Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics

fouhy12

Desmond Howard had two firsts. He was the first defensive and special teams player to win the Heisman Trophy. And he was the first special teams player to win the Pete Rozelle Trophy (Super bowl MVP).

Desmond Howard never played defense. You have confused him with Charles Woodson.

During his career, Nolan Ryan recorded exactly 5,000 more strikeouts than Babe Ruth hit home runs (5,714 / 714).

The originally intended name for the Dallas Cowboys was the Texas Rangers.

The Chicago White Sox and San Francisco Giants each were tentatively sold to buyers who would have moved them to Tampa, but in each case MLB stepped in to prevent it.

At one point in the early history of the NBA, the city of Chicago (six - Cubs, White Sox, Bears, Cardinals, Black Hawks, Zephyrs) was home to more "big four" professional sports franchises than any other city, equalled only by New York (Dodgers, Giants, Yankees, Giants, Knickerbockers, Rangers).

Philadelphia is the only city (I think - I'm writing this at 5am while half-asleep so I could be wrong about this one) to have lost both professional baseball (A's) and basketball (Warriors) franchises, yet which has both professional baseball (Phillies) and basketball (76ers) franchises today.

By the time they had taken the court as an expansion team, the Miami Heat had already signed a player to a contract whose total value exceeded its expansion fee (Rony Seikaly - sp?)

New York metropolian area technicality has nine teams now (Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders, and Devils).

Thus the qualifier "At one point in the early history of the NBA..."

Actually ... that wouldn't be the Zephyrs/Packers team (1961-63), it would have been the Stags (1946-50) ... if you're including the Giants and Dodgers (who both skipped down in '57).

But, it still holds true in '61 when the Giants and Dodgers were in California and the Mets weren't active yet until the next year.

During his career, Nolan Ryan recorded exactly 5,000 more strikeouts than Babe Ruth hit home runs (5,714 / 714).

The originally intended name for the Dallas Cowboys was the Texas Rangers.

The Chicago White Sox and San Francisco Giants each were tentatively sold to buyers who would have moved them to Tampa, but in each case MLB stepped in to prevent it.

At one point in the early history of the NBA, the city of Chicago (six - Cubs, White Sox, Bears, Cardinals, Black Hawks, Zephyrs) was home to more "big four" professional sports franchises than any other city, equalled only by New York (Dodgers, Giants, Yankees, Giants, Knickerbockers, Rangers).

Philadelphia is the only city (I think - I'm writing this at 5am while half-asleep so I could be wrong about this one) to have lost both professional baseball (A's) and basketball (Warriors) franchises, yet which has both professional baseball (Phillies) and basketball (76ers) franchises today.

By the time they had taken the court as an expansion team, the Miami Heat had already signed a player to a contract whose total value exceeded its expansion fee (Rony Seikaly - sp?)

New York metropolian area technicality has nine teams now (Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders, and Devils).

Both the As and Warriors are in Oakland after making stops in Kansas City and San Francisco.

The Warriors were never in KC that was the Kings who were the Cincinnati Royals.

No. What I meant was the As were in Kansas City and Warriors were in San Francisco.

As were Philadelphia (1901-1954), Kansas City (1955-1967), and Oakland (1968-present).

Warriors were Philadelphia (1946-1963), San Francisco (1963-1975), and Oakland (1975-present). You misunderstood me.

Ah indeed I did. My apologies. You know I kinda wish the A's had stayed in KC. Then I would have 4 World Series to look back on instead of one.

I swear there is a similar thread to this from not that long ago. But I cannot recall the title.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I swear there is a similar thread to this from not that long ago. But I cannot recall the title.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/104001-your-favorite-stats/#entry2459112

I should've given it an Admiralian thread title. Then it would've stuck around more.

Wow I can't believe I missed that. I read through the last year's worth of threads looking for anything to do with stats or figures, and I didn't see anything. My bad.

San Diego @ Toronto is the only inter-league matchup that hasn't happened yet.

Wow, that's incredible. They've played 3 series against each other, all in San Diego. Most recently in 2013.

41 of the 122 teams in the four major sports league have played in at least one other city. Or about 34 percent of all teams.

100% of the 122 teams in the four major sports leagues have played in at least one other city.

Nobody plays all their games at home! :upside:

• Like 1

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

41 of the 122 teams in the four major sports league have played in at least one other city. Or about 34 percent of all teams.

Does that count the Ravens, who apparently didn't play in Cleveland?

Or the Hornets, who were just inactive for a while and didn't actually move to New Orleans?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Or the Hornets, who were just inactive for a while and didn't actually move to New Orleans?

I was wondering that myself. Officially, it should not. I guess.

Right now it's 41 but maybe a few more years from now it can be 35. Or zero.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

100% of the 122 teams in the four major sports leagues have played in at least one other city.

Nobody plays all their games at home! :upside:

College football is trying...

Richard Nixon played for Duke University in the 1942 Rose Bowl.

But what's even more interesting about that is that it's the only Rose Bowl not played in Pasadena, California.

Mac's statement is correct, but the original statement is totally false . Richard Nixon graduated from the Duke Law School in 1937. By the time the 1942 Rose Bowl was played (in Durham) he was about to turn 29 years old, and he and his wife Pat were preparing to move from his home state of California to a new job in Washington DC.

• Like 1

It is what it is.

Richard Nixon played for Duke University in the 1942 Rose Bowl.

But what's even more interesting about that is that it's the only Rose Bowl not played in Pasadena, California.

Mac's statement is correct, but the original statement is totally false . Richard Nixon graduated from the Duke Law School in 1937. By the time the 1942 Rose Bowl was played (in Durham) he was about to turn 29 heyears old a and his wife Pat were preparing to move from his home state of California to a new job in Washington DC.

Yes, your right. I must have gotten the two stats mixed up again.

Well, technically no. The Browns franchise stayed and the team itself move. It is difference between the team and the franchise. This has happened a few times in the history of sports. It happened in 2006 with the San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer. The franchise the Earthquakes stayed and the team itself moved to Houston and became the Houston Dynamo. It also happened in 2002 with the American Hockey League team the Hamilton Bulldogs. It happened with the Major League Lacrosse team the Chicago Machine.

Some quarterback stats.

Super Bowl XXXVII was between Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson. Both of these quarterbacks were drafted by the Vikings and spent time with the Redskins.

There is a trend of 49er quarterbacks going to the Chiefs. Steve Deberg, Joe Montana, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, and Alex Smith.

In the late 1990s, the Saints had two quarterbacks named Billy Joe. Billy Joe Hobert and Billy Joe Tolliver.

During the cowboys super bowl runs in the 1990s, Jason Garrett was on the second and third team as a back up to Troy Aikman. On the third team, the other back up was Wade Wilson. Both Garrett and Wilson are coaches for the Cowboys now. Garrett is the head coach and Wilson is the quarterbacks coach.

Chris Chandler has the record for starting a game with the most teams at seven.

The highest scoring and the largest come back in a college bowl game was the 2001 GMAC Bowl between Marshall and East Carolina. The two quarterbacks were Bryon Leftwich and David Garrard. They were both drafted and played for the Jacksonville Jaguars at the same time.

Gale Gilbert was on five straight super bowl teams with the Bills and Chargers. All of them losses.

Jim Kelly and Dan Marino are both from the Pittsburgh Area. They both played for AFC North teams. Neither of them won the Super Bowl. Both of there last games were against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Tom Brady, Drew Bledsoe, and Steve Grogan have started over half of the games played by the New England Patriots.

Brett Favre was the first quarterback to win against every team. Kerry Collins won against every team except for the Dolphins.

Norm Van Brocklin still owns the record for most passing yards in a game with 554. Second place is a two-way tie between Warren Moon and Matt Schaub at 527.

Between his time in the CFL and NFL, Warren Moon started a game in four different decades.

John Elway is the oldest Quarterback to win the Super Bowl at 40. Ben Roethlisberger is the youngest at 23.

Between his years in the All American Football League and The NFL, Otto Graham won seven championships in his career.

Don't you EVER mention that game again. Do you hear me?!

Ken Morrow and Neal Broten are the only members of the 1980 Olympic team to win the Stanley Cup. Neal Broton was also the first winner of the Hobey Baker Trophy in 1979 (College Hockey's Most Valuable Player).

Neal Broten is also the only player to win the MN High School State Championship, NCAA championship, Hobey Baker, Stanley Cup, and Olympic Gold Medal.