Unpopular uniform/logo elements: who did them best?

MCM0313

A few examples:

---1990s teal: Original Grizzlies

---MLB light-blue road unis: Phillies or Expos (I actually like how that trend looked in general)

---NFL side panels: Broncos

---NFL piping: It all sucks. lol

---MLB/NBA roundel logo: Does the Celtics logo count?

---NCAAF BFBS: Washington Huskies

---NCAAF GFGS: Tennessee Volunteers (still prefer the orange)

---NCAABB BFBS: The vast majority suck so not sure.

---NCAABB GFGS: Maybe West Virginia

---NBA multicolored or gradient jersey: Kings half-and-half. Sorry, but the Raptors front-and-back annoyed the heck out of me and I was never enamored with the Hawks' mid-1990s look (though it has grown on me somewhat).

---NFL Nike rebrand: Seahawks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• 1990s teal: Original Hornets

MLB light-blue road unis: Phillies. I think the maroonish color they were wearing really played well with the powder blue. Royals a close second. Most of the rest were awful.

MLB pullovers: Pirates. Don't know why but it's the first that came to mind.

Sucking the brightness away: Edmonton Oilers. The pre-edge navy/copper/red look is my favorite of theirs

Name Change with no relocation: Florida to Miami Marlins. I prefer city names and like the alliteration

NHL Simplification: Coyotes 2003-2007

"Just add black trim": NY Jets of the early 1990s

NBA 1990s logos on front: Sonics...loved the color combo (OK, it was not really a logo but it was more than a wordmark)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 1990s teal: Original Hornets
  • MLB light-blue road unis: Phillies. I think the maroonish color they were wearing really played well with the powder blue. Royals a close second. Most of the rest were awful.
  • MLB pullovers: Pirates. Don't know why but it's the first that came to mind.
  • Sucking the brightness away: Edmonton Oilers. The pre-edge navy/copper/red look is my favorite of theirs
  • Name Change with no relocation: Florida to Miami Marlins. I prefer city names and like the alliteration
  • NHL Simplification: Coyotes 2003-2007
  • "Just add black trim": NY Jets of the early 1990s
  • NBA 1990s logos on front: Sonics...loved the color combo (OK, it was not really a logo but it was more than a wordmark)

Jets and Phillies both looked great. I'm not 100% sure what I think about the Oilers' look vis-a-vis what they have now and had before. I wish the copper were more copper and less gold. Sonics decent---looking back, it was more distinctive than its predecessor, although that was also pretty good. Marlins' uni change coinciding with their name change doesn't strike me as being a huge step up or down. The teal-and-black looked good at first, but it started to get old, especially as they used less and less teal. Coyotes I'm not sure of. Was that when they dropped the green and went to brick-and-white? I do think it suits them well.

As far as the Hornets, they pulled off their original color combo brilliantly, but I personally preferred the purple alts to the teal away jerseys, so I don't know that I can give them my vote in that category. Plus they were founded in 1988, so their teal predated (perhaps even touched off) the '90s craze.

Might be unpopular, but I like how the Magic have pinstripes on their jerseys. They pulled that off pretty nicely imo.

The original jerseys looked great. Not sure about current ones. Magic should always have pinstripes though imo.

Off the top of my head:

Omitted Color: Dallas Stars' lack of gold in current set

Best Neo-Retro: Toronto Blue Jays (Honorable mention: Phila 76ers)

GFGS:* Utah State Football

BSBF:* LA Lakers' Hollywood Nights (w/o sleeves)

Football side panels: Broncos (got it right the first time)

Sleeved basketball jersey: Former: LA Clippers' old light blue alts; Current: Washington Wizards pride jersey

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Off the top of my head:

Omitted Color: Dallas Stars' lack of gold in current set

Best Neo-Retro: Toronto Blue Jays (Honorable mention: Phila 76ers)

GFGS:* Utah State Football

BSBF:* LA Lakers' Hollywood Nights (w/o sleeves)

Football side panels: Broncos (got it right the first time)

Sleeved basketball jersey: Former: LA Clippers' old light blue alts; Current: Washington Wizards pride jersey

I could see Utah State looking pretty good in gray. Not the Lakers in black, though---yech! Too much tradition with this team's unis to mess around by adding a jersey in a non-team color. (Yes, I know they've had black alts for years. I still don't like the idea.)

---1990s teal: Hornets

---MLB light-blue road unis: Phillies (bringing the 80s maroon/light blue would be great) Expos, royals

---NFL side panels: Broncos (ugh, the Dragon that needs to be slayed)

---NFL piping: can't think of a good one.

---NBA roundel logo: Brooklyn

---NCAAF BFBS: Washington Huskies (can't think of any I liked besides this, and this is bad)

---NCAAF GFGS: burn em all

---NCAABB BFBS: Burn em all

---NCAABB GFGS: Baylor womens was ok

---NFL Nike rebrand: Dolphins

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

BFBS Minnesota North Stars. These are still the best sweaters in franchise history, in my opinion.

modanonorthstars_zpsnk0jpx5o.jpg

Pipes and Panels New England Patriots. I don't know why, it just doesn't seem as obnoxious here.

ap_bears_patriots_football_68293336_zps4

Darkening the Colours New York Islanders. The Oilers and Islanders would have achieved perfect balance had the Oilers held onto the classic royal and orange. The Oilers' navy set just looks drab in hindsight, while the Islanders' navy update still pops, thanks to the orange not being touched. The navy also helped the Islanders distance their identity a bit further from the Rangers, who are famous for their royal blue sweaters.

p1_peca_all_zpshsfwo4ye.jpg

Gradient Phoenix Suns. This might be the greatest basketball uniform of all time.

e9e367dded3161868bb7be6649826f53_zps40oj

Roundel Philadelphia 76ers. The colours. The stars. The fact that the central emblem is already circular. It all works.

7034_philadelphia_76ers-primary-2016_zps

Double Blue Denver Nuggets. I feel like this look finally gave the Nuggets an identity after both the dated rainbow look and the nondescript navy/maroon/faded gold look.

CarmeloAnthonyDenverNuggetsvLosAngelesz6

Trendy 90s Colours San Jose Sharks. I feel like this set hit a perfect balance. A solid logo set. Trendy colours reflective of the team's origins. A traditional template that grounded the trendy colour scheme. The Sharks got it right on the first go-around.

0403_Errey_zpsaj27isvu.jpg

Singular Name Miami Heat. It's the only singular name that doesn't bother or annoy me. It just works.

tim-hardaway_zpshz8qv7dj.jpg

Dwyane_Wade_Wizards_vs_Heat_2010_zpsp5zy

NCAA GFGS Washington State University Cougars. I just think it works.

wast-11-allgrey-steveconner-620x433_zpsc

^^^ I think the Patriots are able to pull off the side panels because They are barely noticeable in that picture (more noticeable on the whites, however). I'm not a fan of side panels, but somehow the Pats make them work.

EDIT: Okay, I'll contribute to this thread.

Best BFBS: Tie between the (currently) unused Florida State alternate from last year:

new-nike-fsu-seminoles-black-football-un

However, it could be argued that, since black is in their logo, it's not a true case of BFBS.

My other is Stanford:

stan1.jpg

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

The Patriots don't make them work. The side panels on the jerseys have always been wider than the pants stripes, and the piping on the jerseys is slightly thinner than the red outline on the pants. This results in a side panel that never lines up properly no matter what.

KzUqPzw.jpg

l89nZtz.jpg

Additionally, the combination of the side panels and the awkwardly-shaped shoulder swooshes has always looked awkward and busy. They really should have picked one or the other.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

^^^ I think the Patriots are able to pull off the side panels because They are barely noticeable in that picture (more noticeable on the whites, however). I'm not a fan of side panels, but somehow the Pats make them work.

EDIT: Okay, I'll contribute to this thread.

Best BFBS: Tie between the (currently) unused Florida State alternate from last year:

new-nike-fsu-seminoles-black-football-un

However, it could be argued that, since black is in their logo, it's not a true case of BFBS.

My other is Stanford:

stan1.jpg

I've always HATED Stanford's BFBS. Your nickname is a color. Wear that color.

BFBS Minnesota North Stars. These are still the best sweaters in franchise history, in my opinion.

modanonorthstars_zpsnk0jpx5o.jpg

Pipes and Panels New England Patriots. I don't know why, it just doesn't seem as obnoxious here.

ap_bears_patriots_football_68293336_zps4

Darkening the Colours New York Islanders. The Oilers and Islanders would have achieved perfect balance had the Oilers held onto the classic royal and orange. The Oilers' navy set just looks drab in hindsight, while the Islanders' navy update still pops, thanks to the orange not being touched. The navy also helped the Islanders distance their identity a bit further from the Rangers, who are famous for their royal blue sweaters.

p1_peca_all_zpshsfwo4ye.jpg

Gradient Phoenix Suns. This might be the greatest basketball uniform of all time.

e9e367dded3161868bb7be6649826f53_zps40oj

Roundel Philadelphia 76ers. The colours. The stars. The fact that the central emblem is already circular. It all works.

7034_philadelphia_76ers-primary-2016_zps

Double Blue Denver Nuggets. I feel like this look finally gave the Nuggets an identity after both the dated rainbow look and the nondescript navy/maroon/faded gold look.

CarmeloAnthonyDenverNuggetsvLosAngelesz6

Trendy 90s Colours San Jose Sharks. I feel like this set hit a perfect balance. A solid logo set. Trendy colours reflective of the team's origins. A traditional template that grounded the trendy colour scheme. The Sharks got it right on the first go-around.

0403_Errey_zpsaj27isvu.jpg

Singular Name Miami Heat. It's the only singular name that doesn't bother or annoy me. It just works.

tim-hardaway_zpshz8qv7dj.jpg

Dwyane_Wade_Wizards_vs_Heat_2010_zpsp5zy

NCAA GFGS Washington State University Cougars. I just think it works.

wast-11-allgrey-steveconner-620x433_zpsc

I guess that sun is a gradient---never really thought of that before. I love that jersey plus the red Heat jersey Tim Hardaway's wearing a bit farther down. I don't think Wazzu qualifies as GFGS, though, since silver/gray is one of their school colors. Could be why they look so good in it, eh?

Archived