish.

Saskatchewan -- Very plain and not in keeping with a "modernization" of logos, imo. Maybe a rebrand with a stronger single S logo would work better?

Calgary -- A good start for a new idea for my Stamps. Again, like you said about Hamilton -- you can't really improve on the running horse logo. But this could be a good secondary logo idea.

BC Lions -- I love the modernized look of the lion head logo. Sharp. Excellent.

Ottawa -- Love the idea with the red R and black B inside the saw blade. One of my favorites!

Overall some great ideas!

22eb89183f6e207bcbce03d4e0b1474d.jpg

Saskatchewan

Because you are obviously talented, lemme make a suggestion

Make a modern and veery graphic logo with this

521-moiss-batt-cereales.jpg

I think it'd be very original plus give more diversity to your set, meaning less logos with big letters.

Winnipeg is awesome. Others are pretty decent - don't think the eskimo thing fully comes across as a harpoon, at least at first, and not completely sold on the balloonish letters. Edmonton football fans are pretty working class, it seems a bit cute, although I guess it would be cool if it was available as an alternate. I would try to make it less cute, maybe a bit sharper or blockier, but I think there are some really cool elements there. I might try adding an additional harpoon head, just so we can see how it looks. I don't know. Its cool, but I can't put my finger on what I dislike about it. Perhaps it's just that its a change haha, objectively it looks pretty cool.

Archived