Who to support in the NFL

IanC

A bit like the thread about the Premier League but coming from the UK and not really being into American Football I am willing to give it a go and follow a team. This stems from the International games are going to be played at Tottenhams new stadium when completed. So I need to get into it as I will probably be attending quite a few of the games over the next few years.

So I am asking who to support?

Reasons why?

Who has the best fans?

glory10.png

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wait a few years for the London Jaguars.

Joking aside, I am a San Diego Chargers fan. It has its obvious ups and downs but one thing that may not be immediately obvious is that because they are on the West coast, watching their games live on TV from the UK often means staying awake into the early hours of the morning.

I guess it's similar to the Premier League thread. Watch some games (Sky Sports has great NFL coverage if you have it), see if a particular team catches your eye. With the way that the NFL works, most teams will fluctuate from being good to bad because the worst teams get to select players higher up in the draft. Of course there are exceptions but it's not like the Premier League where you expect Manchester United to be one of the top teams forever for example.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

I'm a Seattle fan... you asked who has the best fan base, it's clearly Seattle. The 12th Man lives up here and nearly everyone fears the 12th Man because they're capable of being so loud that offenses tend to get a ton of false starts.

Not to mention that you would be backing a winner. Since you already back a winner in Hotspur, why not back another one in Seattle?

Depends on what you're looking for in a team. I not going to be greedy and tell you to be a Carolina Panthers fan(though we are one of the most polite fan bases in the league ;)), just watch and develop an affection for a team. There are, of course, the teams that are your current or traditionally elite teams, which many glory chase here in the U.S., but since you're new to the game, it's fine to get acclimated with them along with the game. The Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, Broncos, Packers, and Seahawks are in this category. There are also teams that have problems, team or management, that you probably should stray away from. The Rams and Raiders both could move to LA soon, so I would probably wait until one does if those are the teams you are looking at, and Washington is just a mess in its current form. Every other team is in a varying middle range of "could become elite this year" or "just treading water". Just look up some teams, watch a few games, and just find a team that you really like.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Just wait a few years for the London Jaguars.

Joking aside, I am a San Diego Chargers fan. It has its obvious ups and downs but one thing that may not be immediately obvious is that because they are on the West coast, watching their games live on TV from the UK often means staying awake into the early hours of the morning.

I guess it's similar to the Premier League thread. Watch some games (Sky Sports has great NFL coverage if you have it), see if a particular team catches your eye. With the way that the NFL works, most teams will fluctuate from being good to bad because the worst teams get to select players higher up in the draft. Of course there are exceptions but it's not like the Premier League where you expect Manchester United to be one of the top teams forever for example.

Pretty much this. Watch a few games. There could be a uniform that pops out. A player on a certain team will become your favorite player that will make you close to the team. It takes time. I am a huge Lions fan and have been one since I was young. Being from Michigan has helped, but watching Barry Sanders helped format the fact. It'll take time. But don't let anyone else influence you, be your own fan

Depends on why you'd like a team to which you have no connection:

The league has four teams that have national following and are definitely the four most important franchises. If you want to follow a team like that go for one of these: Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, Patriots. Of those four, if you want a guarantee that they'll forever be important, the Patriots may come off of your list. If you want a polarizing team so you can have "friends" and "enemies." go for the the Cowboys. If you want to take the team that is most well-liked yet hated by nobody (outside of division rival fans), then go for the Packers.

Rabid fanbase? Packers, Broncos, Seahawks.

Team from recognizable city? Giants. Stepchild team from city? Jets. Or maybe you wait to see who ends up in LA. New beginning; you can get in on the ground floor.

Maybe you want a losing tradition; root for the underdog: Cardinals (who are decent right now), Jaguars, Texans.

Or a team that has a history of being competitive but not being able to finish off the season (rendering it HUGE deal to the fanbase if they ever actually do win a Super Bowl). Nobody better than the Vikings.

Or maybe you want to figure out who will be participating in a lot of the international games...the NFL tends to label the teams with poor revenue-producing stadiums the "home" teams for the games. The Bills? Jags? Of course, the league's hope is that in a few years nobody will fit that bill.

Of course, we can come up with reasons for every team.

I would like to make a plug for my own team, the Vikings. But I cannot. They are the Cubs* of football. It's a frustrating team to follow. When their defense is great, their offense is mediocre and vice versa. At least as of a couple of years ago, the Vikings had been to the playoffs more than any team since the merger with the exception of the Cowboys. So it's not like they are just futile. But in the big game, they ALWAYS find a way to lose. Also, the fanbase may not be to your liking. The fans are always kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop. There is some fairweather-dome in Minnesota. But if you like purple...

*The pre-2004 Red Sox would have been a better analogy as the Red Sox had more history of being competitive and falling short.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Anyone but the Browns, Raiders, Jaguars, and Redskins. Awful teams that have been awful for some time and are run by imbeciles. You'd be doing yourself a favor.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I'd pick the Browns because they're a team with promise, but have never been good enough that people would call you a bandwagoner (even though you're from Europe). Awesome fanbase, although it may be hard to follow the team from England/Wales/Wherever you reside.

spacer.png

Are you someone who wants their team to win every regular season game then lose in the postseason to the Roanoke Community College Deviled Hams?

Are you someone who wants a quarterback where the words competent and incompetent can be used to describe him interchangeably?

Are you someone who wants to throw an owner into a river?

Bengals are your best bet.

If I were unaffiliated, I think it'd be fun to be a Cardinals fan. That's team is doing thing the right way and their coach is so likable.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm from LA, so I had the same problem growing up with no team, ultimately the Colts caught my eye with the comeback vs the pats the year they they won the title, so I'd look at which team entertains you the most.

The Colts are a young team that will be good and entertaining for a while, so they are a team to check out.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Archived