Who to support in the NFL

IanC

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats quite alot to read and look into. Thanks for all the advice. I very much doubt I would be Supporting the Jaguars even if they are the so called London franchise as their owner has made a mess of Fulham in the EPL and it will definitely not be Rams as thier owner owns my rival club team Arsenal in the EPL. So now I have to watch and and see who to take my chances with. It wil probably not be say one of the bigger franchises like the Patriots either. I prefer an underdog of a team hence why I support Tottenham in soccer.

glory10.png

The last year Spurs won the league was the same year that the Vikings came into existence, I believe. Our time has been about as painful as yours: after a surprisingly low number of typical expansion team years (i.e., sucking), we made the Super Bowl and got torn apart. No worries, we've got plenty of time to make it again. And we did. And lost again. And again. And then once more for good measure. The NFL Films highlights of the Vikings from the 70s include losing those four Super Bowls, losing a playoff game to the Cowboys on the final play (or at least one of the final plays) on what may have been a missed pass interference call, and one of the best players in franchise history running the wrong way and into his own end zone. And that's a shame, since the team was really good for about a decade, in particular the defense.

We made the playoffs a few times in the 80s, losing painfully to Washington at one point, then made it a lot more in the 90s. Of course, in the process, we gifted the Cowboys the foundation to their run of Super Bowls by trading for an aging running back, but let's ignore that for a moment. We again came within a play of making the Super Bowl after a 15-1 season, but our kicker, who was perfect all year, missed a field goal that would have won it, and the other team's kicker did not miss his.

We passed the ball a bunch until we started sucking and having lake orgies in the mid-2000s (this is where I began my fandom), but gradually got better until we managed two consecutive years of winning the division, only to lose to the Saints - who put a bounty on our 90-year-old quarterback that we kind of stole from the Packers - when on the final drive of the game, to send us to the Super Bowl, we ha ad twelve men in the huddle penalty, and then said 90-year-old quarterback threw across his body like a moron and turned the ball over. The Saints won in overtime, and when it turned out that ancient quarterbacks with bad legs don't stay healthy forever, we started sucking again the next year.

Two bad coaches later, we appear to be on the way up. Ignore the fact that our running back, who isn't really worth keeping on the team that much longer anyway, missed most of last year for beating his kid, and the front office is just kind of okay with holding onto him.

We moved into a dome in the early 80s, which was really loud inside (even after being caught piping in crowd noise) and a pretty cool scene, and that lasted for a few decades, until the roof collapsed under the weight of the snow and we got sick of peeing into troughs, so we're staying at a college stadium in Minneapolis while the new one, which looks like a modern art project instead of a stadium, is completed.

Oh, and we hate the Packers. I at least have begrudging respect for the franchise, but I don't know how common that is.

The short version: You will never trust a moment of happiness again.

- Minnesota Twins - Minnesota Golden Gophers - Dallas Stars - Dallas Mavericks - Norwich City FC -

- Texas Tech Red Raiders - FC Dallas - Minnesota Vikings - Borussia Dortmund -

As for the Tampa excerpt, I can't complain about much, except for his classification of the pirates in pewter pants having a "big" fanbase. That's just outright wrong.

When they won the Super Bowl I remember a lot of people liking the Bucs whom I'd never expect to like the Bucs. I'd bet that bandwagon has largely unloaded since.

Also, stop with the Cowboy sympathizing. The hell is wrong with you?

I just need some normality restored to the universe.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I feel like the Bucs were a lot of people's second team in those late 90's early 2000's years.

All the ingredients were there:

- They had been terrible forever so they weren't really offensive to anybody and it was nice to see them figure it out

- They had some fun brash players who kind of epitomized the piracy theme (Sapp especially).

- They played that brand of hard defense that can be a lot of fun.

- they had just gotten their cool new stadium with pirate ship, and they changed out of what many people considered the worst uniforms in sports* to awesome pewter and red with really cool flag logo.

By Gruden's late years they had become just another boring mediocre team, Rahim Morris and Schiano restored them to total irrelevance. Then they introduced the worst uniforms in the history of the NFL so most people have moved away from admiring them to complete indifference. That's where I stand at least.

*the creamsicles have gained some nostalgia-induced revisionist coolness, but at the time they were ugly and stale and had some nasty losing stink associated with them. Almost everybody welcomed the change to pewter.

PvO6ZWJ.png

There is only one team that compares to your soccer team. That will be the Oakland Raiders. Last truly successful back in the 80's winning the Superbowl. Tottenham were last truly great back then winning a European trophy. Raiders always seem to be buliding and not quite getting it right just like Tottenham. Tottenham fans are one of the best set of fans in the EPL from what I have seen on You Tube clips and you can't go far better than the Raider Nation.

It's a match made in heaven by what you have set out in the criteria you want. You will not go far wrong being a member of the Silver and Black Raider Nation.

I prefer an underdog of a team hence why I support Tottenham in soccer.

I'd say that the Lions or Browns should be your choice. Lots of history in years but not in success.

Oh come on, he said underdog... not cellar dweller.

I prefer an underdog of a team hence why I support Tottenham in soccer.

I'd say that the Lions or Browns should be your choice. Lots of history in years but not in success.

Oh come on, he said underdog... not cellar dweller.

Well at least the Lions have had SOME recent success.

Okay here's a list of some good underdogs if you mean it as non powerhose.

Texans

Bangles

Lions

Dolphins

Chargers

Ravens

Chiefs

Panters

Cardinals

Saints

Falcons

If you want the kind of under dog that are so bad their I'd humour in it then these are the teams to look into.

Jets

Raiders

Browns

Vikings

Redskins

The bears and 49ers are two historic teams that appear to be heading into big down period if that is intresting to you.

Then their is the most forgettable team in the NFL the Titans.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Okay here's a list of some good underdogs if you mean it as non powerhose.

Texans

Bangles

Lions

Dolphins

Chargers

Ravens

Chiefs

Panters

Cardinals

Saints

Falcons

If you want the kind of under dog that are so bad their I'd humour in it then these are the teams to look into.

Jets

Raiders

Browns

Vikings

Redskins

The bears and 49ers are two historic teams that appear to be heading into big down period if that is intresting to you.

Then their is the most forgettable team in the NFL the Titans.

I wouldn't go with the Bangles. They haven't had a hit since the 80's. Neither have the Bengals. Don't support them either.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If you want to support the team with the best colors, Miami is always an option. ;)

Then they'd have to root for someone else the other 14 games a year Miami isn't wearing their throwbacks.

I feel like the Bucs were a lot of people's second team in those late 90's early 2000's years.

They were for me.

- playing in NFC Central + South, away from the Patriots

- their best players were great athletes who lived up to their draft billing - I admire players who don't take their foot off the gas after they turn pro.

- I hate the Eagles, Vikings, Washington, Falcons, & pretty much all those poser NFC teams who think they're great.

- while I like when the Raiders do well, because we all love a competitive foil, and I might hate the Broncos most of all, Rich Gannon was a d-bag.

I suppose I've always liked the Bucs; their Battles of the Bays with the Packers were great fun.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

If I had to pick a team for Ian, other than the one I made perfectly clear, I'd probably say the Chiefs. The Packers, for all their populist spirit, are hard to fully embrace if you're not from and of the Midwest: everyone's welcome, but I submit that you can't fully get the whole Packer thing if you're not local. I don't think there's anything like that with Kansas City, which is a normal-ish mid-sized American city. The team is okay, the fans are good, and the Hunt family has always championed soccer in the United States. They'll probably give you NFL parity at its best: probably won't make the playoffs, but might.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

All the ingredients were there:

- They had been terrible forever so they weren't really offensive to anybody and it was nice to see them figure it out

- They had some fun brash players who kind of epitomized the piracy theme (Sapp especially).

- They played that brand of hard defense that can be a lot of fun.

- they had just gotten their cool new stadium with pirate ship, and they changed out of what many people considered the worst uniforms in sports* to awesome pewter and red with really cool flag logo.

By Gruden's late years they had become just another boring mediocre team, Rahim Morris and Schiano restored them to total irrelevance. Then they introduced the worst uniforms in the history of the NFL so most people have moved away from admiring them to complete indifference. That's where I stand at least.

*the creamsicles have gained some nostalgia-induced revisionist coolness, but at the time they were ugly and stale and had some nasty losing stink associated with them. Almost everybody welcomed the change to pewter.

I was a huge FSU fan in the 90s (I still am a fan of them today) and I liked Warrick Dunn and Derrick Brooks. Those two were the main reason I liked those Bucks teams. The Creamsicles and the Pewters were a huge reason too. :)

Archived